The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: What should I use when changing the color of rims

Showing results 1 to 5 of 5

What should I use when changing the color of rims

Just wanted to know what do I need to get to change my rim color? would I need a spray and something else? Cause never did it before.

Click here

And if that link doesn't work. Up at the top of the page right underneath the banner third over from the left.

I know this topic has been discussed SEVERAL times so please do us all a favor and stop being lazy and actually search.

222whp/250wtq

totally depends on what kinda finish you want. crayola washable finger paints are awesome for testing out colors. don't like a color, hose the paint off and try a new one. it also gives you a chance to have some bonding time with the children.

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    This is what I did, my wheels were originally chrome so I probably had to sand more then someone wantint to paint non-chrome wheels.

I started off sanding the entire wheel with some 100 grit sand paper, then 400 grit, then 800 grit. I cleaned the wheels, used painters tape to tape off the tire, and used some Duplicolor self etching primer(its like a flat olive green, pretty sweet stuff). I would do 2-4 light layers of the primer, let it dry, thne do a quick wet sand with the 800 grit. I repeated that primer process at least 3 times.

After letting the primer dry for several hours I gave each wheel 3 light coats of the Duplicolor semi-gloss wheel paint. Again same as the primer process, let it dry, quick 800 grit wet sand(clean after the sand of course), and repeat the process again. If I remember correctly I went through the paint process 8 times with the wheel paint.

Lastly after letting the paint dry and one last wet sand, I used the Duplicolor wheel clear, I gave each wheel 2 light coats of the clear, let it dry, then one mediumish coat.

So far, since I painted the wheels in Feburary, only one has some paint chipped off around the edge of the wheel, but its not bad at all. Wayyyy better then chrome!
    7g for life!

yes. seth is right on the money.

when you clean the wheels you shodl use a top notch solvent.... like laquer thinner or denatured alcohol.
    even brake parts cleaner... but the key is that you want the best cohesion possible for that first coat of primer.... this will ensure a solid bond... and a durable finish.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo