The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: power wire throgh firewall

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 40

power wire throgh firewall

i searched through 7 pages of search results, and every time this question came up, it didnt get answered. im trying to get through my firewall to get the power wire for my amp through. i cant find any accessable way besides drilling. i drilled one hole, but i f*d up and i must have been going through the fender or something. so i started a new one further towards the center of the car, and it seems unusually thick, so i dont know if i should keep drilling, or if im drilling through something hidden. what is the best known place to drill through? or better yet, has anyone found a grommet to tap into? all help is greatly appreciated!

okay this is simple. Go inside the car. And look up to the left of the brake pedal. You will see a flap in the carpet. Lift that flap and you can drill through that area. That's where the clutch pedal would be if the car was manual. I have at least 3 holes in that area for all my wiring
    Jason - - cofounder of TGCNY
    click banner to enter the NY Chapter

2001 Galant ES
    2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Special Edition

awesome, thank you for the quick response. i thought about trying there, but i thought that might be going through the fender. thanks again!

You are here entirely tooo much!! Stewi's Avatar
    its gonna come thru the other side of the firewall on the driver side of the brake booster. If I were you, I would either go around the hole in silicone or get an automotive grommet for $2 at pep boys or autozone and install that so the wire's insulation doesnt get cut by the sharp metal. If it does, your gonna have a CAR-B-QUE
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

Go through the firewall as shown in the pictures.

And a tip, drill from the interior to the engine bay, NOT the other way around.

Do not skip the grommet?

Trust TGC on that one.
    8G 4 life!

Mods: CAI,Grounding wires, CCorners, Shaved, 3G STB. AGX/Teins, Addco bar, OZ F1 wheels And well maintained : )

yeah right after i got mrjaydee's resonse, i ran out and took care of it real quick-like. that is the perfect spot. it's kind of deceiving when you compare the bay to the interior and try to get the right spot. i was way too low... i was pleasantly surprised at where the hole ended up. and i did protect the cable with a plastic sleeve as shown in redgalant's photo 8)
    thanks for the help

wish i knew this when i wuz running my power wire (a yr or 2 ago) i drilled a hole that came out perfectly in the fuse box on the side of the dash.... yuppp i officially feel stupid now lol.

Experienced TGC Member
    shit, i just went through the batter and lines into the fender, into the pedal cabin. easy as cheese and no drilling.
    -Chris

WarmAndSCSI
    Don't put the wire there or in the other two smaller holes around that large one if you plan to do a manual swap - that's the template in the sheetmetal for the clutch master cylinder.

<-- speaks from experience :P

Quote Originally Posted by WarmAndSCSI
    Don't put the wire there or in the other two smaller holes around that large one if you plan to do a manual swap - that's the template in the sheetmetal for the clutch master cylinder.

<-- speaks from experience :P
    Yes, but its an easy move if you end up doing a manual swap.

WarmAndSCSI
    But why have to make the move any way? Geeze man, I don't understand your logic.

But why have to make the move any way? Geeze man, I don't understand your logic.
    Its the simplest place to drill for power wire, and MUCH better than going through the fender. Not everything needs to adhere to manual swaps and performance.

WarmAndSCSI
    You still don't see what I'm saying... you can run the wire half an inch away from the template and not have to worry about it EVER. 5-speed swaps aren't necessarily about performance - people do them just because they like a stick shift. You need to open your mind a little bit.

You still don't see what I'm saying... you can run the wire half an inch away from the template and not have to worry about it EVER. 5-speed swaps aren't necessarily about performance - people do them just because they like a stick shift. You need to open your mind a little bit.
    I'm not closed minded. Just merely providing a counterpoint. Not everyone cares for a manual swap. Those that do most likely aren't installing a stereo.

WarmAndSCSI
    Quote Originally Posted by RedGalant2k1
    I'm not closed minded. Just merely providing a counterpoint. Not everyone cares for a manual swap. Those that do most likely aren't installing a stereo.
    I think you're being close-minded again... Like I said before, people's priorities change, and to run the cable 1/2" away from the template isn't a BAD idea, is it? You just drill from inside the driver's footwell like you normally would.

I think you're being close-minded again... Like I said before, people's priorities change, and to run the cable 1/2" away from the template isn't a BAD idea, is it? You just drill from inside the driver's footwell like you normally would.
    Doesn't really matter to me if its a 1/2" over or not. I drilled it there 7 years ago in my old Galant. Is it really that big a deal where someone drills through the firewall? Not being closed-minded, just asking.

WarmAndSCSI
    Doesn't really matter to me if its a 1/2" over or not. I drilled it there 7 years ago in my old Galant. Is it really that big a deal where someone drills through the firewall? Not being closed-minded, just asking.
    Yes, it's pretty conceited for you to be arguing with me over this rather than just admitting that what I very first suggested is pretty reasonable.

Yes, it's pretty conceited for you to be arguing with me over this rather than just admitting that what I very first suggested is pretty reasonable.
    Reasonable yes. Conceited, no. Its not that big a deal to move the wire if you installed a manual transmission. You brought it up, not me.

WarmAndSCSI
    Reasonable yes. Conceited, no. Its not that big a deal to move the wire if you installed a manual transmission. You brought it up, not me.
    Yes, but I fail to see the logic in having to move it any way if the hole has yet to be drilled. You're the one trying to argue a new point, here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast