The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Dent in rear - how to fix?

Showing results 1 to 10 of 10

Dent in rear - how to fix?

I bought a 94 Galant SE last week and it has a broken tail light and dent in the rear. What do you guys think I should do to fix this?

Here is a picture.

Experienced TGC Member Divinity's Avatar
    Looks to me you might have to get a whole new panel. Try taking it by a body shop or a collision center that does free estimates to get an idea of what they would do, like if they would replace it or just tap it out. But by the looks of it, it looks a little deep, I don't even know if something like a bondo product could fix it after you popped out the dents.
    ~Lady Driven~

Definately need to take it to a body shop. The dent looks pretty mangled. Even if you could just pull it out and hammer it back straight, you would have to get it repainted to keep it from rusting any more. But I'd say it's a good chance you need a new quarterpanel...Who knows if the taillight would ever sit flush in that again...

thats not TOO bad, i fixed worse

You are here entirely tooo much!!
    A body shop is just gonna tell you to replace the whole quarter, although the Peeps up here will tell you to bang it out or use a pulley and pull it out, bondo, prime and good to go.

Not how fast your car goes but how good u drive going fast.
    Drive It Like You Stole It!
    7G Erubini Body Kit for sale
    http://thegalantcenter.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=57678

Experienced TGC Member Divinity's Avatar
    ^^^ the taillight probably won't sit the same though, that's the only downside to that
    ~Lady Driven~

DAMN :shock:

that will buff out. :(

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

Pretty much you are going to need to get a professional to take care of that. There could even be a little frame damage. Most people hear that and are afraid....no need it aint much if any. But in order to have it pilled out and the lights to work properly, have it look smooth again...you are gonna need a body shop's help

"Why fart and waste it when you can burp and taste it!"

Well this weekend I went to the junk yard. The first one had tons of galants but not the same generation as I need. Then I went to a different junk yard which was even bigger and found hardly any Mitsubishi's at all. I was almost ready to give up and on the last row of imports I found a 94 galant. And it had the tail light I needed. None of the other parts were on it but that exact tail light. Even the passenger side one was gone. So for $16 I got it.
    Then took the car to a friends shop and just messed around to get it so the light would fit at least. Nothing perfect. Just because I didn't want to get a ticket. Later I will fix the rest.
    Here is a pic

You are here entirely tooo much!!
    looking better already.

Not how fast your car goes but how good u drive going fast.
    Drive It Like You Stole It!
    7G Erubini Body Kit for sale
    http://thegalantcenter.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=57678