The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Whats a good budget performance tire?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 32

Whats a good budget performance tire?

hey guys im getting some wheels pretty soon and i've never bought tires before in my life so they are all new to me, i was thinking somthing like, Yokohama Parada Spec-2, Yokohama AVS ES100, kuhmo exsta stp, Riken Raptor ZR, any of these good? the less money the better cause i dont have very much cash.

A lot of members compliment the Yokohama Paradas. I personally have BFGoodrich KDW2s. I've used Kumhos, and Goodyears also. My brother had the AVS ES100s, they are nice for the money, but as they wear aren't the quietest.

Also in selling of and testing each different brand I've always found the below brands are BY FAR better than any others out there.

My personal recommendations extend to the following:

BFGoodrich

Goodyear

Michelin

Dunlop

Continental

Pirelli

Toyo

Other budget options that are good bang for the buck include:

Avon

Kumho

Fierce (Kelly Springfield)

Yokohama

Though these last ones (with the exception of Kelly) are generally harder to come by. Thats another reason I would recommend the top seven brands first.

I don't have any experience with those but I have Fuzion Zri's and they have worked really well so far and were fairly cheap. If that helps.

222whp/250wtq

i ran a set of kuhmo spt's loved them they were an amazing tire, and the cost wasn't to bad either, the only thing to watch is they aren't rated for sno....., i have also run the kuhmo ecsta asx w/ is an all season tire and it was still a great tire and it can be ran in the winter too!
    jdm front end conversion in the process.........

i think i narrowed it down to these 4

Dunlop Direzza DZ101 $140
    Pirelli P-Zero Nero M+S $162
    Kumho Ecsta SPT $122
    Yokohama Parada Spec-2 $152

im probably going to get the kuhmo's unless sombody persuades me not to, i just dont have the money right now.

Do you have winter tires? or are you keeping your stock wheels?

I like my Fuzion HRi tires. They were recommended by a manager at a Firestone over the Kuhmo. They are great, they grip like mad and are secure during rain and above all inexpensive.

http://www.thefuzionzone.com/
    8G 4 life!

Mods: CAI,Grounding wires, CCorners, Shaved, 3G STB. AGX/Teins, Addco bar, OZ F1 wheels And well maintained : )

Quote Originally Posted by SLS2000
    I like my Fuzion HRi tires. They were recommended by a manager at a Firestone over the Kuhmo. They are great, they grip like mad and are secure during rain and above all inexpensive.

http://www.thefuzionzone.com/
    they aren't available in 18"

Quote Originally Posted by RedGalant2k1
    Do you have winter tires? or are you keeping your stock wheels?
    i'm keeping my stock wheels, but i might be to lazy to switch them when it starts snowing... lol

i don't know i'm a pretty good driver do you really NEED winter tires?
    last year i went without them, and my parents never switch tires/wheels.

edit: but then again stock wheels are probably a little better all season tires, than performance tires.

The only tire that is "all season" out of the ones your looking at is the Pirelli. The others I would NOT recommend in winter.

yeah if you go w/ the kuhmo's make sure you swap them over the first sign of sno no matter how good of a driver you think you are....
    jdm front end conversion in the process.........

Kumho= Not Good!

Experienced TGC Member Divinity's Avatar
    I've had nothing but good experiences with Yokohama tires. I say get those if you can. Kumho are good as well, I had those on my other car, if you have negative camber going on, you'll have to rotate them more than normal because they wore kind of quick on me.
    ~Lady Driven~

DO NOT BUY NEXENS..ok jus had to get that out of the way, but ya ive had good luck with Khumo's ECSTA tire
    My car has mood swings..

why whats wrong with nexens?

Experienced TGC Member 6G72gearhead's Avatar
    Getting an excessive acceleration ticket.

As far as all seasons go, the Pirelli P-zero Nero M+S are the ones I hate the least. Very good durable tire (very hard to puncture) and the grip very well for an all season. Thier only problem is a slight tendancy to tramline. If you dont know what that is, dont worry about it.

As a absolute tire snob, the only two tires I would recommend is the Pirelli or the Avon M550 M+S.
    RIP: Colin McRae, you will be missed.
    "I shall go before thee and make the crooked places straight."

2001 ES V6 M/T under construction
    1991 Volvo 244ti 300 whp daily driver
    www.gooichimotorsports.com

Quote Originally Posted by 6G72gearhead
    As far as all seasons go, the Pirelli P-zero Nero M+S are the ones I hate the least. Very good durable tire (very hard to puncture) and the grip very well for an all season. Thier only problem is a slight tendancy to tramline. If you dont know what that is, dont worry about it.

As a absolute tire snob, the only two tires I would recommend is the Pirelli or the Avon M550 M+S.
    pirelli it is, ill see if i can get the money..

i'm just curious, what would you recommend for a summer tire? in the same 150 price range.

Experienced TGC Member
    GOOFYEAR GW2's!!!!!! There is a reason why several of the local law enforcement agenices use these tires.

*Expect to spend $190+ per tire though :?

Quote Originally Posted by rez887
    Kumho= Not Good!
    ^^ X2.

I had two sets of Kuhmo Ecstas. They wear fast and are noisy as hell and most importantly they have really bad sidewall construction.

I just got a set of Dunlop SP Sport 8000, all season, Z rated for $91 per tire.
    Chip

2000 Basalt Black Metallic GTZ
    (Paint Code: Porsche LC9Z)

Genuine experience carries a lot more credibility than the ability to answer a question.

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    I got some Khumo Ecsta SPT 225/45/17 for $89/tire back in Feburary. Not a bad tire at all for dailey all around use. There is no noise from my tires and the sidewall looks a bit soft, but its not a race tire, it probably not even considered a high performance tire. I have no complaints on mine.
    7g for life!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast