The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: subs for type of music?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 22
    You are here entirely tooo much!! 99 galant's Avatar

subs for type of music?

what size of subs are the best for each type of music?

You are here entirely tooo much!! fatal1's Avatar
    doesnt go by that really....if you wantdeep hard hitting bass go bigger more powerfull, if you want just a little extra bass or more hits go smaller, if you go with a 12" you should be fine for whatever, even a 10 would be good but make sure you get something good dont just get something because it was cheap

im going for pioneer, but ive heard ppl say 10 is better for this and 12 is better for that but idr the music they said

What type of music do you mostly listen to?

Experienced TGC Member glantv699's Avatar
    yeah, fatal is correct. a single quality sub can get the job done. Like you're saying, it may seem that certain setups would fit specific genres better, but you can control that. For example, I have one 12" sub and will listen to things from indie to heavy bass tracks. It hits clean and the bass isn't overwhelming. But say that guy rolls up next to you with all those subs pumping and making everyone deaf....I can't match that but I can make the trunk lid shake like a mofo and people will know you have a system too haha

> TGCPA - SOUTHEAST
    > 2010 Evolution X SE #183 of 340 (1 of 54 in Octane Blue)
    > 1999 ES V6 (Sold 2/2011)

Quote Originally Posted by RedGalant2k1
    What type of music do you mostly listen to?
    mostly R&B or rap as people call it, some rock when my girlfriend and her sister play their cds

Quote Originally Posted by glantv699
    yeah, fatal is correct. a single quality sub can get the job done. Like you're saying, it may seem that certain setups would fit specific genres better, but you can control that. For example, I have one 12" sub and will listen to things from indie to heavy bass tracks. It hits clean and the bass isn't overwhelming. But say that guy rolls up next to you with all those subs pumping and making everyone deaf....I can't match that but I can make the trunk lid shake like a mofo and people will know you have a system too haha
    should i get the sound proofing trunk liner too then?

i used to have a 12" but then i put a 10"

10" hit harder than 12" but twelves give a little more bass because of the extra space to move more air

"DSM's, making people mechanics since 1985"
    Quote Originally Posted by polishmafia
    You want real respect from those fools? Don't race him. Tell him racing is a sport left to young boys who are still waiting for their balls to drop. Then while he's out racing, fuck his girlfriend in the ass, take pics, and leave them on his car while hes at school.

so which would u recomend?

Experienced TGC Member Divinity's Avatar
    Size really doesn't matter for subs really, just the quality of the subs... correct match up with the amp (as in amp can push enough power to run at the subs max and continuous RMS)... and the box type. If you want deep and accurate hits, go with a sealed box, if you want louder and deeper bass, go with a vented/ported box. For hip hop and rap... I'd go with a vented box. Also, I say go with one or two 12". Sound proofing, something like dynamat isn't really necessary if you don't want it, but it doesn't produce better sound and can help stop that annoying rattling. If you don't want to spend the money for dynamat, search for a thread about ghetto mat in tgc, which is just stuff that is pretty much the same as dynamat, but sold at lowe's or home depot. It's inexpensive and you don't have to pay for branding like you would if you went with dynamat.
    ~Lady Driven~

i think i would sound proof it, im going with a set up of all pioneer, a amp 2 subs and you suggest a vented box? where can i get one since the pioneer stuff im getting cheap at either walmart or bestbuy i dont think walmart has a vented box but bestbuy might have one

Quote Originally Posted by 99 galant
    so which would u recomend?
    Minimum i'd recommend 12s. 10s won't be able to produce enough of the low parts in rap and r&b to be worthwhile. For that matter I'd also recommend a sealed box. Unless you get a quality vented or bandpass box. But seeing as most people buy off-the-shelf boxes you won't be so fortunate.

12" sealed box.

And soundproofing the car will (if done properly) significantly increase the perceived power output of your system. Plus its worth it if your like to listen to music without those annoying and embarrassing rattles and shakes.

sound proof just the trunk or the doors too?

If you are going to get a vented box, I say get one custom made at an audio shop so they can tune it. But if you want you want an already built box for now, get a sealed one. Later, you can always change.
    ~Lady Driven~

For now you can just do the trunk... that is going to rattle the most. Later you can do the doors or the entire car if you wanted. I just say do the trunk now, but do it properly, just don't put the mat on the trunk lid
    ~Lady Driven~

yea thats true, how do i sound proof the trunk, all around or just under the carpet? is there a tutorial?

I would strip the entire trunk, and put the mat on the bare metal (clean off the metal first if you want, it'll stick a little better, but that's just me). I think in your other post about trunk enclosures (or someone's post) Prophet had a picture of his trunk matted up, just examine that closely.
    ~Lady Driven~

yes that was mine, im afraid to take the carpet out tho and not know how to put it back in, do you mat the trunk lid too?

You are here entirely tooo much!! fatal1's Avatar
    actually the mat is needed on the lid, on my old car that was all i actually wound up doing and it cvompletelyt got rid of the rattle just about....just doesnt look pleasing asthetically really but you can always get trunk or box carpeting and cover it

not many people look at the lid anyways, ill try ONLY doing that first and see how it sounds, nothing is going in until after next month bcuz my 6 month insurance is due

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast