The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: '94 Galant MAF sensor issue

Showing results 1 to 11 of 11

'94 Galant MAF sensor issue

Hi all,

I have a '94 Galant on which a friend did some mods claiming I could get a few extra ponies and a mile or two extra per gallon.

First he cut open the air cleaner box for more flow. He put in a K&N filter, and pulled out the honeycomb thin metal pieces and opened up the passages between the air filter and the sensor.

Great, you say. No, not really. He wasn't knowledgable in the fact that the sensor wasn't anything to do with "smog' as he claimed.

Now I have a car that idles like crap (read stalls) and runs only with the sensor unplugged. And that gives me no use whatsoever, as now a host of issues have cropped up. First is my mileage is no better than 18 / gal. Second is abrupt gear shifts, and the third is a sticking of the accelerator at about 1,500 to 2,000 RPM.

I have had no issues prior to the mods my friend made. Now, I can't find any sensors with the entire assembly in tact. Any other places I can look? What about OEM?

You are here entirely tooo much!!
    Never fux with the honeycomb. Leave that Honda rice shit for the cheap cars man.

Not how fast your car goes but how good u drive going fast.
    Drive It Like You Stole It!
    7G Erubini Body Kit for sale
    http://thegalantcenter.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=57678

Yeah. I know that now. I'm not looking for what not to do in the future, however. I'm looking for any parts I can use to replace the screw up. Know of any aftermarket / OEM? I really doubt OEM parts are still made for a 14 year old vehicle, though.

You are here entirely tooo much!! 4-G-rim's Avatar
    Sounds like he really F'ed up your car. The MAS sensor honeycombs should never be removed...they act as air flow regulators for the sensor to properly do its job. I am sure there are 7g owners here that have upgraded to cold air intake that still have their stock setup still laying around. Either go back to stock or buy a intake from ebay or something..its better than the hack job you have right now.

First step though is get a new MAS either from a junkyard or ebay or maybe here or any other message board with Galants or 2g Eclipses. 2g Eclipse/Talons that are turbo 4g63 equipped (95-99) share the same MAS sensors as the 7g's.

All your other problems are most likely a direct result of the hacked MAS...once thats back to normal, your other issues should be resolved too.

1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000_________1996 Galant "S" 5 speed 2.4L turbo

I still have my stock MAF, if you want it pm me.

222whp/250wtq

Another question while I'm on this topic. If I were to get a replacement stock MAF, could I use one of those 3" conical filter adapters, like I see on ebay for about $12 including shipping?

Something like this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=280113159097

Then attach a high flow filter to it? Or will that screw up the computer, still?

That wont mess anything up, those work fine.
    Thats what im running on my GS-t and what i ran on my G

Yeah as soon as I hear back from him, i'm sending him my old adapter and filter setup along with the MAF. Always got love for the fellow 7g's

222whp/250wtq

Yeah, she'll be back to her old self again running like a champ.

196,000 on the clock and still ticking!

Whoever said these were low maintenance cars to own was certainly correct! Very few things I've had to fix on it, minor stuff only.

Thanks everyone; you're all great! :)

Witch honey comb did he pull out?

He pulled the three or four of the small bits between the air cleaner and the sensor.

There is some glue residue, so it was apparent to me that he wasn't supposed to pull them out. Now I know...the hard way.

It's alright, though. My replacement is on its way!