The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: BMW Fin

Showing results 1 to 9 of 9

BMW Fin

I am sick and tired of my stupid power antenna. I've lost track of how many times it has broken. So what I want to know is, is it possible to change the radio receptor around so that instead of using an antenna, it uses one of those "fins" you see on the back of BMWs? And if possible, what would it take to make it a reality?

My antenna broke too, but mine stays up and instead of replacing it, I just want to rip it out and cap it off, but I can't find out how to get in there to yank it out. I never listen to the radio, but I guess a stubby antenna would be neat too.

know that noise you heard outside.........
    my antenna was broken from the time i bought it..... (all of 3 months ago)... but i tore mine out, and hae since put a piece of duck tape over it.....

if you install it yourself, it shouldnt cost much..... i think im gonna start looking into it... i have sat. radio, and that plugs rite into my stereo, so i dont use the am/fm much... but having a working am/fm prolly isnt a bad idea

1998 Mitsubishi Galant ES
    "freedom of speach includes volume"

My antenna broke too, but mine stays up and instead of replacing it, I just want to rip it out and cap it off, but I can't find out how to get in there to yank it out. I never listen to the radio, but I guess a stubby antenna would be neat too.
    you have to pull the carpeting away and get in there with an adjustable wrench, its hidden behind some metal i believe...it took me about an hour to swap it out and i had to get the rubber boot from a DE trim antenna for it to cover up the hole correctly...i also bought a universal antenna from an auto parts store to put in.
    Light em up.

Experienced TGC Member
    Hell someone buy the sharkfin antenna kit off of ebay.. Its like 60 bucks.. Do it and lemme see what it looks like. Ive always wanted to do it.. But funds have always come up to short!

I think (personally) that would look retarded. Not to mention you would have to redirect the wiring into the ceiling behind the headliner, cut a hole in the roof...its not like you can just slap this thing on the roof an get reception. There are actually wires involved. I think a nice alternative might be (thought about this myself) to get an S2000 or a Z4 antenna and istall it. They are short, stylish looking and they are stationary so no motor to blow out or break. Just a thought

"Why fart and waste it when you can burp and taste it!"

That short antenna might work. But a lot of new cars just use the defroster wire on the back window to get radio reception. Could I use that?

TGC Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by shovelman
    you have to pull the carpeting away and get in there with an adjustable wrench, its hidden behind some metal i believe...it took me about an hour to swap it out and i had to get the rubber boot from a DE trim antenna for it to cover up the hole correctly...i also bought a universal antenna from an auto parts store to put in.
    You guys know you can just replace the whip itself without replacing the entire antenna aye.
    1994 Galant VR-4 GOKUH ( 230kw atw )
    2000 Legnum VR-4 ( Daily, 155.5kw atw )
    1997 Legnum VR-4 - Yes Another one
    1995 FTO - V6 Mivec 200hp

That short antenna might work. But a lot of new cars just use the defroster wire on the back window to get radio reception. Could I use that?
    I dont think its the same "wire"; that has a 12v reading, you need a separate line; or drop the defrost.
    De que estamos hablando?