The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Tires with nitrogen instead of air?

Showing results 1 to 14 of 14
    Experienced TGC Member

Tires with nitrogen instead of air?

I was wondering if its better to fill nitrogen in tires instead of air?? I was at local shop this morning and they say its better and can good gas mileage and keeps tires cool?

You are here entirely tooo much!! SkylineG1's Avatar
    That's what they did to mine.

Experienced TGC Member krispy03's Avatar
    i have helium

Yup, thats what I do, and what we provide free to our customers.

If your interested in more information about why its used now, go here www.getnitrogen.com

Experienced TGC Member

Re: Tires with nitrogen instead of air?

Quote Originally Posted by furiousgtz
    I was wondering if its better to fill nitrogen in tires instead of air?? I was at local shop this morning and they say its better and can good gas mileage and keeps tires cool?
    To be quite honest, i doubt the average person would really notice the difference between Nitrogen and Air. Nitrogen particles are bigger which means that its harder for them to seep out of the tire, differentiations in temperature dont affect Nitrogen the way Air is effected, its lighter than air.

That to me does not justify the $3+ required to refill your tires with Nitrogen. Besides, air is just as good as long as you keep an eye on the psi of your tires. Nitrogen isnt exactly worry free either.

*Its kinda like the differences between 10w-30 motor oil, and 5w-30. The differences are so minimal that the average person wont even notice

You are here entirely tooo much!! SkylineG1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 6G72Galant
    To be quite honest, i doubt the average person would really notice the difference between Nitrogen and Air. Nitrogen particles are bigger which means that its harder for them to seep out of the tire, differentiations in temperature dont affect Nitrogen the way Air is effected, its lighter than air.

That to me does not justify the $3+ required to refill your tires with Nitrogen. Besides, air is just as good as long as you keep an eye on the psi of your tires. Nitrogen isnt exactly worry free either.
    You should go to a better wheel & tire shop. They did mine for free.

Not worry free but a whole lot more comforting. Even negating the benefit of stable tire inflation by regularly maintaining your tires air pressure, nitrogen is still a bonus.

Nitrogen will allow for reduced corrosion build up inside the wheel, plus less issues with rusting steel strand wire use to make up the bead wire and the steel tread plies.

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    If you do any form of racing, it is nice. Nitrogen is more consistent then air. You dont have to check your tire pressure after each run to make sure its right.
    7g for life!

Experienced TGC Member
    Quote Originally Posted by seth98esT
    If you do any form of racing, it is nice. Nitrogen is more consistent then air. You dont have to check your tire pressure after each run to make sure its right.
    Like i said, the average person doesnt even check his/her air pressure in their tires. I had some guy come into Goodyear last week who seemed suprised when i told him that he had 15psi in his rear passenger tire. He was even more suprised when i told him that he ACTUALLY HAD TO check his tire pressure every once in a while. He gave me this weird look and said "are you serious? I really ahve to check my tire pressure? How much is that going to cost me? OMG do i like have to remove my whole tire to do that?"

Im not trying to down Nitrogen. Its pretty cool that science is finding new ways to make cars perform better.

Like i said, the average person doesnt even check his/her air pressure in their tires. I had some guy come into Goodyear last week who seemed suprised when i told him that he had 15psi in his rear passenger tire. He was even more suprised when i told him that he ACTUALLY HAD TO check his tire pressure every once in a while. He gave me this weird look and said "are you serious? I really ahve to check my tire pressure? How much is that going to cost me? OMG do i like have to remove my whole tire to do that?"

Im not trying to down Nitrogen. Its pretty cool that science is finding new ways to make cars perform better.
    No, I don't think your downing it either. But its really beneficial, even if your on top of your tire pressure for reduced corrosion of the wheel and tire itself.

I have had nitrogen in my cars for almost two years. We've gone almost an extra 10,000 miles on the same type of tires on the same car. Not to mention the gas mileage when up 3-4 mpg.

Experienced TGC Member glantv699's Avatar
    I got all four of my 18's filled for $10 in March/April...great results thus far :smt023

> TGCPA - SOUTHEAST
    > 2010 Evolution X SE #183 of 340 (1 of 54 in Octane Blue)
    > 1999 ES V6 (Sold 2/2011)

Experienced TGC Member
    Ehh...i might give it a try one of these days. Just to see what all the rave is about. :?

Ehh...i might give it a try one of these days. Just to see what all the rave is about. :?
    There really is no downsides.

Experienced TGC Member 6G72gearhead's Avatar
    Getting an excessive acceleration ticket.

The problem comes in when you adjust tire pressures alot, and heat them up to extremes. Yes nitrogen stays more consistant, but it still expands and contracts. I'll take tires out on a 70* day and have them up to 150+ after the first warm up. Even nitrogen makes a considerable expansion in that temprature change. Every run I check temps and let air out to keep the pressure where I want it. I'll start out at 55 in the front and 48 in the rear, keep them there as the tires get hot and when they cool down they'll go to 30ish psi. Thats with air, but I still have to have a way of filling them at the track, and I dont think any place is going to fill my air tank with nitrogen for free, where as I already have an air compressor.
    RIP: Colin McRae, you will be missed.
    "I shall go before thee and make the crooked places straight."

2001 ES V6 M/T under construction
    1991 Volvo 244ti 300 whp daily driver
    www.gooichimotorsports.com