The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: SRS light

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 44
    TomL

SRS light

My SRS light comes on and off intermittently. There is no pattern to when it comes on. I did have the computer recently reset after the body shop installed new driver and passenger air bags (my wife was hit a couple of months ago by a Dodge Ram - the guy fell asleep at the wheel and totally destroyed the driver side of the car - turned out to be a 10K job). Did anyone else have this problem? I have a 2000 I4.

Re: SRS light

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TomL)</div><div class='quotemain'>My SRS light comes on and off intermittently. Â*There is no pattern to when it comes on. Â*I did have the computer recently reset after the body shop installed new driver and passenger air bags (my wife was hit a couple of months ago by a Dodge Ram - the guy fell asleep at the wheel and totally destroyed the driver side of the car - turned out to be a 10K job). Â*Did anyone else have this problem? Â*I have a 2000 I4.</div>
    get that shit to the dealer quick. TOC had his light going on and off intermittently too, and then one day his passenger side airbag just discharged while he was driving on the highway. The light indicates a potential problem. Get it fixed before you have a disaster. Oh, and glad to hear your wife didn't sustain any major injuries.

Chip
    Chip

2000 Basalt Black Metallic GTZ
    (Paint Code: Porsche LC9Z)

Genuine experience carries a lot more credibility than the ability to answer a question.

Yeah man get that check out fast........If that thing pops out at you on the freeway, god knows what would happen........
    2001 Galant ES I4
    Injen RD CAI
    Kamikaze Headers
    Brospeed Prosport Muffler
    Brembo X-drilled/Slotted Rotors
    Progress Springs
    KYB AGX Adjustables
    Racing X Headlights
    Smoked Tails
    Custom Grill
    Titanium Limo Tint
    MOMO Shift Knob
    Tenzo R Mean-6 18"
    JBL 600.1
    2 JL 12W3 D4 in topfire custom box

My ride: http://photos.yahoo.com/nrg_neo

Big H Killa
    Bring it back to the installers and tell them ever since you did this job my SRS light comes on. And make those bitches fix the shit.

u got the body shop to instal the airbags...big mistake...take it to the dealer...airbags should only be left to the trained...and o yea u can sue mitsu for more money than the body shop too

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

Big H Killa
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pinoyesv6)</div><div class='quotemain'>and o yea u can sue mitsu for more money than the body shop too</div>

TomL
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pinoyesv6)</div><div class='quotemain'>u got the body shop to instal the airbags...big mistake...take it to the dealer...airbags should only be left to the trained...and o yea u can sue mitsu for more money than the body shop too</div>

Actually, the body shop that i took the car to does work for the mitsubishi dealership which is right next door. I know that throughout the whole process the body shop would drive my car over to the dealership for things like changing the o2 sensor and resetting the computer. So it's possible that they may have installed the airbags as well. Gotta double check on that when I bring the car back for some minor adjustments.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Fishboy55)</div><div class='quotemain'>get that shit to the dealer quick. TOC had his light going on and off intermittently too, and then one day his passenger side airbag just discharged while he was driving on the highway. The light indicates a potential problem. Get it fixed before you have a disaster. Oh, and glad to hear your wife didn't sustain any major injuries.

Chip</div>

that was a load of crap.
    the airbags did NOT, nor can they just deploy.
    dont freak him out like that.

if the car has been in an accident, its doubtful there will be any warranty on it, but do you have side airbags? if you do, they have been a problem area..

if you dont, chances are something is just not plugged in fully.

Hey Manybrews, what if the light continues to come on. I had the same problem, I took it to the dealer they kept it for about three hours and said they fixed it, but I can't catch the light on and then take it to the dealer. It always goes out before I get there? What's the deal?

even if the light goes out, there is a trouble code stored.

any decent dealer should have no problem fixing it.
    like i said, weve had a lot of problems with the side airbags, but nearly no problems other than that.

most of the time when the SRS light comes on, the cars have been needing one (or sometimes 2) new seat mounted side bags.
    something to do with the harness breaking where they run into the bag.

there is NO danger of accidental deployment, as thats nearly impossible. that nonsense posted by someone else about the bag deploying on the freeway is just that.. nonsense.

to elaborate more on what manybrews said. even though there isn't really a threat of the airbags going off randomly when the light is on...you shouldn't ignore it. i mean its one thign to have the airbags go on when u don't want it. but the light might be signalling a malfunction somewhere and it might not deploy when u need to and that can cause trgic consequences.

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

When I had my Mazda MX6 one day, I put my key in the ignition and turned the key and my airbag in my steering wheel went off. It scared the living crap out of me. Anyway, it was a potention problem that Mazda new about and since have had a recall on it. So airbags going off whenever can happen.
    Love,
    Matt

Senior TGC Member
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pinoyesv6)</div><div class='quotemain'>u can sue mitsu for more money than the body shop too</div>

And then Mitsubishi will be left with a 20 dollar R&D budget, and will be forced to really just stick an untweaked Diamante engine into the new generation Galant...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(manybrews)</div><div class='quotemain'>there is NO danger of accidental deployment, as thats nearly impossible. that nonsense posted by someone else about the bag deploying on the freeway is just that.. nonsense.</div>

Do you watch Beyond Belief? I'm sure many of those things are "nearly impossible" as well, but the true stories have occured have they not? The line separating possible and impossible is more blurred than you may think.
    "Daisy tumbled short of his dreams, not through her own fault, but because of the colossal vitality of his illusion... No amount of fire or freshness can challenge what a man will store up in his ghostly heart. " - F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

"I have not failed 700 times. I have not failed once. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work." - Thomas Edison

galant2kde
    HOLY SHIT GET IT TO DEALER, I GOT A NEW 2002 nothing happen in mine BUT IN MY MOMS 2001 GALANT THE LIGHT CAME ON THE 5 mINUTES LATER BOOOOOOOOOOM THE PASSENGER AIRBAG GOES OFFF@!!!!!!!! NO JOKE THERES A PROBLEM>>>>>> GO GO GO !!!!

look, ive been working on cars for 10 years.. alongside over 300 other people (both in sales, service, etc) over that time..
    airbags do NOT just "go off"..

show me pictures, and ill believe.

TomL

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(manybrews)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Fishboy55)</div><div class='quotemain'>
    get that shit to the dealer quick. TOC had his light going on and off intermittently too, and then one day his passenger side airbag just discharged while he was driving on the highway. The light indicates a potential problem. Get it fixed before you have a disaster. Oh, and glad to hear your wife didn't sustain any major injuries.

Chip</div>

that was a load of crap.
    the airbags did NOT, nor can they just deploy.
    dont freak him out like that.

if the car has been in an accident, its doubtful there will be any warranty on it, but do you have side airbags? if you do, they have been a problem area..

if you dont, chances are something is just not plugged in fully.</div>

I do have side air bags, but I think if they need to be replaced they still should be covered by the warranty as they did not deploy during the accident, only the front ones did.

Senior TGC Member
    Or as my dealer would say...if the airbags were involved in the accident, then the warranty will not cover it. They hate warranty issues because of course it drains the assets set aside for liabilities of the business. Contingency...
    "Daisy tumbled short of his dreams, not through her own fault, but because of the colossal vitality of his illusion... No amount of fire or freshness can challenge what a man will store up in his ghostly heart. " - F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

"I have not failed 700 times. I have not failed once. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work." - Thomas Edison

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rallifan)</div><div class='quotemain'>Or as my dealer would say...if the airbags were involved in the accident, then the warranty will not cover it. They hate warranty issues because of course it drains the assets set aside for liabilities of the business. Contingency...</div>
    actually, we hate warranty because mitsu (and all other car manufacturers) pay about 40 percent less than what the job actually takes.

in case you didnt know, the dealer does NOT pay for the warranty.. mitsu pays us monthly. but a job that takes an hour only pays 7 tenths of that, so it pisses people off..
    kinda like if you got paid 40 percent less to do the same job you have right now.

how can you tell if you have side air bags?

galant2kde
    actualy in owning a used dealer shit, working in a new sealer shit and owning a autobody/parts shop, the airbags can go off any time they want is the SRS light comeones, the SRS light monitors the the sensors if a sensor is Kuropt or leakage occurs deployment of an air bag at any time will happen because the computer takes it as if the car where to be struck if front, many brews u just lost your speaking privledge please do not answer to this forum ever agian cause u just make ur self look stupid...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast