The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: My High-Boost Engine Build - 6G72

Page 32 of 36 FirstFirst ... 22282930313233343536 LastLast
Showing results 621 to 640 of 715
    WarmAndSCSI
    I realize this, but only time will tell. If I'm not seeing detonation through the knock sensor or by reading the plugs, I'm happy.

I've got 3 spare pistons lined out just in case. There is 1 with some scuffing on the skirt that is probably no good, but at least 2 are perfect.

Experienced TGC Member 6G72gearhead's Avatar
    Getting an excessive acceleration ticket.

Yeah, our cars are not like ford inline 6's, they need piston skirts. I have yet to pull an oil pan off one of those and not be suprised with a set of skirts in the pan.

You have rebuilt the motor enough that putting a new piston in shouldnt be a problem when the time comes. Just hope it doesnt try and bend a rod, but with a hotspot it should slowly develope, which will show up on the knock boards.
    RIP: Colin McRae, you will be missed.
    "I shall go before thee and make the crooked places straight."

2001 ES V6 M/T under construction
    1991 Volvo 244ti 300 whp daily driver
    www.gooichimotorsports.com

WarmAndSCSI
    Trust me, if you saw how #2 came out this last rebuild (shattered ring and all) you wouldn't have even mentioned rods. These rods are good for 900+ WHP - a little detonation under N/A compression isn't going to kill them.

Thats true, I forgot you took the blower off.

I'd kinda like to see some pictures of your carnage. I have a few I should post up, like, my trans, and the water pump drive gears off the blower of a Mini Cooper S.

WarmAndSCSI
    Finally got around to transferring these photos of the piston swap. I need a new camera with an actual working steady-cam mode; honestly, my hands aren't as shaky as some of the photos suggest.

And it begins...

Charge pipe/BOV removed

S/C assembly removed

Battery removed

Plenum and wires removed

Same

Lower intake and fuel rail removed

Shot of the front bank - notice #2

Another angle

Rear bank before honing

#1 honed with a 120-grit FlexHone (perfect for traditional chrome rings)

All pistons/rods laid out

All cyls honed

Pushing 2nd ring down

Perfectly level

Checking gap - 0.026"

Bagging rings

Rings were file-fit to each cyl.

Pistons separated <3 for spiral locks

Inserting my piston into a hole

Last 3 shown attached to their rods

Swap done

Ooh, shiny

Heads back on - woot!

Covers on, timing set

Mount back on

Distributor, wires, battery back in

All done

Well, that was exciting. A proper piston swap job courtesy of yours truly.

Damn I just sat here and read this tread from page one. Shit had me on the edge of my seat lol. Man I envy you and the work you have put into your ride. Good luck with everything.
    "A mile of road takes you one mile...A mile of runway takes you anywhere."

WarmAndSCSI
    Quote Originally Posted by UAL Tripple 7 View Post
    Damn I just sat here and read this tread from page one. Shit had me on the edge of my seat lol. Man I envy you and the work you have put into your ride. Good luck with everything.
    Thank you, that means a lot.

I think I'll have the car back up and running today with this new front bank cylinder head.

In other 6G7x news, I have a set of RPW NA-grind cams and springs sitting in the dining room right now. Is it bad that I want to throw these in and see how it sounds? Just kidding, I wouldn't do that boostzealot.

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    That piston looked like crap. I can call you a ricer with your fancy red wire loom muwaha.
    7g for life!

WarmAndSCSI
    Quote Originally Posted by seth98esT View Post
    That piston looked like crap. I can call you a ricer with your fancy red wire loom muwaha.
    Just hope I don't have to replace the current one... got plenty of spares on standby but I don't want to use them. No reason to be blowing pistons while N/A.

And this engine bay is not rice :smt098:

Looked better with the blower there, however. I like my ghetto intake very well.

Your washer fluid tank is dirty, you should fix that.

WarmAndSCSI
    All of my tanks are dirty, including the "washer fluid" tank.

I just realized my methanol injection isn't doing crap right now. It's ONLY activated under boost. Maybe I can set it to start spraying under 0 vacuum.

WarmAndSCSI
    Bad news, just got most everything back together and did a compression test. #2 is still right under 120 PSI (bad ring sealing), #4 is about 80 PSI, and #6 is about 80 PSI. #4 also has a puddle of coolant inside of it that I HOPE is just leaking from the gasket surface and not a crack in the head. I don't know how I'm going to drive 25 miles to get my money back on this head.

#4 and #6 were reading 160 PSI before I tore it down, so something is wrong with this head. It's probably warped between those two cylinders because the idiot who took it off didn't use the correct procedure (go figure). That or it has a huge scratch somewhere between #4 and #6 that I didn't see before. Or the valves could be bent. Who knows? I need to tear it all off again and somehow get it to the machine shop to be checked and resurfaced along with this other head.

smacks head and screams doh! just for you. man im surprised that this has gone on like this, you know what it is right? she misses me and my torque arms. lol. good luck bro man i wish i was there scratchin my head with you. i miss those type of nights working until like 2am and getting done then tearing down 215 testing and tuning.

WarmAndSCSI
    Quote Originally Posted by boostzealot View Post
    smacks head and screams doh! just for you. man im surprised that this has gone on like this, you know what it is right? she misses me and my torque arms. lol. good luck bro man i wish i was there scratchin my head with you. i miss those type of nights working until like 2am and getting done then tearing down 215 testing and tuning.
    I know... wish I had somebody here to prod me along. I've come this far, I'm not about to give up. If you read random thoughts, I talk a little bit more about it.

Any way, here's the plan:

- Tear off the "new" front head
    - Get the two "new" heads resurfaced and checked for cracks, pressure holding, etc.
    - Tear down my old 6G72 and make sure it's good to be bored over 1 mm
    - Get the block magnafluxed, bored, and decked (rotating assembly is already balanced)
    - Assemble everything and get new pumps, new tensioners, etc. Most of this stuff is in great condition, but there's no reason to chance it.
    - Use one of my spare pistons to replace the pitted #2 (going to ask the machine shop which one is the best choice) and hope the rear 3 are OK

Going to start running prices tonight and see how much of a chunk this will take out of the turbo build.

Damn Tim. I am impressed on how you are handling this build. With such precision and the desire to be perfect and flawless inspires me! I wish you luck!

I am so jealous of you and boostzealot. i need to start my build....
    Jigz-TGCIL Sosick Motorsports

R.I.P. Christopher "CRAZY CHRIS" Beckmann
    "you dont appreciate friendship until you lose your bestfriend...."
    I'd rather have the knowledge and ability to do it than the money to buy it already done.

all in due time bro all in due time. i was lucky enough to have this deployment happen at the time of my accident and plans for my rebuild otherwise i would just now be getting my jdm conversion done.

Why a jdm conversion, your car looks baller as it is.

Quote Originally Posted by 6G72gearhead View Post
    Why a jdm conversion, your car looks baller as it is.
    ditto.

keep the USDM!

FUK_JDM
    Jigz-TGCIL Sosick Motorsports

R.I.P. Christopher "CRAZY CHRIS" Beckmann
    "you dont appreciate friendship until you lose your bestfriend...."
    I'd rather have the knowledge and ability to do it than the money to buy it already done.

thats for another thread guys but to keep it short, just wait for the end results. you'll see.

WarmAndSCSI
    JDM

How lame...

Any way, I need to look up the prices again for the work I need done. HOPING the heads only need a quick cleaning and a resurface. Maybe somewhere around $250-300 for machine work? Last time it was $900!

Page 32 of 36 FirstFirst ... 22282930313233343536 LastLast