The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: GTZ Color Keyed Trunk Thingy Name Help

Showing results 1 to 17 of 17
    MitGalant

GTZ Color Keyed Trunk Thingy Name Help

I am searching on the oem-car-parts site and don't know what exactly or how do you buy the the gtz color keyed thing on the trunk. Normally it's chrome on the other trim levels but I want a silver colored keyed one. It's the bar thing that holds the "galant" lettering and has the trunk keyhole. I want to get it silver like my car so the chrome galant will stand out better. What's the name of this? Thanks

Senior TGC Member
    It's called the finish molding, it's rather expensive, and unfortunately it does not come color keyed, much like the grille. Hope this helped. I've been trying to get color-keyed grille and trunk for a while now myself. At the parts site click on Trunk Lid, then Exterior Trim...you should see it there.
    "Daisy tumbled short of his dreams, not through her own fault, but because of the colossal vitality of his illusion... No amount of fire or freshness can challenge what a man will store up in his ghostly heart. " - F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

"I have not failed 700 times. I have not failed once. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work." - Thomas Edison

Tiller
    just rip the "GALANT" off of the trim...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tiller)</div><div class='quotemain'>just rip the "GALANT" off of the trim...</div>
    If he shaves the GALANT letters off the trim, it still won't be color keyed, it will be chrome. He wants one that matches the color of his car like on the GTZ.

I'm surprised they're not available since they were standard on the GTZ, and the GTZ was available in silver. Mine's black like the rest of my car including the grill. Check Don Herring Mitsubishi for parts. We get a discount there.CLICK HERE

Chip
    Chip

2000 Basalt Black Metallic GTZ
    (Paint Code: Porsche LC9Z)

Genuine experience carries a lot more credibility than the ability to answer a question.

magauto.com sells both the grill and trunk garnish in body color.

-Mohammad

another option is to just paint your existing trim piece to be color matched...

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

MitGalant
    hey thanks for the advice.. put out several inquiries to the sites you guys mentioned

MitGalant
    oh yeah how do you take it off anyways?? i might just paint it like pinoy said..

Just two screws, and maybe a clip or two.

-Mohammad

GalantPride09
    Yeah i took it off a little bit ago to change the white liscense plate light with a red one. You unscrew the two screws, and pull it out gently. If you pull too hard you might break the clips.

Senior TGC Member
    Well I found the color keyed grille for the GTZ, but still no color-keyed trunk lid finish molding. If anyone comes across a silver one and would like to sell it to me lemme know. I'm not going to bother posting in Want to Buy forum, it's not quite THAT important.
    "Daisy tumbled short of his dreams, not through her own fault, but because of the colossal vitality of his illusion... No amount of fire or freshness can challenge what a man will store up in his ghostly heart. " - F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

"I have not failed 700 times. I have not failed once. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work." - Thomas Edison

If you have a 2000 or up, the following will work for the body colored trunk trim. For some reason they don't have 99 in silver.

OK, go to magauto.com, and click on mitsubishi, then click on buy OE parts online today, then put put in your year (the silver color changed from 1999 to 2000), and of course mitsu. Make sure you select collision. On the next screen select Galant and it will go to the "drop down" menu. Click trunk lid, then extreior trim. The finish molding. Now it will show gray and chrome, but below, there is still a drop down item for body color. Click body color and there are all the colors. Hope that helps.

-Mohammad

Senior TGC Member
    Much thanks my good friend.

I bought one from Don Herring Mitsubishi. It's called a rear garnish. It's a little less than $45 and comes unpainted. I painted mine using a regular gray primer and the Red color of my paint was still too dark. I would suggest that you would use a flat white paint and then paint over this when it dries. That is, if your Galant's color is anything besides black, otherwise, the paint will be a little darker than your stock color if you applied it over gray primer.

I got the paint from http://www.paintscratch.com

Senior TGC Member
    Yep I bought the 66 dollar color-keyed silver plate, didn't bother with the grille...100 bucks? You gotta be kidding me.

Great news, glad to hear it worked out, I love factory color matched parts, unfortuntely, my color, Barcelona Red, was never a GTZ, so I am screwed. Ah well.

-Mohammad

J. T. Z.
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BGR)</div><div class='quotemain'>I bought one from Don Herring Mitsubishi. Â*It's called a rear garnish. Â*It's a little less than $45 and comes unpainted. Â*I painted mine using a regular gray primer and the Red color of my paint was still too dark. Â*I would suggest that you would use a flat white paint and then paint over this when it dries. Â*That is, if your Galant's color is anything besides black, otherwise, the paint will be a little darker than your stock color if you applied it over gray primer.

I got the paint fromhttp://www.paintscratch.com</div>
    BGR thanks for the post. I have been looking for a place that sell the paint in the can. I have been wanting to paint my grill after I cut the slats out.