The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: oil light

Showing results 1 to 13 of 13
    know that noise you heard outside.........

oil light

ok... so today, i get in my car, and head over to dunkin dounuts for my morning breakfast... i come up to a stop light... start to hit my brakes, and my oil light comes on.... so i let of the brakes, lights off..... brakes on, lights on... so im like WTF ?!?!?!?..... i just got my oil changed like a month or 2 ago... full synthetic....

so i think it was just cuz it was cold out... raining... and it just went from really warm, to cold... so it think it was just cuz the engine hadnt really warmed up.....

does this make sense???/ or should i be worried about this ???

thank you much
    MIke

1998 Mitsubishi Galant ES
    "freedom of speach includes volume"

did you bother to check your oil?

do you ever?

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

maybe you mean your brake oil light? your brake resevoir might also be low

Yeah i'll second what John said. You need to be careful because most galants i've run into have a tendency to burn oil so whatever was in there 1-2 months ago is more than likely not what's in there now.

222whp/250wtq

Im betting you mitakend it for the Break light. especially in the morning when you are tired lol. but you could be low on oil, but the thing ware it comes on when you hit the breaks throws me for a loop... if it was flashing i would say oil pressure sensor but, hmm lol.

From my knowledge most 7G's do it. At our age the 7G burns oil quite a bit. I need to add oil at about 2500 / 3000 mile mark for an oil change.

I never understood why it came on and went off with braking, but just check your oil levels. YOU NEED OIL.
    RIP
    1995 7G 4G64 / 63T DOHC Turbo
    Part Out Coming Soon

In search of 2G 3000GT VR4

Daily driving
    Dat '08 Cobalt Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by bmore303
    From my knowledge most 7G's do it. At our age the 7G burns oil quite a bit. I need to add oil at about 2500 / 3000 mile mark for an oil change.

I never understood why it came on and went off with braking, but just check your oil levels. YOU NEED OIL.
    mine has never thrown the oil light. never!

but every now and then i need to add a little oil. but i was loosing some from the pcv gasket. fixed it and now we will see if i have the problem.

a year ago distributor o ring was bad and would leeak oil on the tranny. check your levels and see if you missing any

"DSM's, making people mechanics since 1985"
    Quote Originally Posted by polishmafia
    You want real respect from those fools? Don't race him. Tell him racing is a sport left to young boys who are still waiting for their balls to drop. Then while he's out racing, fuck his girlfriend in the ass, take pics, and leave them on his car while hes at school.

if your oil is low enough,
    then when you do anythign that puts g-force against it, its going to sloch around, just like your gas tank does, just like my ex girlfriends hidden bottle of bourbon.

if your oil is low enough and you hit a hard corner.... tap the brakes, of hit the gas, its going to cause it to lean away from mthe sump......

thus causeing your pump to pump air... or less oil...

Voila! pressure light goes on.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

Same thing happens to me too except the brake thing. cause today when I started the car the oil light came one right away but it turned off couple seconds later. I checked the coolant and there was a little left so I put in enough to make it pretty full but not quite. gonna check the oil tomorrow since it tends to burn oil quicker. I just change my oil though at like 73000 going to 74000 mile so I don't really know why it came on but yeah.

i didnt check the oil cuz its been down pouring all day...

i thought it was low, due to the whole g-force thing... but it hadnt happened the rest of the day... ive never seen any oil spots under the car... even after it was parked for a while... 3 or 4 days...

i KNOW it was the oil light... little oil can... i looked at the temp needle, and that was realy low... thats y i figured with the jump from warm and dry, to cold and VERY wet, i might thicken the oil and cause it to move slower through everything tripping the light.....

im gonna check the fluid levels tomorow, its supposed to stop raining... or at least slow down...

Quote Originally Posted by mikeprekopa
    i didnt check the oil cuz its been down pouring all day...

i thought it was low, due to the whole g-force thing... but it hadnt happened the rest of the day... ive never seen any oil spots under the car... even after it was parked for a while... 3 or 4 days...

i KNOW it was the oil light... little oil can... i looked at the temp needle, and that was realy low... thats y i figured with the jump from warm and dry, to cold and VERY wet, i might thicken the oil and cause it to move slower through everything tripping the light.....

im gonna check the fluid levels tomorow, its supposed to stop raining... or at least slow down...
    next time just pull into a gas station under the canopy and check your oil.

you really need to check your oil every timme you fill up.
    it only takes a second. but means life and death for your motor.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

You are here entirely tooo much!!
    Check your oil, then if not that check your oil pressure switch. Most likely you will see the oil pressure switch wire snapped and when it touches a ground the light will come on.

Not how fast your car goes but how good u drive going fast.
    Drive It Like You Stole It!
    7G Erubini Body Kit for sale
    http://thegalantcenter.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=57678

well i checked my oil..... it is a little low... but i dont think low enuf to turn on the light..... im gonna run out now to get a price on some tires, and pick up a qt or 2 of oil....

can u mix synthetics ?

i know last time i got a full synthetic, but i dont remember the brand, so can i mix castrol with something else ?

btw: thx for the tip DOHCstunr... im gonna start checking when i fill up now...