The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: My High-Boost Engine Build - 6G72

Page 1 of 36 1234511 ... LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 715
    WarmAndSCSI

My High-Boost Engine Build - 6G72

With my current block trashed after some bad detonation, I decided it was a good time to throw a few grand into a new block that can stand the power. I've been taking some pictures of the progress and will post any updates. I hope you enjoy :D

Some pistons and rods... I was numbering them until I noticed something strange. Let's take a closer look at the 4th rod from the left...

Yep, she's a goner. Thanks for hyrdolocking your old block, boostzealot I foresee new forged rods in this new block...

The block. Still needs some more disassembly.

Deck surface looks OK.

Cylinder walls and rod journals looking good too.

Ooh, a crankshaft. Shiny! PS: this puppy is FORGED (stock).

Water pump, oil pump, and rear main seal- need to check clearances on the oil pump before I reinstall it.

Misc. engine parts - all of this has to go back on.

Some new(ish) heads.

Had to put the rocker arms back on this one.

It's a block! Kind of heavy even when it's empty.

Nice cylinder wall!

The mains...

This was the hardest part - crank pulleys are a BITCH to take off with the engine out of the car (unable to use the starter trick) and without air tools.

Some new parts. 8)

Clevite tri-metal bearings... thrust washers, main bearings, rod bearings - all stock size (thanks to 3SX for stocking all of these)

8 heat range iridium plugs (thank you Summit Racing for having those in stock)

And some 3SX forged rods - these guys are probably good for 900 WHP. Got them on sale! 8)
    Last edited by WarmAndSCSI; 02-09-2008 at 01:16 AM

WarmAndSCSI
    CURRENT STATUS: The block and components have been dropped off at Pro Machine Shop here in town. They are going to do a bore and hone (40 over), deck resurface, full rotating assembly balance, and then file the rings. They are just waiting for me to drop off the pistons and rings (CP pistons and Sealed Power rings from Tearstone - thanks to Russ Sanderlin for having these).

Only thing holding up the build is the fact that Pro Machine doesn't have the small bobweights for V6 crank balancing, so they're going to have to borrow some. The block should be done by Friday the 26th regardless.

sounds expensive.
    are you gunna go turbo or stick with your supercharger?

WarmAndSCSI
    Quote Originally Posted by dknight3
    sounds expensive.
    are you gunna go turbo or stick with your supercharger?
    I'm keeping it all under 3 grand, but it'll be worth it.

The supercharger setup is staying around for a little while, but I plan on learning how to weld and making my own turbo setup. Can you say GT40R? :twisted:

man holy shit are we going to bring the pain from utah here in a couple of months. i cant wait till the 74's CP's get ordered and then we will both be making some stupid numbers. i forsee the two highest horsepower galants driving all the way to MOD 08. those who didnt pay attention last year will be blown away by the next. :twisted:

WarmAndSCSI
    Quote Originally Posted by boostzealot
    man holy shit are we going to bring the pain from utah here in a couple of months. i cant wait till the 74's CP's get ordered and then we will both be making some stupid numbers. i forsee the two highest horsepower galants driving all the way to MOD 08. those who didnt pay attention last year will be blown away by the next. :twisted:
    Indeed. My car is a very expensive, very shiny, very heavy paperweight for a week or so, though.

go 6g74 or go home.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

WarmAndSCSI
    Quote Originally Posted by DOHCstunr
    go 6g74 or go home.
    I like my rod ratio just fine. Hello 8500 RPM rev limiter :twisted:

i guess thats fair for a fwd

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

sweeeeeet!!!!!! i might be there next year. of course my engine will most likely still be stock.. :(

You are here entirely tooo much!!
    Doin it Way BIg!

Not how fast your car goes but how good u drive going fast.
    Drive It Like You Stole It!
    7G Erubini Body Kit for sale
    http://thegalantcenter.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=57678

Ya you guys are doin shit I can only dream about. Sounds good keep us updated.

WarmAndSCSI
    UPDATE: Started cleaning one of the heads. There are some knicks in the sealing surfaces (around the cylinder bore), so they are going to need to be resurfaced. Here are some pics:

Before

Cleaned up the cylinder bore areas a bit.

Started on this combustion chamber.

And it's clean.

Only 5 more to go - carbon deposits are a BITCH. :D

Quote Originally Posted by DOHCstunr
    go 6g74 or go home.
    leave that to me. :twisted:

looks good with the power you were making before it will crazy with a full build up keep the pics comming... i decided to toss out the all motor idea for my build and bought me a shinny new gt35r lol

you and boostzealot are kings of the v6's :twisted:
    Brandon - 2001 Galant GST 5speed
    Wiseco // Eagle // PTE // Holset // Turbonetics // Supertech // Blox // Prosport // Vibrant // Innovate // OpenEcu // Mishimoto // Magnaflow // Walbro // XXR // Rotora // Brembo // Hawk // R1 Concepts // Dc Sports

Quote Originally Posted by underated
    you and boostzealot are kings of the v6's :twisted:
    8) i like that.
    good buy on the 35R. what are its stats? im still gonna go with a gt3582r. i like its spool characteristics and im sure i can spool it nice and keep it in boost to redline without getting out of the efficiency island. oh and our cars are so fast because of the ignorant ass drivers in utah make it scary to drive so its nice to have something that will get out of the way and be loud enough to scare most of them. :twisted:

i got the gt35r with the divided t3 flange its got t a v-band clamp .78a/r, i got it with the ported shroud compressor housing the one with all the holes around the inlet

more pics WarmAndSCSI lol... i know exactly what you mean about the crank pulley i didnt mine without air tools and on an engine stand

do you guys work on your car on base?
    Wiseco // Eagle // PTE // Holset // Turbonetics // Supertech // Blox // Prosport // Vibrant // Innovate // OpenEcu // Mishimoto // Magnaflow // Walbro // XXR // Rotora // Brembo // Hawk // R1 Concepts // Dc Sports

its funny you should ask that because we think its kinda funny. we do all our work in tim's garage. my motor swap, his supercharger, his engine build and even his tranny swap. i have only used the base for doing my tranny swap and converting to the evo brakes. other than that its all done at the house.
    tim hows my car? i miss her already, is that wrong?

ok ok lol from the pics you guys post they all look like they are in the same place so i was just wondering if it was on base, then i started wondering why you werent using a lift... his garage is the spot then lol

WarmAndSCSI
    Quote Originally Posted by boostzealot
    its funny you should ask that because we think its kinda funny. we do all our work in tim's garage. my motor swap, his supercharger, his engine build and even his tranny swap. i have only used the base for doing my tranny swap and converting to the evo brakes. other than that its all done at the house.
    tim hows my car? i miss her already, is that wrong?
    Metal shifter knob = too cold... I've got to detail it for you before you get back - it's the least I can do. She runs well, though. Except fucking 5th gear.

I'll post some pictures of the pistons and the current state of the block when I go to relay those to the machine shop.

Page 1 of 36 1234511 ... LastLast