The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: My High-Boost Engine Build - 6G72

Page 5 of 36 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
Showing results 81 to 100 of 715
    WarmAndSCSI
    So, for those of you wondering what happened, I got the car started (have plenty of new pics, but I'm not in the mood to post any - check my PhotoBucket if you want). Shortly after breaking it in with boostzealot, I wrapped the drive belt around the timing cog on the way to work (crankshaft pulley came loose because it wasn't seated well). I jumped 5 teeth and bent 12 intake valves. I'm replacing those valves this weekend.

So far, I've pulled 12 valves from my old heads - 3 were bent, the rest were perfect. I ordered 3 replacements from Sealed Power - they'll be at Checker tomorrow to pick up. Now it's just a matter of installing the new(er) non-bent valves and starting the car back up. :?

damn...

2002 blue G RIP07
    2003 grey G with the heart of an Evo 8
    1999 beige G . winter beater and well its beige

awwww man thats crazy i know you'll have it up and running soon this was the quickest build ive seen lol

BTW i use blue loctite on EVERY bolt just cuz im paranoid like that
    Brandon - 2001 Galant GST 5speed
    Wiseco // Eagle // PTE // Holset // Turbonetics // Supertech // Blox // Prosport // Vibrant // Innovate // OpenEcu // Mishimoto // Magnaflow // Walbro // XXR // Rotora // Brembo // Hawk // R1 Concepts // Dc Sports

WarmAndSCSI
    Quote Originally Posted by underated
    awwww man thats crazy i know you'll have it up and running soon this was the quickest build ive seen lol

This crank bolt was covered in Loctite, but it still worked itself out due to a bad wobble :? My 3 new valves should be here tomorrow. I just need those and a new timing belt and I'll be set. I inspected the valve guides on the bent valves off the old heads and they were still okay, so I suspect the same is the case for the heads on the engine.

You are here entirely tooo much!! Stewi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WarmAndSCSI
    Quote Originally Posted by underated

This crank bolt was covered in Loctite, but it still worked itself out due to a bad wobble :? My 3 new valves should be here tomorrow. I just need those and a new timing belt and I'll be set. I inspected the valve guides on the bent valves off the old heads and they were still okay, so I suspect the same is the case for the heads on the engine.

LOL forget blue loctite. Anything like a crank bolt gets the strongest loctite they sell.
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

yah i use the red for the crank bolt i just didnt feel like typeing it out at the time but i guess i should have cuz im typing it now lol
    Wiseco // Eagle // PTE // Holset // Turbonetics // Supertech // Blox // Prosport // Vibrant // Innovate // OpenEcu // Mishimoto // Magnaflow // Walbro // XXR // Rotora // Brembo // Hawk // R1 Concepts // Dc Sports

WarmAndSCSI
    So far tonight, I got one head pulled, all intake valves removed, exhaust valves leak checked, and the new intake valves lapped to the seats. I've got to run to Checker tomorrow to return this valve spring compressor that I rented (I ended up buying my own because their rental doesn't work on our heads) and get some new valve stem seals.

I'm working at a pretty good pace - I think I can have both heads put back together before dinner tomorrow.

nice work i cant wait to see it done

WarmAndSCSI
    I'm almost done - just taking a break. Head bolts are a bitch Got the heads back on, timing done, lower intake on, distributor back in. Just need to throw the headers, the plenum, and intake piping back on. So close 8)

oooo im so excited

just seing our G with power is really really....

erotic :mrgreen:

i cant wait for my g have some POWER!!!

2002 blue G RIP07
    2003 grey G with the heart of an Evo 8
    1999 beige G . winter beater and well its beige

The suspense is killing us.....lol. Good work so far!!!!! It's nice to see that fellow G owners on here post stuff like this to give others ideas, walk-throughs, and motivation to get stuff like this done to their cars. :D Looking forward to seeing a successful completion update. Standby for 4G63t this holiday season in my G. No more 4 cyl for me........ :twisted:

Car is sold, no more G.... Moved on to something a big more sporty.... lol

WarmAndSCSI
    Well, she runs. I do have to tear off the timing belt again soon to replace this broken timing cog - the pin to align/hold the crank pulley sheared off. Got a spare though :) For now, lots of high strength threadlocker will hold it together. I tried it last night but only gave it a few minutes to cure - it's had almost 12 hours now and should hold up a lot better.

WarmAndSCSI
    Good news! The car is running excellent. Compression is developing nicely - 160 PSI across all front bank cylinders. I expect that'll go up another 15 PSI while breaking in - only 80 miles so far on the car.

The only problem right now is a stall when falling to idle - I've always had this problem though. It's purely tuning related. Could just be my BISS (Basic Idle Set Screw).

Was gonna mention that too....lol. You could just raise the idle just a lil to compensate for the stalling.

Car is sold, no more G.... Moved on to something a big more sporty.... lol

WarmAndSCSI
    Quote Originally Posted by JDM4G64T
    Was gonna mention that too....lol. You could just raise the idle just a lil to compensate for the stalling.
    I had the idle raised before all of this - I figured that with a completely balanced lower end that I could drop it back down to stock. I was probably right - I just realized my plenum ground (that goes to the firewall) isn't bolted on :oops:

good job on getting it done... pics and videos or im gonna be sad lol

WarmAndSCSI
    Yeah, she's running well. I need to get some Loctite 660 to fix the keyway on the supercharger again, but everything else is mechanically sound.

I think I'm still getting false knock between 3000-4000 RPM - I was when I first rebuilt the engine and then after the valve swap. I might just get a conservative tune on the car and then unplug the sensor. I'm not going to be getting any catastrophic knock with the winter air temperatures here in Utah.

On a side note, I'll get some pictures and videos when I'm feeling up to it. Boostzealot called me a few hours ago and told me that his G is totalled. Fucking idiot ass H2 in Vegas. I'll let him tell his story if he wants to, but I'm seriously just as pissed as he probably is right now. A lot of my spare time went into building and tuning his car :cry:

Experienced TGC Member glantv699's Avatar
    On a side note, I'll get some pictures and videos when I'm feeling up to it. Boostzealot called me a few hours ago and told me that his G is totalled. Fucking idiot ass H2 in Vegas. I'll let him tell his story if he wants to, but I'm seriously just as pissed as he probably is right now. A lot of my spare time went into building and tuning his car :cry:
    AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH :smt089

> TGCPA - SOUTHEAST
    > 2010 Evolution X SE #183 of 340 (1 of 54 in Octane Blue)
    > 1999 ES V6 (Sold 2/2011)

WTF!!! another G down :(

You are here entirely tooo much!! Stewi's Avatar
    Yeah, she's running well. I need to get some Loctite 660 to fix the keyway on the supercharger again, but everything else is mechanically sound.

I think I'm still getting false knock between 3000-4000 RPM - I was when I first rebuilt the engine and then after the valve swap. I might just get a conservative tune on the car and then unplug the sensor. I'm not going to be getting any catastrophic knock with the winter air temperatures here in Utah.

Congrats on your build, sucks about Boostzealot tho.

I know exactly what your talking about with it stalling while coming down in the revs. I just let the idle screw out a few turns and its OK. It still surges alot when it comes down, but it doesnt stall anymore.
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

Page 5 of 36 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast