The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: The kicker

Showing results 1 to 7 of 7

The kicker

Here is the deal, I am going to build my 7g for road racing. I know that a well balanced "road race" motor should have good low end speed response for cornering as well as top end power for straightaways. Here is the kicker. I plan on going with a 6 bolt 4G63T over the 7 dew to the fact of this "crank walk" I hear so much about. Im planing on getting a stroker kit but I have only found them for the 7. I did however find a stroker kit for the 64. So now I have the option of going with a 7, or just do the 64/63 hybrid. How much of a gain am I going to see with a stroker kit anyway? I hear for road racing you should rely more on engine displacement and compression rather then your turbo. This is why I want a stroker kit. I am planning on going with a Busher Racing big 20g turbo since it has a really fast spool time so when Im exiting a corner the turbo doesnt have as much lag. My question is what should I go with a 7 bolt 63 or the 64/63? Or do I just stick with the 6 and rely on a turbo more? Also I plan adding alot more to the motor, I just want to know what your thoughts were. If I get some good feed back I will tell you the list of goodies I plan on adding to the set up. I just cant make up my mind on the motor.

Thanks,
    Scout

i dont see why ur gonna "road race" if ur gonna spend all kinds of time and money just to race people on the street and risk getting ur car totaled, taken away, loosing ur licence, or worse even killed. i can see if it were track use then id say go to town with it. but i dont see spending thousands on a motor just to drag people around town. now that i got that out of my system lol.....ide say go with the 63/64 hybrid. they make alot of stroker kits for that combonation motor and ull see a big difference plus youll be able to boost high numbers. just make sure u got the suspension to handle that power also. i made that mistake.... 1 week after i finished turboing my g i blew a control arm and i can feel my tranny start to go now lol. but do some research around TGC this topic has been talked about before.
    "driving a honda is like being in the special olympics, even if u win ur still retarted"

I believe he means road race like on a circuit track, not street race but I could be wrong. Anyway I've been thinking about a lot of the questions you are asking and it can get kind of confusing because there is so much information out there. You can never go wrong with a built 2.0. You can always go with a stroker kit, but if you were going to do that it would make more sense to build up a dohc 2.4 motor since you already have the crank and block on hand. Then you start thinking about destrokers, which allow you to run pretty crazy boost and rev like none other. The biggest thing is what are you going to use your car for, street car that will race on weekends, strictly track car? That is what you need to decide before you can seriously decide what type of engine you want to build up. Or at least that's what made the decision easier for me.

222whp/250wtq

You are here entirely tooo much!! Stewi's Avatar
    If your talking like circuit type racing there are a few things you definetly want, piston oil squirters, as much displacement as you can afford, and a responsive turbo. They make 2.3 strokers for 6 bolts. Check out slowboy racing and buschur racing for this, I prefer buschur. You can also do a 6 bolt 2.4 by using the older 4GCS blocks, check around DSMtuners to find a good block and then get a DSM DOHC head. I think a ball bearing 50trim turbo would be nice with either a 2.3 or 2.4
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

Yes I want to build a track car for "time attack events." I have been going thru all my mags looking at the Evo "time attack" and circuit cars and how they are built. I think I have it figured out... just not the compression and piston size. I was planning on going with HKS 272 cams, HKS or AEM cam gears, lol... I cant lie... I was looking at the Busher racing stage 2 or 3 head (I have the money for it :D ), JUN lifters rockers springs retainers and bronze valve guides, BC stroker kit, pulley kit (not sure on brand), and a Busher racing 20g. Now you say you can run a 60 trim huh? I thought the 20g would be my best bet since there will be alot of cornering. I heard and read that the 20g is one of the fastest spooling turbos with high boost, but people can just be saying that to sale there turbos. Now for the waste gate I was thinking about a GT style... may be Blitz or HKS oh and a HKS SSQ BOV. Now all of this sounds really nice but if you dont have the brains (ECU)to run and tune it, all of it is not worth it. I was going to go with a 2g ECU with DSM link but from there im not sure. That is what Im currently researching. Any suggestions on that? May be FCON or E manage... I dont know. This is going to sound crazy... if all of this hasnt already, but I was looking into a V mount set up for the radiator and intercooler. Now this was just a thought.... lol... so I know some one on here is going to say something like thats stupid or what are you thinking. I dont know what Im thinking about but I do see alot of circuit cars with this set up. Besides I dont think it will work... I mean I looked at the engine bay and there isnt room. Ok with all that said im ready to hear what you all have to say. Oh I dont have a thin skin so dont worry... lol. Oh and yes with this much money I should go out and buy a nice car or make a down payment on a house. I own a Galant and well... I love it and want to make the best out of my first car... oh and to romp on some Evos and WRXs on the circuit... :twisted: . Oh and one more thing... the money... well lets just say there are some good reasons to re enlist in Iraq... lump sum and tax free!!

IMHO if you are willing to drop that kind of money into the powerplant, you need to figure out how to put the power to the ground. AWD SWAP!!!!! If you want a seriously competitive car in a time attack event, either that or a RWD swap would be key. Not to mention a full coilover setup that was corner balanced and whatnot but i'm sure you already thought of that aspect.

222whp/250wtq

You are here entirely tooo much!! Stewi's Avatar
    It sounds like you have alot of homework to do.

First off the Emanage and FCON are on two different ends of the spectrum. FCON is a full standalone that only an HKS authorized dealer can install and tune, emanage is a decent piggyback, but a piggyback none the less.

Your looking at stage two and three heads and what not, JUN parts, etc. It seems like you feel by spending your money on high dollar parts you will yield the best gain, you are going off in the wrong direction.

If your building a time attack car, you dont need some crazy head that flows enough CFM to make 800whp, because your not going to be anywhere near that. You should look to invest your money where it will yield the highest gain both in power and ability to get you to your goals. If you plan to race time attach competetively like in a certain class, you need to thoroughly research the rules for that class and make some sort of a guideline to follow so your not using parts/setups that are not legal for your specifc body style or race class. You can get a basic 6 bolt stroker setup with eagle rods and wiseco pistons, 2g head with a mild port and polish 20g (run a manifold with an external gate) and DSM link or AEM EMS and make a solid, reliable 400whp. Dont go and dump $10k into a race motor for a time attack car. A 400whp FWD time attack car will be pretty bad ass. Your going to want to save some of that money to invest in the things that get their ass kicked in time attacks like a big brake kit, suspension, wheels/tires, roll cage, racing seats and harness, etc. Just the suspension, brakes, wheels/tires and safety stuff is gonna cost you $5k.
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS