The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Lower Ball joint recall.

Showing results 1 to 9 of 9

Lower Ball joint recall.

Well its been an up and down day. Today I found out the lower ball joint on my car is going bad. On the other hand I found out that it is under recall. Does this still apply to me even so many years later.
    Yes i did search on this and I found articles, just not if im able to use it.

Sry for the stupid question

Yes it applies. Take your car to the dealer and have them run the VIN # to see if they were already replaced ... unless you are the original owner and know they haven't.

222whp/250wtq

this is where manybrews comes out of nowhere.... after months of silence
    to chime in.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

Experienced TGC Member njjfudge's Avatar
    Yeah Mine were changed on my 7g a month ago for free at the dealer. I thought mine had been changed but when they ran the vin to make my new key it came up, and I have a 95.

2001 w/Old Style VR-4 front conversion

You are here entirely tooo much!! 4-G-rim's Avatar
    Its a "safety" issued recall. No matter how old the car is...the manufacturer has to replace it if it hasn't been replaced before.

1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000_________1996 Galant "S" 5 speed 2.4L turbo

Called the Dealer and they said no dice, its out of recall. Anyone else had this happen to them?

Experienced TGC Member
    replace it asap. I had one break on me and ended up spending $800 in repairs instead of just spending $70 on the part. Trust me go do it right now. Picture driving at 50mph and have it break and have no control of steering in your car cause the wheel is pined in the fender.
    ASE Certified Master Automotive Tech
    2000 Galant ES = Daily Driver
    1996 Galant Turbo + 5 speed & lsd = fun ****SOLD****
    1992 Galant VR-4 #372/1000 Kensington Grey ***SOLD***

I had the ball joints replaced on mine along with the lower lateral arms and I still notice the same knocking from the joints as I did prior to repair. They were quiet for about three months. This was in like 2003. Haven't noticed anything, just the knocking when I go over gravel, for example.

Call another dealer or beter yet call that dealer back and ask the question again. If yu get the same answer tell them you have been advised to contact the national transportation safety board to file a complaint.

Recalls are usually directed by the government and not the manufacture. My guess is the dealer is just being an ass (not unheard of with mitz dealers). If they told you the replacement had already been done then they are off the hook but safety recalls do not have expiration dates.
    When I looked into the recall related to Galant control arms and ball joints (found at:
    http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/pr...callsearch.cfm) I found the following remarks: "OWNER NOTIFICATION BEGAN JUNE 15, 1999. OWNERS WHO TAKE THEIR VEHICLES TO AN AUTHORIZED DEALER ON AN AGREED UPON SERVICE DATE AND DO NOT RECEIVE THE FREE REMEDY WITHIN A REASONABLE TIME SHOULD CONTACT MITSUBISHI AT 1-800-222-0037. ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S AUTO SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-DASH-2-DOT (1-888-327-4236)." Good luck, jjj
    jjj
    98 ES (5 spd), 94 GS (5 spd), 94 ES (rebuilt auto), 92 Toyota 4X4, 81 KZ550 A2, 67 Mercedes 250S, 58 Mercedes 190SL