The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Fuel gauge

Showing results 1 to 12 of 12

Fuel gauge

I installed my GDI gauges the other day and now my fuel gauge will not work. I have tried everything to make it work. Does anyone have any other ideas? I don't want to take it to the dealership because I know tha the warranty would be voided since I was messing with the gauges.
    Chapin y Boriqua que mezcla

take out the EL gauge for the gas gause. and see if it works or not. if it does, its the guages rubbing. if it doesn't then u broke the mechanism that moves the needle

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pinoyesv6)</div><div class='quotemain'>take out the EL gauge for the gas gause. and see if it works or not. if it does, its the guages rubbing. if it doesn't then u broke the mechanism that moves the needle</div>

if it is the mechanism is that sometihng that can be fixed or does the entire gauge cluster need to be replaced? plus i have a 2002 and i know it won't be covered under warranty.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(gizmo)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pinoyesv6)</div><div class='quotemain'>take out the EL gauge for the gas gause. and see if it works or not. if it does, its the guages rubbing. if it doesn't then u broke the mechanism that moves the needle</div>

if it is the mechanism is that sometihng that can be fixed or does the entire gauge cluster need to be replaced? plus i have a 2002 and i know it won't be covered under warranty.</div>

if its the mechanism, you are gonna have to either take it to the dealer or get a new cluster, old or new and transplant the parts from the new cluster u got to your present cluster. i and mante have done it ourselves, and it isn't pretty. the mechanism that turn the needles in our clusters are very fagile and you have to be very careful with them or they will break. i broke a coupe of mine when installing my guages and that was only because i messed up putting in my guages so that i can have a better idea of how to fix things when things do go wrong with u guys

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(gizmo)</div><div class='quotemain'>if it is the mechanism is that sometihng that can be fixed or does the entire gauge cluster need to be replaced? plus i have a 2002 and i know it won't be covered under warranty.</div>

Take the gauges out. Say your gas gauge doesn't work, act like you have no clue why it doesn't work and hopefully they won't get any idea and they'll fix it for you.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pinoyesv6)</div><div class='quotemain'>if its the mechanism, you are gonna have to either take it to the dealer or get a new cluster, old or new and transplant the parts from the new cluster u got to your present cluster. i and mante have done it ourselves, and it isn't pretty. the mechanism that turn the needles in our clusters are very fagile and you have to be very careful with them or they will break. i broke a coupe of mine when installing my guages and that was only because i messed up putting in my guages so that i can have a better idea of how to fix things when things do go wrong with u guys</div>

good excuse But really thats cool too its good to know what things include and what it takes to fix it.

well it seems like the mechanism is broke :evil: :evil:

Now if I take it to the dealer will they replace the cluster or just fix the fuel mechanism? Reason I ask is because on one spot of the reverse gauges I had to super glue it down so the temp needle could move. If they have to replace the whole cluster that means I'll have to tear the gauge put and probably break it. Keep in mind that my 2002 cluster is all one piece.

This really sucks I reallly took my time putting these in. Atleast they look good at nite. :blue:

Is it safe to rely on the fuel light or is that connected to the needle?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(gizmo)</div><div class='quotemain'>well it seems like the mechanism is broke Â*:evil: Â*:evil: Â*

Now if I take it to the dealer will they replace the cluster or just fix the fuel mechanism? Â*Reason I ask is because on one spot of the reverse gauges I had to super glue it down so the temp needle could move. If they have to replace the whole cluster that means I'll have to tear the gauge put and probably break it. Keep in mind that my 2002 cluster is all one piece.

This really sucks I reallly took my time putting these in. Atleast they look good at nite. :blue: Â*

Is it safe to rely on the fuel light or is that connected to the needle?</div>

you got to make it look like u didn't even put the gauges in...like it jsut happend on its own.

as for the fuel light, yea its not connected to the needle. it has its own seperate mechanism. but i'd still take notes as to when u fill up, how much and how many miles u drive...can't really tell if the fuel light is broke until u run out of gas

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(gizmo)</div><div class='quotemain'>well it seems like the mechanism is broke Â*:evil: Â*:evil: Â*

Now if I take it to the dealer will they replace the cluster or just fix the fuel mechanism? Â*Reason I ask is because on one spot of the reverse gauges I had to super glue it down so the temp needle could move. If they have to replace the whole cluster that means I'll have to tear the gauge put and probably break it. Keep in mind that my 2002 cluster is all one piece.

This really sucks I reallly took my time putting these in. Atleast they look good at nite. :blue: Â*

Is it safe to rely on the fuel light or is that connected to the needle?</div>

Did you get pics of the gauges in your 02 Cluster?

Do you have a small pic tool? Use that to slowly and carefully remove the superglue take your time as not to crack, bend, rip, etc.

here's a pic
    notice the blue behind the bezel?

I'm going to play it by ear for right now. I want to get my rims so the gauge is going to have to wait. I''ll just be checking the mileage a little more often.

This is off subject but where can I get a 2 harnesses for the tailights cuz I ordered the JDM's through DANJ. I went to the dealership ans the idiot said I had to buy the whole tailight assembly if I wanted the harnesses. F*$#%in crooks :doubleup:

Wow, nice clean job. I absolutely hate the new strange muddy-blue tinted 02 gauges. The GDI's are so much better. Well, hope you can get the gauges out alright. You know, you might want to read the label on the super glue you used to see what it takes to remove the glue. Maybe all it takes is some nail polish remover or the like. But uh, hope that doesn't mess anything else up. Better do some more research for a remedy first. Good Luck.

[size=10]<span style='color:white'>. . . .</span>

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TJC)</div><div class='quotemain'>Wow, nice clean job. I absolutely hate the new strange muddy-blue tinted 02 gauges. The GDI's are so much better. Well, hope you can get the gauges out alright. You know, you might want to read the label on the super glue you used to see what it takes to remove the glue. Maybe all it takes is some nail polish remover or the like. But uh, hope that doesn't mess anything else up. Better do some more research for a remedy first. Good Luck.</div>
    You're right as usual TJ. Acetone (Nail Polish remover) normally removes super glue. However I don't know what Acetone will do to the thin plastic layer on the GDI gauges. So test it on an inconspicuous area first.

Chip
    Chip

2000 Basalt Black Metallic GTZ
    (Paint Code: Porsche LC9Z)

Genuine experience carries a lot more credibility than the ability to answer a question.

Tiller
    note to self...

"never fuck with your gauges"...