The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: weird streeing wheel at high speed

Showing results 1 to 8 of 8

weird streeing wheel at high speed

Okay I checked out most of this section and I didn't find a topic specifically related to mine. I read about the streeing wheel shimmy but it doesn't apply to me.

Culprit: 01 Galant GTZ, no mods yet. Tires: Pirelli P4, 205/55/16.
    Occurs: There are no streeing wheel vibrations but at speeds in excess of 80mph all of a sudden the front wheels will turn very lightly either to the right or to the left and in effect the car moves closer to either lane divider.

Confused?-- Lets say you are doing 80 in a center lane on a 3 lane freeway. All of a sudden, the front tires will jerk to the right or left only very slighly and the car will move from the center lane to much closer to the center lane dividers (either left or right).. :? :shock: ??

I dont know what more or how to explain it. You gota drive it to understand. At lower than 80, i've not noticed this.

So far I avoid going more than 80 and if I must then I use both hands to hold the streeing wheel and grip tightly lol so it doesn't jerk much! Btw I've never experienced this before.. not in our 02 accord, not in the 03 sentra nor the 95 civic.. this is odd and first time i've come across such a thing!

Any ideas???

Experienced TGC Member Divinity's Avatar
    Get an alignment. If that doesn't work... might be your tires. If that doesn't work...
    ~Lady Driven~

Quote Originally Posted by Divinity
    Get an alignment. If that doesn't work... might be your tires. If that doesn't work...
    I got new tires just 2-3 months ago. Pirelli P4s @ 205/55/16.. plus yah I did the alignment as well :)!!

First thing... jack up your car, and test all the wheels for any play. If the tires have no play, check the tire pressure... and are the tires balanced properly? Before saying "yes they are" get them checked.
    A ricer is someone who believes that lights, stickers, useless parts, stupid driving and any other abnormal or dangerous driving habits help them in their need for speed or attention.

You should also check to see if all the lugs are tightened properly, and in proper order... as a precaution loosen all the bolts and tighten them properly. I don't know what you know, or don't know about wheels... but just in case you didn't know this, when you tighten the lugs on your wheel do NOT tighten them from the left to the right sequentially, you are supposed to tighten one nut, and tighten the other nut on the opposite side, and continue from there. I am not sure what the torque is for the nuts on the 8g... but generally speaking the torque for lug nuts is 85 lbs - 90 lbs... a lot of shops I know have it set to 90 lbs automatically.
    A ricer is someone who believes that lights, stickers, useless parts, stupid driving and any other abnormal or dangerous driving habits help them in their need for speed or attention.

Man i have no idea what you just said up there lol.. i'ma take it to the local tech shop that i usually visit and have them check it out.. thanks though!

You dont think its some axle related thing??? :?

CLIFF NOTES:
    - Torque each lug nuts to factory specs
    - Torque it in this order(stating from the tip): 1, 3, 5, 2, 4