The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: power wire throgh firewall

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Showing results 21 to 40 of 40
    well i found this in looking for a way to get a wire through for power, but i dont have a drill, so i cant drill a hole through, and i just moved so i dont know many people here...

anyone know of a gromet thats easy to get to from the engine side, and als easy to get to from the interior ?

WarmAndSCSI
    No, you don't want to run your amp power wire alongside any other wires. Bad idea. It needs its own path.

shoot..... and teh wire i got is too short to go from the bat. along the firewall, through the clutch spot(if i had a drill), and into the trunk :(

i kinda wanted to put it in the trunk cuz that the only wood i can screw it onto...

any other options beyond running it outside ? theres no punch out things in the fire wall are there ? :(

i know with the 8g's if you go through the fender, you can get into the car down by the kickpanel.

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

WarmAndSCSI
    Seriously, just buy a drill. If you do any household work you're gonna need one sooner than later.

i think im gonna, i need 1 to mount the amp... and might as well get a metal bit and do this hole... ugh... maybe i should have saved a little money.....

Experienced TGC Member fliegendaffe's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stewi View Post
    its gonna come thru the other side of the firewall on the driver side of the brake booster. If I were you, I would either go around the hole in silicone or get an automotive grommet for $2 at pep boys or autozone and install that so the wire's insulation doesnt get cut by the sharp metal. If it does, your gonna have a CAR-B-QUE
    you need a grommet not silicone. putting silicone will still allow the metal to scrape the wire sheething.

so i ran out and got a drill and gromets... well the gromets are too big, so i wrapped the wire in a ton of electricial tape (about 6 or 7 layers) so thats how it is till tomorow when i have more time to buy the rite size gromet

Quote Originally Posted by 98GalantDriver View Post
    so i ran out and got a drill and gromets... well the gromets are too big, so i wrapped the wire in a ton of electricial tape (about 6 or 7 layers) so thats how it is till tomorow when i have more time to buy the rite size gromet
    how you going to get the grommet around the wire if it's already ran and connected?

cut one side, wrap around the wire, glue or tape cut shut, then slide into hole in fire wall

on another note, do i hook the remote lead to the pos or neg side of an accessory that on only when the cars on ?

hey warm can i see a pic of where u ran your power wire if u have one, im sure its just a little left of the clutch template but i wanna be sure
    RIP GALANT, GOOD MORNING BMW 330i

330i ZSP (E90) - S4 (B5) / hellaflush

Quote Originally Posted by 98GalantDriver View Post
    cut one side, wrap around the wire, glue or tape cut shut, then slide into hole in fire wall

on another note, do i hook the remote lead to the pos or neg side of an accessory that on only when the cars on ?
    that is a horrible was to do that. you're going to short something out.

and there is only a pos acc. there is no neg.

Quote Originally Posted by fliegendaffe View Post
    you need a grommet not silicone. putting silicone will still allow the metal to scrape the wire sheething.
    I used silicone sealant, it worked beautifully and without problems of wire chaffing.

Quote Originally Posted by RedGalant2k1 View Post
    I used silicone sealant, it worked beautifully and without problems of wire chaffing.
    yet

so im gonna wedge the grommet in my way tomorrow... then when i get a chance im gonna buy a longer wire... the 1 i got was 16feet, and i need about 20is to get it nicely wired and what not, but no one up here has wire by the foot :(

so im sure my grommet will hold up till i can replace the wirethen when i do that, ill get the right size grommet

just make sure you have the proper gauge and all

the gauge i have now just fits in the hole, so i gotta look at what size that is, then get that gauge wire, but by the foot.....

know a good place that sells it... like major company thats everywhere..... checked advanced auto, but they only have the sub kits, not BTF wire :(

You are here entirely tooo much!! Serstylz2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pinoyesv6 View Post
    i know with the 8g's if you go through the fender, you can get into the car down by the kickpanel.
    That's what I do, it kinda makes my hood stand up a bit but didn't have to drill anything so im not too upset

Quote Originally Posted by Serstylz2 View Post
    That's what I do, it kinda makes my hood stand up a bit but didn't have to drill anything so im not too upset
    if you go through the access hole between the fuse box and the headlight, you don't have to worry about it messing with the hood.

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

Quote Originally Posted by pinoyesv6 View Post
    if you go through the access hole between the fuse box and the headlight, you don't have to worry about it messing with the hood.
    That is what I did initially, but I could not get it into the car by the kick panel. I just ended up running it around by where the door jambs shut, and left it there.

Thanks to you guys, I found the right spot to drill the hole in the fire wall now, and I got my 4 gauge wire run through. :D

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12