The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 2.6L Stroker kit.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 39
    You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar

2.6L Stroker kit.

A member PMed me the info(bignasty), I never have saw it on Brian Crowers site so it must be somewhat new? Anywho, strocker kit for the 4g64 7bolt block. 106mm billet crank, custom rods, custom pistons, which brings you to 2.6L. Not cheap, but what do you expect with a billet crank haha.

http://www.briancrower.com/view.php?pn=BC0110

Discuss.
    7g for life!

Experienced TGC Member n3oAcid24's Avatar
    WOW!!!!!!!!!!!! thats a pretty penny right there seth. so what are the pros/cons to this kit against let say going Turbo???
    n3oAcid24 = 01' Galant I4

You are here entirely tooo much!!
    Whoa, nice.

Not how fast your car goes but how good u drive going fast.
    Drive It Like You Stole It!
    7G Erubini Body Kit for sale
    http://thegalantcenter.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=57678

Quote Originally Posted by n3oAcid24
    WOW!!!!!!!!!!!! thats a pretty penny right there seth. so what are the pros/cons to this kit against let say going Turbo???
    You would want to use that kit along with a turbo. Would be able to spool a larger turbo faster with the 2.6L vs 2.4L.

You could run that kit N/A if you had them cut you a custom set of high compression pistons(which you can choose whatever compression you want, its included in the kit price). I am not sure how that would workout N/A though.

The '64 isnt a fast or high reving motor due to its rod length/stroke and isnt the best N/A motor. Im not sure if the kit includes a set of long ros or not, doesnt mention it.
    7g for life!

Well shit ... there goes my savings account. :twisted:

222whp/250wtq

Experienced TGC Member milo111000's Avatar
    dang 2.6! imagine the boost capability on that!

need a 63 head though=more money. unless u already did the swap lol
    "driving a honda is like being in the special olympics, even if u win ur still retarted"

I was going to go with that stroker kit, the only thing I need to know is what compression to go with. How much lager of a turbo do you think you can go with?

I'll be doing some serious research about this kit and once I find out some more info on it i'll post it here.

222whp/250wtq

You are here entirely tooo much!! Stewi's Avatar
    It all looks good on paper, but I have to be a bit skeptical at this point. That thing isnt going to rev worth a SH*T. I bet the redline is just under 7k and thats pushing it.
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

Quote Originally Posted by Stewi
    It all looks good on paper, but I have to be a bit skeptical at this point. That thing isnt going to rev worth a SH*T. I bet the redline is just under 7k and thats pushing it.
    I was thinking the same thing. the 2.4L DOHC set-up doesnt even rev all that high. If I remember correctly the rev limit on a 4G64/63T hybrid would be somewhere under 7900rpm's. a 2.6L will prolly kill another 1000rpm of powerband.

I dunno, definitely more R&D should be spent before anyone should go with this stroker.
    Jigz-TGCIL Sosick Motorsports

R.I.P. Christopher "CRAZY CHRIS" Beckmann
    "you dont appreciate friendship until you lose your bestfriend...."
    I'd rather have the knowledge and ability to do it than the money to buy it already done.

Experienced TGC Member 6G72gearhead's Avatar
    Getting an excessive acceleration ticket.

GT-42R, and that thing would be smokin'.

It really depends on the mains and the crank as far as rpm goes. I think 7500-8k is possible with a billit crank especially, given the main caps are up to it. I dont know if the 64 is 2 or 4 bolt mains but that will make a difference.

Remember what the domestic guys are doing with 30 year old V8's, with pushrods.

Of course boost is the remedy of low rpm air volume.
    RIP: Colin McRae, you will be missed.
    "I shall go before thee and make the crooked places straight."

2001 ES V6 M/T under construction
    1991 Volvo 244ti 300 whp daily driver
    www.gooichimotorsports.com

How streetable would this setup be? Sounds like after all the money and time, you would have a dedicated track car but Im not expert. :?

to get 2.6 out of our 2.4/

they turn a 100mm stroke into a 106...

which means you have to have much shorter pistons.

also that is definatly going to increase road angle, and i'm sure the block would have to modified to accomidate.
    since the road angle will increase..... piston velocity is going to increase.

its not that the engine woudln't be able to handle high revs.... cause it woudl.
    but there are a few dissadvantages to this setup.
    one: since the piston velocity is so fast.... it means a lot more friction, so shorter engine life, also since the piston has to travel further per rev, that means more wear per rev, again, shorter engine life.
    two: since the piston fvelocity will be so fast, there literally is less time for the cylinders to fill up with air. this means the higher the rev, the less volumetric efficient this engine will be.
    so you can rev to 8k if you want..... but this engine won't make any power after 6.

but in that range.... i'm sure the torque woudl be unreal.

frankly.... our trannies are not geared to take advantage of this setup. the ratio's are for engine that makes power in the upper rpms.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

That and the incredible amount of stress on the rods due to the crazy rod angle. I was told my Buschur, AMS, RRE and TurboTrix, even with a built 4G64 w/EVO head not to go past 7500 or im gonna have a ticking time bomb. If I was building a full out drag car, I would just do the 2.1 for the extra displacement compared to a 4G63, incredibly good rod angle and piston velocity and crazy redline of 10,000. It doesnt matter that your GT45R is spooling at 5800 when you still got another 4200 RPMs of powerband left/
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

Ok I sent an email to Brian Crower asking about this kit and here is their response:

The 2.6L stroker kit is definitely a good choice. You will pick up approx
    60hp and an equivalent amount of torque just by increasing the displacement.
    Anything you do beyond this will only enhance the performance. The stage 3
    cams are an excellent choice to pair up with the stroker kit. The kit uses a
    6.151" long rod to help with the rod / stroke ratio for extended RPM's and
    longevity. Cost on the kit is $3300. If you place an order this week I can
    sell it to you for $3052. the kit includes 4340 billet crankshaft, 4340
    billet connecting rods, custom CP pistons ( any bore / any compression),
    ring pack, locks and wrist pins. The kit comes fully balanced and ready to
    install. Let me know what you think.

222whp/250wtq

Ask him about the rod angle and rev limit on their 2.6 kit, stage 3 cams, and the rest. Would be interesting to here what they think is safe.
    7g for life!

Damn thats a long rod, I bet that piston is short as hell, I wonder how low the top ring is and the spacing for the rest, my top ring is like 12mm below the top of the ring land, theirs would have to be half that or less.
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

Now just for the hell of it, what would be a good turbo to run with this kit? I mean you would want one that spooled early in order for it to be useful but you would also want it to not run out of breath in the top end even if it was only revving to 7000 or so.

222whp/250wtq

50trim ball bearing, GT30R. Im not gonna say the 35R because that turbo tends to really shine in the uppre RPMS past 6500.
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast