The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Smokin' big killa, gettin' high in tha Benz

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 21
    TGC Regular

Smokin' big killa, gettin' high in tha Benz

Well here she is. My first diesel and my first Mercedes. She is a W201 1984 Mercedes 190D 2.2. Yup, a Baby Benz.

The guy I bought if from really took care of the mechanical parts of the car. The engine has a lot of new parts, recent front end work, and new brake pads.

That's the good stuff, plus the fact it is a pretty solid car and it runs extremely well. 38mpg (so the guy said) isn't a bad thing either!

As you can tell, it needs a paint job really bad. It also needs that dent fixed in the back. The Explorer is going to the shop next week for some touch up work so I am hoping sometime after that I can get this in the shop to get the dent fixed at least. Then I can start putting it in primer. I'm going to try to find a taillight at the junkyard sometime this week. Since the headlights could use replacing, I plan to put in some Depo Euro headlights down the road. I also have a couple trim pieces I need to find.

I plan to start cleaning out the interior during this next week after work. It needs a few little things here and there inside but I think it will clean up very nicely after I detail it.

It is pretty dirty right now partly due to the fact I had it in the lawn when the guy who cuts our lawn came. Doh.

Gotta have a place for a first aid kit

Too bad its gone

Dirty trunk.

Dirty but strong engine! I love the sound of a diesel!

You are here entirely tooo much!! 99 galant's Avatar
    wow thats not that bad of a car, sounds like you have some good plans for it good luck with the project

the interior is in mint condition... body parts and that engine needs a little loving.. but over all it looks good

FOUNDER OF THE EVO WING ON A G GROUP member #1

that car is from back when mercedes still made the indestructible diesel engines. That thing will run forever if you maintain and service it properly. A guy who used to come to my schools auto shop had one. He said something about how that engine could survive the electromagnetic wave from a nuclear bomb, and would still run... nice pickup

00' Diamante LS
    93' Galant n/a (gave to my bro)

Experienced TGC Member Blue Ice's Avatar
    If you'll allow me this one second to be a h8r, but that car(in current condition) looks like you pulled it out of the bottom of that pond it's sitting next to.

Personally, it looks like you are getting caught in a money pit. Most people restore cars that are considered collectors items and sell them for a profit. This looks like you'll put a lot of money into it and the value will not increase.

But Opinions are like A__ Holes, and mine may stink...

I love MB's
    so what do you say? your benz vs my benz :)

1978 350SL (Imported) 4spd Manual

496hp 6.6L AMG Tuned V8

^^^^^dude thats a sweet ass Benz-oldschool

very nice! what color do you plan on painting it?

2011 Camry- 202 miles- just picked up 9/10/10
    2008 Pontiac G6- 26,065 miles- traded in
    1999 Galant ES- 91,846 miles- long gone

TGC Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by cdipier2
    very nice! what color do you plan on painting it?
    Probably a gloss black, very dark gray, or very dark silver. Most likely its going to be black. I am also going to paint the bumpers and sides to match.

the paint wont hold to those bumpers

btw, if u need parts, even tho u cross the country, i got a guy who specialized in old MB's, i would be able to get u some hard to find stuff

TGC Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Ice
    If you'll allow me this one second to be a h8r, but that car(in current condition) looks like you pulled it out of the bottom of that pond it's sitting next to.

Personally, it looks like you are getting caught in a money pit. Most people restore cars that are considered collectors items and sell them for a profit. This looks like you'll put a lot of money into it and the value will not increase.

But Opinions are like A__ Holes, and mine may stink...
    I see what you are saying but really its just some bodywork and a paint job. Other than that all it really needs is a good detail and some little odds and ends.I plan to do most of the work myself as I can use my dad's shop and he has a hoist and all the Snap-on tools I need :)

Really, I think I got a good deal because this thing is solid and it feels like it runs and drives just like the day it came out of the Mercedes dealership.

My 190 may not be a Cosworth but its still a w201 and according to Top Gear, The 190 Cosworth is going to be a collectors soon. If that goes up in value, I'm sure anything in the 190 lineup will as well. Interesting watch, its on after they talk about the Corrado. http://youtube.com/watch?v=GDfzqvM23YQ

nice benz, i really fell in love with the 93 500e recently. Till i noticed they run for like 17-19K with 80-100K on them
    00 Galant ES Turbo/5-Speed
    13 GTR

TGC Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by QnzMostWanted
    the paint wont hold to those bumpers

btw, if u need parts, even tho u cross the country, i got a guy who specialized in old MB's, i would be able to get u some hard to find stuff
    Thanks, I'll keep that in mind.

What do you recommend I do with the bumpers? Isn't there a primer out there that will allow the paint to hold? May some plastic primer?

Btw, your Benz is gorgeous :shock:

thanks, took 2 years to restore it

best thing to do with the bumpers is to get a rubber based paint, that way it can flex. the OEM bumpers are rubber so regular paint will just flake off like nothing

one thing u can use is mother's back to black, it will make the bumpers look like new and it doesnt take that long to do, just rub it in every time u wash ur car, its kinda like armor all for rubber

Mothers Back To Black

couple more pics of my benz for ya

original AMG Rims

My absolute dream car is still and always will be the 300 SL Roadster (55-57).

All I need now is like $400,000.

Very nice ride PGD! Is the diesel inline 6 more powerfull than a V6?

QNZ M-W! :shock:

now turn it into this
    RIP GALANT, GOOD MORNING BMW 330i

330i ZSP (E90) - S4 (B5) / hellaflush

that looks sick

TGC Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by QnzMostWanted
    that looks sick
    X2!

It gives me some new ideas.

I was out in the Benz and I found out the coolest thing. When I first bought the car I noticed there is no switch for the door locks. I have just assumed that meant there were no power locks but I assumed wrong. If you push one door lock down, you hear this motor kick in and one by one each lock goes down. When you pull the lock up, the rest go up one by one. They all go up and down when you use the key too. Also, when the doors are locked, the gas flap locks as well. I guess its to prevent people from putting stuff into your gas tank. Pretty neat.

gotta love the vip look... old benz's were made for that

00' Diamante LS
    93' Galant n/a (gave to my bro)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast