The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: '94 Galant and towing question

Showing results 1 to 7 of 7

'94 Galant and towing question

Hi all,

I was curious if a '94 Galant can be set up to tow a small utility trailer and a quad I want to buy.

The combination shouldn't weigh more than 700 pounds or so.

I've done some research and haven't found much about it.

I want a quad, but I don't have the money for that and a nice truck or... dare I say it... el Camino!

Any ideas / suggestions / experience?

I looked into getting a hitch, and from what I understood, yes, it is possible, but any more weight than that, you may not be able to steer with the front wheels off the ground, lol. But seriously, if it's capable enough to pull a small uhaul enclosed trailer full of stuff (says Uhaul), it should be able to pull 700 lbs.

Experienced TGC Member njjfudge's Avatar
    Say :smt006 to you tranny if it is an auto.

2001 w/Old Style VR-4 front conversion

Ah, yes- the infamous tranny. I had a feeling the tranny might be a problem. Towing is no different, really, than having a car full of people if you carpool, though... right?

But if the tranny'll give out on me, then I'd rather just avoid it. I'm not going to risk anything, especially with over 196k on the odo...

know that noise you heard outside.........
    if your just trying to get it home, ide say go to enterprise, and rent a pickup...

i think it would be similar to driving with a car full of people, but ide be worried about the tongue weight, and how that might mess with the car.

1998 Mitsubishi Galant ES
    "freedom of speach includes volume"

True. I see people towing stuff with mid-size cars all the time. I'd just rather keep mine in as good of shape as possible until she finally croaks. I'm hoping to make it well past 200k. I suppose I should replace the timing belt if I plan to do that, too. It's been a long time...probably 115k miles since that was done... :shock:

I have a 1994 and a 1998 Galant both with trailer hitches. The 94 required a trans rebuild at 200K miles. The 98 is still going strong (no trans problems) at 130K miles. For years I have used my Galants to carry bikes and to occasionally pull a small sail boat or a motorcycle trailer with a couple of midsized street bikes on it (each weighs in at about 1000 lbs). Just remember to have your trans fluid and filter changed as per owner's manual.

FYI: The trailer hitch has 1 1/4 receiver box and requires you to make minor cut in the bumper cover. jjj
    jjj
    98 ES (5 spd), 94 GS (5 spd), 94 ES (rebuilt auto), 92 Toyota 4X4, 81 KZ550 A2, 67 Mercedes 250S, 58 Mercedes 190SL