The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: What would be better?

Showing results 1 to 12 of 12
    2002ShadowDeamon

What would be better?

Ok, I have a 2002 with the 2.4l and was woundering what would be better, a 4g63t or getting a 6g74 and eventaully turboing it? And would it even be worth my time trying to put a 6g74 into it since it is only a 4cyl and then I will have to replace the mounts, wiring, ect...

Any help would be great. Thanks!

You are here entirely tooo much!! fatal1's Avatar
    well both would be good, the 74 would require a lot of modification to fit and probroblly be pretty expensive in the end...not to mention that you would have to change other things as well to better suit it... the 63t is pretty much direct and if you plan on boost the 63 is obviously built for it and there are a lot of parts for it to build it before you drop it in so i would go with that

in the future though the 63 is pretty thoroughly discussed on the site so just search around...

xplain these modifications you speak of. because i thought all the mounts were in the same spot
    RIP GALANT, GOOD MORNING BMW 330i

330i ZSP (E90) - S4 (B5) / hellaflush

Not sure if I remember everything I read, but I think the 6G74 swap was pretty much a direct swap for the V6 8G and the 4G63T would swap easily with the I4. Mixing the two was where the modification would be needed.
    RIP
    1995 7G 4G64 / 63T DOHC Turbo
    Part Out Coming Soon

In search of 2G 3000GT VR4

Daily driving
    Dat '08 Cobalt Coupe

4g63t... if you want the 74 it would be cheaper and less work to sell your car and buy a v6, then swap it in.

Quote Originally Posted by lonestar22
    xplain these modifications you speak of. because i thought all the mounts were in the same spot

ehem.....
    well both would be good, the 74 would require a lot of modification to fit and probroblly be pretty expensive in the end...not to mention that you would have to change other things as well to better suit it...
    Ok, I have a 2002 with the 2.4l

Yeah with the v6's the 74's is really plug and play

2002ShadowDeamon
    Ok, for those that didnt catch it the first time, I have a 2002 2.4l. And from what I get from those that did catch it, the 4g63 is the way to go. I know that the 63 has been talked about several times, I was just wondering what was the best investment. But thanks to everyone's input, I think I will go with the 63.

Oh, and I have another question. I was talking about getting a 6a13tt at one point and some one mentioned that it wasnt very practical due to the fact that if something went wrong with it that you would have to wait for the part to be shipped from Japan. So how is the EVO 4g63t any differ? It didnt come to the States till what, 2005? So how would I order parts from an earlier model? And all the ones I see for sale are JDM anyway. So are the parts for the earlier models readily availible in the States?

talk to stewi about the jdm evo motors, basically they will bolt in but the us parts are different if and when you need to replace stuff it will be a long wait time and expensive...basically your better off spending the few extra $$$ now to make it easier and cheaper in teh longrun

2002ShadowDeamon
    So I will still have to order parts from Japan? Man that sucks! It might just be better to get a 6a13tt then. I can find it cheaper that a 63t.

there is a real lot of work to be done with that and noone has ever completed it...mante started it but never finished, it will be more expensive to install it then anything else and you willhave to fab a lot of parts....the cheapest route for you in the end is the usdm 4g63t as far as a motor swap, it also potentially has a lot of gains....if you dont have the cash just turbo the 4g64....if you want an engine swap any route you go will be expensive, especially with the i4, if i were you i would look into some cheaper solutions like just a head swap from a kia optima or the evo and using a stock 16g setup off that

obviously you dont know too much about swaping in the engines etc i would advise you to search and read a lot more both here and on the other forums that include your options or else you will be way over your head and just mess your car up...it obviously isnt as easy as bolting something on and your good to go theres a lot more details and things you need to know

2002ShadowDeamon
    Okay, well thanks for the advice. But does anyone know of a company that sells USDM 4g63t? All of the 63 that I find are USDM. I have been to carparts.com and ebay and some others and all I can find is JDM. Well, guess I will keep looking. Oh, and to make sure that I am looking for the right one, its 2005+ Evo 8-9, right?