The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Swapping transmission internals?

Showing results 1 to 7 of 7

Swapping transmission internals?

Heres the deal...

After no less than three owners including myself, and 155,000 miles, my transmission is finished. I think i stripped the input shaft..

Anyways, i've searched the whole town and got my buddy to check three u-pull-it's near him, and i've still found nothing... no 7g F5M31's and no 2g F5M33's. If there are any other options for a 5-speed please let me know.

Looking through my u-pull-it, i did manage to come across a 5-speed 3000gt. the transmission is on the passenger side and on the DSM plate it says it's a F5M33. I looked a few places on the internet and they all say that too. The casing might have worked if the motor mount hadn't been busted out of it, but the slave cylinder window is also on the back instead of the front...

Now my question is, does anyone know that the internals can be swapped into my case or where i might be able to find out if they do? I have ridden in 3k's and i like the gear spread better than 2g's so i would like to do this if it's feasable.

Thanks in advance for any help. It's all greatly appreciated.

Hmm, well Iam not sure if the internals of a 2g eclipse would fit (proably would) but the gear ratio's of the 7g are a bit longer in each gear except for the last.

If you want an upgraded trans that will hold boost well and pretty much anything else you throw at it then I would go with an upgraded trans from teamrip.ocom

hope this helps.
    ---||| 97Galant, E3 16G, Safc, 5spd,Drifter Body |||---

im not looking for an upgrade at the moment, i just need one that runs... and as cheap as i can find it. im about to get in touch with a guy i know at a local tranny shop and see if he can do the swap, 3kgt tranny by the way. i hope he can cause i think the gear ratios would be much better for these 2.4 torque monsters like the one im planning on building.

You are here entirely tooo much!!
    Quote Originally Posted by laxinwarrior
    i concur.

Not how fast your car goes but how good u drive going fast.
    Drive It Like You Stole It!
    7G Erubini Body Kit for sale
    http://thegalantcenter.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=57678

already pm'd him... but does anyone know anything about 3000gt trannys?
    Diamond Star Motors - Turning ordinary people into mechanics since 1989.

Well i took the transmission out to find that the input shaft splines rounded just enough to rip the splines out of my brand new ACT 2100 disc. :evil: i've already got another disc coming in and im about to grab that 3000gt tranny and go for it. Just ordered a manual about transmission rebuilding. I figure if it doesnt work than ive wasted about $70 but if it does fit than i've saved myself hundreds and got a much better gear ratio for the 4g64. Whatever happens, it should be interesting, and so far, i dont think anyone has this gearset in our casing. It may work, or it may not. We shall see...

Anyone with experience building transmissions feel free to chime in and tell me the tricks.... Thx in advance...
    Diamond Star Motors - Turning ordinary people into mechanics since 1989.