The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: KYB AGX vs GR-2

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Showing results 21 to 40 of 70
    The AGX's are not ride height adjustable, just damping force adjustable. If you want to change ride height you would need a coilover setup.

222whp/250wtq

You are here entirely tooo much!! RAZ_76's Avatar
    AGX+TEINS=decent ride but not very low, great for a daily driver that does not want it too bouncy. This is my Galant with that setup I just I described.

And here is my ride now with Megan Racing Damper Kit, bouncy in my opinion.

What size rims/tires do you have?

I personally really like the look of the AGX/Tein setup, but I'm just very concerned about rubbing when having rear passengers.

I have 18x7 with 225 40 18 (i believe), as well as a loaded trunk. (I'd say 150lbs. min.)

I don't always have rear passengers, but I really don't want to sacrifice the versatility of having a 5 seat car. Maybe when I have the money for 2 cars, but right now I would like to have my options open and not turn people down for a ride just b/c of my suspension setup.

For what you described, KYB AGX+Tein s-techs would be a better choice. On my daily Galant I have gr-2s with Tein S- techs and it's perfect, even when I have passengers in the back but I also have my rear lip folded too. I have 19x7.5 +42 offset with 225/35/19 tires on my garage queen.

Quote Originally Posted by CHICAGO_ONE
    What size rims/tires do you have?

I personally really like the look of the AGX/Tein setup, but I'm just very concerned about rubbing when having rear passengers.

I have 18x7 with 225 40 18 (i believe), as well as a loaded trunk. (I'd say 150lbs. min.)

I don't always have rear passengers, but I really don't want to sacrifice the versatility of having a 5 seat car. Maybe when I have the money for 2 cars, but right now I would like to have my options open and not turn people down for a ride just b/c of my suspension setup.
    i have 18x7.5 wheels, and 225/40 tires, and agx/s.techs, i dont think you will have a huge problem with rubbing, i have never rubbed.

so where is the KYB AGX vs GR-2 actual answer? because some members just stated what they have and how it rides, but no one said which are better!! i would like to know because i have a new set of skunk2, H&R sport springs and planning on buying the new Tein H lowering springs because it only lowers the car 1" front and 0.9 rear, can someone tell me which will work better with any of those springs!! thanks

KYB GR-2s are considered like a stock replacement but 30% better. Meaning will handle lowering better then a stock strut would. KYB AGX is adjustable and has 4 dampening settings. I've had both, they are both great. One is about 250 for all 4 and the other is around 400 for all four. The ride is great with both applications.

With your Megan's, Is it just bouncy all the time, or when you have it dropped all the way down?
    How good is the height adjustment?
    Does it go from stock height and down?

Like I said, I would prefer height adjustment to avoid problems with these Chicago winters. So Im guessing the Megans would be worth the extra investment for what Im looking for.

Experienced TGC Member Kalamidad's Avatar
    Chicago, when i said i would loose some drop, i meant that the car would look higher until it settles and because the Eclipse v6 equiptment is designed for a heavier engine. i have a i4

DJFlex, As for which is better, Gr2s are good enough for a moderate drop. AGX are better because of the adjustability of the ride comfort but they are more expensive. If you got the money i say go AGX all around. If you need to keep costs down, go with GR2s but don't be surprised if you have to replace them in a year or two.
    -Pedro

so agx is the way to go, but does anyone have anything similar (i.e. a diff. brand) to the agx's?? b/c i cant find them anywhere for the 8g application... planning on getting springs but need something to hold it up and i don't know of anything trustworthy besides agx or tokico for the 8g

Quote Originally Posted by Kalamidad View Post
    Chicago, when i said i would loose some drop, i meant that the car would look higher until it settles and because the Eclipse v6 equiptment is designed for a heavier engine. i have a i4

DJFlex, As for which is better, Gr2s are good enough for a moderate drop. AGX are better because of the adjustability of the ride comfort but they are more expensive. If you got the money i say go AGX all around. If you need to keep costs down, go with GR2s but don't be surprised if you have to replace them in a year or two.
    thanks pedro, i just bought this set on ebay for like 385 shipped!

and i'm planning to get this set of brand new tein high tech springs "new one on the market"

but i'm concerned because the GTZ comes a littler lower from the front already i don't know if you guyz noticed that, so when the JDM Front bumper was installed, it looked like it has an extra lip on the bottom front as you know, i went to do the inspection on my car and i didn't believe that when i was entering the shop my bottom front was touching the ground at stock height, so i guess if i lower it more even though those teins only lower the car 1 inch front, 0.9 rear would that be an issue? here in NY when it rains to much all you see is a lot of places flooded! so i'm not sure if i should use stock springs or Tein H what do you guyz think??

this is the description of those springs
    Tein springs are made in Japan using the highest quality materials and the latest technology to ensure that you get only the best for your ride. Constructed of Vanadium, the Tein High Tech springs are desing for those who want a slightly lowered stance while maintaining good ride quality. Tein springs will not sag like other lower quality springs on the market!!
    This kit lowers your vehicle approximately -1.1" FRONT / -.9" REAR
    Spring rates are 218 front / 157 rear.
    Designed to be used in conjunction with stock shocks/struts.
    These springs are 100% genuine Tein H.Tech Springs, brand new in the original box, so please bid with confidence!!!
    Shipping to Canada is an additional $35 via USPS Priority Mail (6-10 days)

When lowering a car with KYB AGX and Eibach springs is it necessary to get a chamber kit?

