The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: wiseco pistons

Showing results 1 to 10 of 10

wiseco pistons

i wanna turbo my car but i think i should do pistons also.my block is stock right now.im looking at the wiseco but they give you the option of standard or bored .20 over.which should i get?

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    It depends on your block. If its stock, you get standard. If you have a lot of miles on the block or some imperfections in the cylinder walls, then you should have a machineshop bore the cylinder walls .20 over stock.
    7g for life!

yep listen to seth, are you taking the motor out of the car?
    Brandon - 2001 Galant GST 5speed
    Wiseco // Eagle // PTE // Holset // Turbonetics // Supertech // Blox // Prosport // Vibrant // Innovate // OpenEcu // Mishimoto // Magnaflow // Walbro // XXR // Rotora // Brembo // Hawk // R1 Concepts // Dc Sports

nah im not planning on it

You are here entirely tooo much!! Stewi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cbuster77
    nah im not planning on it
    I would recommend taking the motor out of the car for the following reasons.

1. Have you ever assembled an engine? Its time consuming and requires the utmost attention to detail and patience, its also 1000 times easier when its on a stand and your not laying under the car trying to tighen the main and rod bolts.

2. If yours cylinder walls arent perfect, your motor is going to wear out quickly, ruining all the work you just did to make it better. Alot of the time people bore out their motors isnt for an increase in displacement, but rather to know that they are starting with a fresh, straight and round cylinder wall. Think of it like this, if you were an artist, would you rather do a sketch on a new piece of paper or a paper that someone else drew on that they just erased their drawing?

3. OMG if you wanna upgrade your pistons, why not do the rods too!
    If your taking the motor apart to do pistons, it just makes sense to get upgraded rods too, they are only $400 and sometimes you can score a piston and rod combo deal for about $750.

4. If your doing the headswap, Road Race Service designed a special piston made for the swap, but you dont have to get it from them. You can get it thru anyone who sells Wiseco pistons, just give them the part#. You can find the part# on club 3g. These are the same pistons that are in my motor right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

If I remember correctly slowboy racing carries the wiseco pistons and eagle rods combo for the 4g64/63T hybrid setup
    Jigz-TGCIL Sosick Motorsports

R.I.P. Christopher "CRAZY CHRIS" Beckmann
    "you dont appreciate friendship until you lose your bestfriend...."
    I'd rather have the knowledge and ability to do it than the money to buy it already done.

Quote Originally Posted by 4g63lover
    If I remember correctly slowboy racing carries the wiseco pistons and eagle rods combo for the 4g64/63T hybrid setup
    They do, but.....

The reason RRE designed their own piston wasnt just to use it as a selling point, but they engineered a better piston. A very common problem with EVO pistons is that the valve reliefs are fairly deep and the top ring is high up on the piston, this creates a very weak point on the piston. The metal is extremely thin in the area between the bottom of the valve relieft and the back edge of the top ring land. With the stock design, any sort of detonation and the edge of the piston cracks off, then when the piston comes back up, the piston slams the broken piece into the head and valves causing all sorts of problems.

RRE lowered the top ring nearly 6mm, this makes the edges of the piston less vulnerable to cracking off under detonation or other harsh conditions. Not only that, but the pistons are priced within about $50 of each other.
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

Quote Originally Posted by Stewi
    They do, but.....

The reason RRE designed their own piston wasnt just to use it as a selling point, but they engineered a better piston. A very common problem with EVO pistons is that the valve reliefs are fairly deep and the top ring is high up on the piston, this creates a very weak point on the piston. The metal is extremely thin in the area between the bottom of the valve relieft and the back edge of the top ring land. With the stock design, any sort of detonation and the edge of the piston cracks off, then when the piston comes back up, the piston slams the broken piece into the head and valves causing all sorts of problems.

RRE lowered the top ring nearly 6mm, this makes the edges of the piston less vulnerable to cracking off under detonation or other harsh conditions. Not only that, but the pistons are priced within about $50 of each other.
    wow, I did not know that, something for me to look into when this build starts... :twisted: :twisted:

Brian, are you using the RRE or the Wisecos?
    Jigz-TGCIL Sosick Motorsports

R.I.P. Christopher "CRAZY CHRIS" Beckmann
    "you dont appreciate friendship until you lose your bestfriend...."
    I'd rather have the knowledge and ability to do it than the money to buy it already done.

Quote Originally Posted by Stewi
    They do, but.....

wow, I did not know that, something for me to look into when this build starts... :twisted: :twisted:

Brian, are you using the RRE or the Wisecos?
    They are Wiseco pistons, but they were designed by RRE and made by wiseco for RRE. You can get them directly from Wiseco tho.

all the guys on 3g with the EVO headswap and built motors are using this same piston, I think there are 4 or 5 guys with them on 3g.
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS