The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 2g Turbo ecu with 7g distributor

Showing results 1 to 8 of 8

2g Turbo ecu with 7g distributor

I have tried searching, but no luck.

I was wondering if it were possible to use the 2g turbo ecu in conjuntion with the 7g stock distributor. I don't plan on doing a head swap for a while, but want to be able to use the turbo ecu for fuel control.

You are here entirely tooo much!!
    welcome, rookie.

Get rdy to read up.

Not how fast your car goes but how good u drive going fast.
    Drive It Like You Stole It!
    7G Erubini Body Kit for sale
    http://thegalantcenter.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=57678

From my understanding it is not possible to simply run the 2G turbo ECU without the head. Otherwise Turbo 4G64's would be running them over GM MAFT, Emanage..etc.

I also had this topic (https://www.thegalantcenter.org/view...ht=distributor)
    bookmarked from a while ago. Even with the head you wouldn't be able to keep the 7G's distributor.
    RIP
    1995 7G 4G64 / 63T DOHC Turbo
    Part Out Coming Soon

In search of 2G 3000GT VR4

Daily driving
    Dat '08 Cobalt Coupe

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    2g's run a coil pack, 7g's run a distributor. Coilpack gets its signal from the crank angle sensor/cam angle sensor. The distributor is the cam angle sensor of sorts. The signals are different, I dont think its possible to run a coilpack without a cam angle sensor and I doubt a 1g/2g cam angle sensor will bolt to the SOHC head.

Would be sweet if we could use the 2g ECU on a SOHC but I dont think its physically possibe.
    7g for life!

ok thanks.....looks like i'll be saving up for a new head.

Experienced TGC Member Blue Ice's Avatar
    Hmmm.... Actually, after looking at the wiring diagrams in depth for about the past month and a half, there very well may be a way to run a 2g ecu with a sohc.

It's all in the wiring.

1st. the distributor vs coil pack. the distributor does two things, tells the ecu what the cam angle is, and fires the sparks accordingly.

so half the problem would be instead of the wires for this going to a coil pack, they would go to the distributor, which would be a simple pin relocation on the ecu harness.

2nd (the harder part)
    is i think the 2g cam angle sensor signals the ecu twice, where as the distributor signals once. that would be the hardest part to figure out, how to get it to fire twice. other wise, i think i heard the ecu goes wacko and wont start the car again.

just looked at the diagrams, and it seems possible, but i didn't sit and figure out exactly what needed to change.

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    Will a 2g crank angle sensor fit on the '64 block? Whats the signal difference between the coil pack and distributor? Is the 2g ECU expecting/giving out a different signal voltage for the coil packs vs the distributor?
    7g for life!

Experienced TGC Member Blue Ice's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by seth98esT
    Will a 2g crank angle sensor fit on the '64 block? Whats the signal difference between the coil pack and distributor? Is the 2g ECU expecting/giving out a different signal voltage for the coil packs vs the distributor?
    on paper, the "crank" position sensor appears to be the same, and the pinouts go to the same pins on both(2g,7g) ecu's.

2nd?
    The distributor assembly, consist of the cam angle pos sensor, power tran, ignistion coil and the distributor. all that is located inside the huge "distributor" that's why it's so big compared to only the cam angle sensor for the dohc.

As far as signal voltage

it seems the signal for the coil pack comes from the power transistor, not the ecu. the only signals coming from the ecu are for the power transistor, and the cam angle sensor, everything else runs to other parts of the ignition and firing system, and power and ground.

there is a pin location change for the white wire( which appears to be an rpm speed sensor for a multiple of units) on a 7g ecu it's pin 31, for 2g it's pin 58.

note; this was one of the pin locations i changed for my hybrid wire harness