Experienced TGC Member Kalamidad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by djflex167 View Post

this is the description of those springs
    Tein springs are made in Japan using the highest quality materials and the latest technology to ensure that you get only the best for your ride. Constructed of Vanadium, the Tein High Tech springs are desing for those who want a slightly lowered stance while maintaining good ride quality. Tein springs will not sag like other lower quality springs on the market!!
    This kit lowers your vehicle approximately -1.1" FRONT / -.9" REAR
    Spring rates are 218 front / 157 rear.
    Designed to be used in conjunction with stock shocks/struts.
    These springs are 100% genuine Tein H.Tech Springs, brand new in the original box, so please bid with confidence!!!
    Shipping to Canada is an additional $35 via USPS Priority Mail (6-10 days)
    You'll be fine. i drove around in NY for years dropped on TIENs. The only thing was when it snowed i plowed, but other than that you'll be fine. you know better than to drive into mounts of ICE. As for the water, your car should be water proofed underneath. But again, if you can go around a puddle, it's always a better idea to just do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Rambo819 View Post
    When lowering a car with KYB AGX and Eibach springs is it necessary to get a chamber kit?
    Search for information on that set up. There is plenty here. The short of it is, it depends on how your car settles on the drop. I didn't need one at first and eventually did. search the suspension forum, I think this is it actually.
    -Pedro

You'll be fine. i drove around in NY for years dropped on TIENs. The only thing was when it snowed i plowed, but other than that you'll be fine. you know better than to drive into mounts of ICE. As for the water, your car should be water proofed underneath. But again, if you can go around a puddle, it's always a better idea to just do so.

Search for information on that set up. There is plenty here. The short of it is, it depends on how your car settles on the drop. I didn't need one at first and eventually did. search the suspension forum, I think this is it actually.
    thanks for the info pedro!

Quote Originally Posted by QnzMostWanted View Post
    I have tein s-techs with GR2s, great ride, not bouncy, but stiffer than stocks and will definitely hold to a lowered ride

the AGX have adjustable stiffness and allow u to soften or stiffen ur ride to ur specs,

its a matter of choice, with KYB u get a lifetime warranty on their products as long as u have ur receipt, choice is urs, im happy with my Gr2s tho
    i thought the KYB warranty was void if you have after market springs

Experienced TGC Member
    If you got the money i say go AGX all around. If you need to keep costs down, go with GR2s but don't be surprised if you have to replace them in a year or two.
    WTF do you mean replace them in a year or two? Please tell me youre not serious. You bought new GR2's and had to replace them within that amount of time??? :(

Quote Originally Posted by 6G72Galant View Post
    WTF do you mean replace them in a year or two? Please tell me youre not serious. You bought new GR2's and had to replace them within that amount of time??? :(
    you have to replace them within that amount of time if you use lowering springs on them, if you use factory oem springs they will last a lot longer!

Experienced TGC Member
    Quote Originally Posted by djflex167 View Post
    you have to replace them within that amount of time if you use lowering springs on them, if you use factory oem springs they will last a lot longer!
    ArRrRgh! Ok now im pissed. Alright...how many members here have actually had to replace their GR2's? Im pretty sure my stock struts are shot to shit at this point. And i have some GR2's on the way. I havent ordered any lowering springs yet, but i will be ordering some soon. At this point i dont care. Im gonna install the GR2's with lowering springs, and if they go...then they go. I really wish i wouldve know this ahead of time though.:(

Quote Originally Posted by 6G72Galant View Post
    ArRrRgh! Ok now im pissed. Alright...how many members here have actually had to replace their GR2's? Im pretty sure my stock struts are shot to shit at this point. And i have some GR2's on the way. I havent ordered any lowering springs yet, but i will be ordering some soon. At this point i dont care. Im gonna install the GR2's with lowering springs, and if they go...then they go. I really wish i wouldve know this ahead of time though.:(
    yeah, i found that out in here somewhere so i decided to buy the eclipse 00-05 kyb agx instead because they will last longer but its crazy because i'm going to be using factory oem springs on them instead of lowering springs! maybe later i'll install tein h. tech lowering springs!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast