The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: shorter belt (remove ac pully)

Showing results 1 to 10 of 10
    Pid

shorter belt (remove ac pully)

what size belt would you need to by pass the A/C pully? will this effect anything other then cooling the inside of the car and what would the estimated hp gain be?

Experienced TGC Member HeadAche's Avatar

Re: shorter belt (remove ac pully)

Quote Originally Posted by Pid
    what size belt would you need to by pass the A/C pully? will this effect anything other then cooling the inside of the car and what would the estimated hp gain be?
    i cant remember the size of the belt off the top of my head, but the hp gain from passing the AC belt would be like 2-5hp approx.. its really hard to judge that..
    I Shook You At The Track, My Boyz Threw Asprin On The Floor, They Said Now You Gotta Headache...

The illiterate of the twenty-first century will not be those who can not read or write, but those who can not learn, un-learn and re-learn.

BlueESV6
    Wouldn't the HP gain matter if the A/C was running or not? I would think without the thing running you wouldn't gain any HP by bypassing it....

Senior TGC Member
    That's what I thought too...when the AC is off the little pulley thingy retracts and thus no more drain on engine power. Taking it out completely seems a bit drastic...
    "Daisy tumbled short of his dreams, not through her own fault, but because of the colossal vitality of his illusion... No amount of fire or freshness can challenge what a man will store up in his ghostly heart. " - F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

"I have not failed 700 times. I have not failed once. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work." - Thomas Edison

your HP gain?
    none. even if you left it attached AND had the car running, as it automatically shuts off the AC under W.O.T conditions.

Pid
    i was just wondering because i just did it to my friends mustang and he said it made a big diff. i know the hp is much greater and would change more drasticly in his car. by bypassing the ac pully it let the engine rev more freely because it was one less wheel for it to spin

True, let mass to spin and use up HP but it's such a small amount to begin with. And I never knew the AC shuts off at WOT conditions. That is definitely funny news to me.

[size=10]<span style='color:white'>. . . .</span>

Experienced TGC Member HeadAche's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pid
    i was just wondering because i just did it to my friends mustang and he said it made a big diff. i know the hp is much greater and would change more drasticly in his car. by bypassing the ac pully it let the engine rev more freely because it was one less wheel for it to spin
    I've heard the same thing my boy took out all A/C components on his TSI and he said the hp difference was noticeable i wont do it becasue i live in hot as florida..lol
    I Shook You At The Track, My Boyz Threw Asprin On The Floor, They Said Now You Gotta Headache...

The illiterate of the twenty-first century will not be those who can not read or write, but those who can not learn, un-learn and re-learn.

MnGalant
    You do free up horse power only about 3-5 . It works the same way as pulleys they are lighter. When you dont have to use power to run the ac pulley you free up horse power. You dont add horse power u just free up more.

Quote Originally Posted by MnGalant
    You do free up horse power only about 3-5 . It works the same way as pulleys they are lighter. When you dont have to use power to run the ac pulley you free up horse power. You dont add horse power u just free up more.
    its does not take 3 to 5 HP to turn a pulley under no load other than its own inertia.