The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Anyone using Synthetic??

Showing results 1 to 9 of 9
    Tiptronic

Anyone using Synthetic??

i just got an oil change today. started using penzoil synthetic. i know that you dont have to change it as often, but as best to anyones knowledge, how often should you change synthetic oil. i have heard everything from 5000-7500 miles. can i get some feedback

Experienced TGC Member HeadAche's Avatar
    Im running on Castrol syntec, and i change it about every 5k miles, wheather it needs it or not.
    I Shook You At The Track, My Boyz Threw Asprin On The Floor, They Said Now You Gotta Headache...

The illiterate of the twenty-first century will not be those who can not read or write, but those who can not learn, un-learn and re-learn.

it needs to be changed at the exact same intervals. it accumulates debris as fast as ordinary oils. its major advantage is resistance to extreem temps, both hot and cold (where ordinary oils either solidify or boil, it still works great).

trust me, extending oil change intervals just because youre using synthetic is a BAD idea.

Tiptronic
    i was also reading an old post, and ppl were saying that they noticed a big difference immediately. cant say that i notice a differenc yet

Quote Originally Posted by MITSU_I4
    i was also reading an old post, and ppl were saying that they noticed a big difference immediately. cant say that i notice a differenc yet
    you wont notice a difference in ANYTHING, except maybe cold starting (below zero).

as far as the physics of the engine are concerned, all youve done is make the engine less likely to be damaged by extreem temperature conditions.
    thats it.

its definatly a better oil, especially in the long term. but it will not effect performance in the slightest.

I just got an oil change and i started using MObil 1 i drive a lot more now so i figured it would be better protection for my motor.

Quote Originally Posted by RedGalant2k1
    I just got an oil change and i started using MObil 1 i drive a lot more now so i figured it would be better protection for my motor.
    that it is.
    long term especially.

and its largest advantage comes with the bitter cold. im not sure your climate, though.

Tiptronic
    im up too 78,000, so i figured it was time.

Quote Originally Posted by manybrews
    that it is.
    long term especially.

and its largest advantage comes with the bitter cold. im not sure your climate, though.

Michigan so yeah this time of year it gets below freezing...Plus driving 20,000+ miles per year i think i can spare the extra $10-20 each 3000-4000 miles to better take care of my second largest investment. The Galant deserves every bit of it.

Quote Originally Posted by MITSU_I4
    im up too 78,000, so i figured it was time.
    i am just about to break 43,000 miles :shock: