The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: traction control fuse

Showing results 1 to 20 of 20
    wmaharrisjr

traction control fuse

does anyone remember what fuse you remove to diable the traction, I wanna see if that gives me a better start

I believe it's the one marked ABS under the hood as both system works off the same fuse if memory serves me correct.

[size=10]<span style='color:white'>. . . .</span>

wmaharrisjr
    but man racing and not having abs isn't a good thing is it

well that depends. if you have a great command of the brakes, you should be able to brake just as well if not better than ABS assisted braking. ABS is really just for emergencies when you don't know your brakes or the control of your car or for those really heavy footed ppl that tend to lock their brakes all the time. With experience, you should never let your brakes get to that point or know when to let up to let them gain traction and spin again.

Quote Originally Posted by TJC
    well that depends. if you have a great command of the brakes, you should be able to brake just as well if not better than ABS assisted braking. ABS is really just for emergencies when you don't know your brakes or the control of your car or for those really heavy footed ppl that tend to lock their brakes all the time. With experience, you should never let your brakes get to that point or know when to let up to let them gain traction and spin again.
    actually, its a fact that the ABS can outbrake anyone on the road these days, easily.

this MAY not have been true 10 or 12 years ago, but today its a fact. you cannot modulate anywhere near the necessary pressures to maintain a 10 percent slip (which is the point of maximum grip) on 4 seperate wheels.
    maybe if you had 4 seperate brake pedals you may stand a chance.. but i doubt it.

there isnt a true performance car on the road that doesnt stop faster due to it, no matter the conditions. the viper is a perfect example. For years it was outbraked by every other performance car on the road due to its total lack of ABS. the brakes just cant be modulated accurately enough. then, after they finally added ABS, the stopping distance was reduced by 10 percent with the otherwise identical braking system.

Maybe the ABS on the Viper is a little more sophisticated than the one we have. I know for a fact that the brake actually locks my wheels up and ONLY helps to release the brakes after it locks up and doesn't help to keep it from locking up no matter what the ABS is supposed to do in theory. It's even much more over-rated during wet braking. Unless you have facts on the braking distances on a Galant using ABS and without for comparison, I find that it really hard to believe that the braking distance is actually shorter. There have been many tests that have also come to this conclusion in the past.

Senior TGC Member
    ABS is supposedly able to stop shorter in all terrain except loose surfaces, such as gravel and perhaps snow and mud. ABS is supposed to lock up...it's just that the time period it locks up is much shorter than a human being trying to figure out when the wheels have locked. If you watch any video of a car being brake tested you'll see...every single one of them locks at least 3 times before the car comes to a stop. As for the topic starter's concerns I believe he isn't concerned with stopping, but rather TCL...without the fuse he can launch better if he's good, and the only reason he brought up ABS was probably as TJC had stated he would like to be able to still brake effectively.
    "Daisy tumbled short of his dreams, not through her own fault, but because of the colossal vitality of his illusion... No amount of fire or freshness can challenge what a man will store up in his ghostly heart. " - F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

"I have not failed 700 times. I have not failed once. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work." - Thomas Edison

Traction control on a 99 ES V6? I know I don't have traction control on my 2K ES V6, unless you're talking about Anti-Lock Brakes, which is totally different than traction control.

99GTZ4ME
    I don't believe that traction control was available in 1999.

I know my 99 GTZ doesn't have it.

Kind-of suprising since my 97 Z-24 did, but oh-well.

Senior TGC Member
    That stinks...you had to go Cali spec to get TCL? What a jip :?
    "Daisy tumbled short of his dreams, not through her own fault, but because of the colossal vitality of his illusion... No amount of fire or freshness can challenge what a man will store up in his ghostly heart. " - F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

"I have not failed 700 times. I have not failed once. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work." - Thomas Edison

wmaharrisjr
    I do have ABS and I am pretty sure about traction contol because I can feel it really bite hard when I push too far on take offs

I don't know about other people's Galants but when I hit the gas on take off, I can make my front tires squeal or peel out. Sometimes I don't mean to do it and people probably think I'm showing off (who cares what they think) but it happens.

Traction control was not available on the ES V6 until 2001 or 2002 in the ES V6 All-Weather Package. It was standard on the 2000+ LS and GTZ.

Senior TGC Member
    Mine peels out all the time because my tires stink and I can feel the pulsating of the brakes. Plus when I take out the fuse the ABS and TCL lights come on. You 99 models get all the fun

i forgot one thing....
    if you have traction control, youde have a traction control disabling switch.
    and a traction control light.

which you dont, since it didnt show up until 2001.

TGC Regular
    omg where is this traction control switch?!?! i wanan try it

specially when its raining down here in so cal, so fun
    Your signature is too long.

Senior TGC Member
    There's a switch for the 01's?! OOOH Where at?! All this time we have been having to pull out the ABS fuse whenever we dyno. I guess 00GTZ00 is out of luck...his is a Fed spec 2000 Inside joke...heehee

00GTZ00
    LOL yayaya

I can make a "cool"switch if I want that way no blood is involved....LOL

2000 was the best year to buy the galant. it had all the good stuff. lots of fed specs, traction control, hepa cabin filters, dual piston calipers etc etc.

but yea nonetheless, 1999 didn't have traction control. manybrews said that the '00 didn't have the traction control disabling switch but im pretty sure that with some hunting thru the service manual, you can figure out a way to put in a switch so u can disable the power going to the traction control unit.

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PinoyESV6)</div><div class='quotemain'>manybrews said that the '00 didn't have the traction control disabling switch but im pretty sure that with some hunting thru the service manual, you can figure out a way to put in a switch so u can disable the power going to the traction control unit.</div>

Good luck with that. I just scanned the manual, and the TCL is actually activated by switching power on and off to a pump, controlling the brake fluid pressure to all four wheels. It looks extremely difficult if not impossible to disable that pump without adversly affecting the performance of the ABS. That's why the two units are on one fuse. There are also wheel speed sensors involved that provide input to the ABS ECU. It might be kind of risky to start playing around in that area. Seems easier to pull the fuse when needed.

Chip
    Chip

2000 Basalt Black Metallic GTZ
    (Paint Code: Porsche LC9Z)

Genuine experience carries a lot more credibility than the ability to answer a question.

TGC Regular
    has anyone found the tcl diabling switch on the 01's ?

its nowhere near both of the fuseboxes, i just took a quick glance thru the car and engine and i didnt see anything... too lazy to really search for it... anybody?
    Your signature is too long.