The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: car wont start ....all does is fart

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 38
    RydnClean

car wont start ....all does is fart

first off it takes my car forever to start all of the sudden, it turns over good but just wont start, then when it does it studders to get an even idle then cuts off after about 5 seconds??? i dont have much gas, i have no clue when the plugs were replaced but i just put oil and trans fluid in and thats all i know, any tips or suggestions would be appreciated! thanks alot

Sounds like it's time for a tuneup. There's a checklist of general maintenance things to do under the tutorial section. Was your car in storage or undriven for some time?

[size=10]<span style='color:white'>. . . .</span>

RydnClean
    it isnt regularly drivin for about 2 months now but i start it every day for about 10 minutes.....i jus drove it to get sum stuff done last week, im also pretty low on gas too, i have been told it could be plugs, fuel injectors or my fuel pump......sum1 help me out

yep, it could be any of those things along with a bunch of other possibilities. only way to find out is to do/check each thing and start narrowing the problem down. I have a beater around too that I start a couple times a week. My guess would be a weak battery b/c my experience is 10 min. a couple times a week may not be enough to charge up the battery. Sometimes the battery eventually dies and I have to break out the big trickle charger for a full charge.

Start with the battery and make sure everything is tight and that the engine ground is also tight. good luck.

[size=10]<span style='color:white'>. . . .</span>

what year and model?

RydnClean
    94 ES......what are all of the possibilities?.....i put more gas in it and that didnt help, i also charged the battery and it started better but then cuts off quick....? i have a system in my car but i dunno if that makes a difference or not, i tryed a jump start also, what else could it be...please reply ASAP im tryna get this fixed before i start driving again thanks

probably a dead distributor. pretty common in the 94s and 95s.
    but id have it checked out before you buy, as theyre NOT cheap.

RydnClean
    about how much are they?

a factory distributor assembly is around 500 bucks.

bongi
    seldom do distributors break, try the simple ones, like fule filter. if you keep your car parked outside without a garage and on an empty tank, rust and moisture accumulates and can spell an early life for your fuel filter. if you take the plugs out and the they are wet with gas, then your plugs are not firing at all.

You are here entirely tooo much!! peanotation's Avatar
    it's probably ur spark plugs or the battery power, however, it could have something to do with your mass airflow sensor. i have a 94ES, and when i forgot to plug my MAS back in, same problem: it'd turn over good, start up, and die seconds later after it tried to keep the engine alive. check ur intake. if it's all good, try to get it to a SMALL and PRIVATE shop, most mechanics will just check it out for free. i work at one, and people come in with problems like that all the time.
    http://socallifestyle.com/

1994 Galant GS 5spd

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bongi)</div><div class='quotemain'>seldom do distributors break, try the simple ones, like fule filter. Â*if you keep your car parked outside without a garage and on an empty tank, rust and moisture accumulates and can spell an early life for your fuel filter. Â*if you take the plugs out and the they are wet with gas, then your plugs are not firing at all.</div>

umm... no.
    i have YET to replace a fuel filter on any mitsu in 10 years time for any drivability problem. and this covers over 7000 vehicals.

i HAVE replaced several dozen distributor assemblies due to damaged coils (which are not available seperatly) on 94 and 95 models.

RydnClean
    how hard is it to put a new fuel filter in? and where is it located at?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(RydnClean)</div><div class='quotemain'>how hard is it to put a new fuel filter in? and where is it located at?</div>
    its not the fuel filter.

and its located on the firewall.

RydnClean
    well i got new spark plugs and it didnt help, it started up at first but then cuts off and it still feels like its miss firing?? do i need new spark plug wires too? and y dont u think it could be the fuel filter?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(RydnClean)</div><div class='quotemain'>well i got new spark plugs and it didnt help, it started up at first but then cuts off and it still feels like its miss firing?? do i need new spark plug wires too? and y dont u think it could be the fuel filter?</div>
    as ive said several times now, i have worked on mitsus for over 10 years. thats at LEAST 7000 cars and/or trucks. and i have NEVER needed to replace a fuel filter for anything other than maintenence, and even that was rare. Even mitsu knows that replacing a fuel filter is unneeded, hence the reason for eliminating it from thier current maintenence schedual.

im saying that its PROBABLY a failing distributor, but due to the cost of one, id recommend having it checked out professionally.

RydnClean
    ok i got new plugs, new wires, more gas, new battery, and still NOTHING?? im really gettin pissed and i even put my car up for sale, how do i know if its the distributor? and i know it prolly isnt my fuel filter but where exactly on the firewall is it? and how hard is it to put a new one in? please reply ASAP thankz

Experienced TGC Member
    You need to take it into a garage man. Your distributer coil may be cracked and it is not something your going to want to try to fix in your driveway.
    Take it to someone you trust or take it to the dealer.
    If manybrews is right, and I think he is, none of this preventive maintenence your trying is going to work. I doubt it is the fuel filter, although it *could* be the pump. Either way, you need a mechanic.
    [b]<span style='color:blue'>Wes</span>
    The true path to enlightenment is Here
    <-Check it out Maz
    My 7g

[b]<span style='color:darkred'>ClubTGC Shidoshi-Kai Fellowship</span>

water temperature sensor...

when They go bad, The Car thinks it's overheated, and goes into "fetal position"

check it, see if it's okay
    Craig R.
    [email protected], Gclipse96 on AIM

1996Galant 14.0@103
    biggest b00bies EvAr

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(g96nt)</div><div class='quotemain'>water temperature sensor...

when They go bad, The Car thinks it's overheated, and goes into "fetal position"

check it, see if it's okay</div>
    when they fail, they generally fail to a default position that will allow the car to run (albiet a bit rough).

trust me.. i just replaced TWO distributors today alone.. they have a high failure rate. I still must stress that you have it professionally checked, though, as replacing a 500 dollar distributor due to a random strangers recomendation is probably not a good idea.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast