The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Changing the tranny fluid...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Showing results 21 to 32 of 32
    i just changed mine last weekend at like 145k.. dont realy feel to much of a diff it still slips a lil bit and i dont think we have a tranny filter. i went to NAPA to get the fluid and the filter to knock them both out at the same time (thinking i had a filter in the tranny i could get to) NAPA sold me one and everything. so i open the tranny up NOTHING! no filter and the gasket was to big :oops: so i just changed to fluid and called it a day.. after returning the filter to NAPA

Experienced TGC Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ricky_db
    i just changed mine last weekend at like 145k.. dont realy feel to much of a diff it still slips a lil bit and i dont think we have a tranny filter. i went to NAPA to get the fluid and the filter to knock them both out at the same time (thinking i had a filter in the tranny i could get to) NAPA sold me one and everything. so i open the tranny up NOTHING! no filter and the gasket was to big :oops: so i just changed to fluid and called it a day.. after returning the filter to NAPA
    Did you buy the Mitsu spec trans. fluid? From what ive heard, the 99 Galants have an external trans. fluid filter. The newer Galants have an internal filter. I was told that my 03 had an internal.

they told me i needed dextron three fluid and i have a 2000 so i guess it internal after NAPA screwed me i went to pepboys, auto zone just to make sure they said the same thing it neds dextron 3 :?

Experienced TGC Member
    they told me i needed dextron three fluid and i have a 2000 so i guess it internal after NAPA screwed me i went to pepboys, auto zone just to make sure they said the same thing it neds dextron 3 :?
    Diamond SPIII ATF is the fluid that is required. But ive heard you can use an equivalent. Quite frankly i dont know shit about transmission fluid, so im not sure if Dextron 3 is the same. Hopefully someone can come clear this up.

Dextron 3 and Diamond SPIII are NOT the same. If you start having transmission problems like slipping, hesitation or noise when you drop it in gear, it's because you put the wrong fluid in. There are a couple of equivalents to Diamond SPIII that I noted in a previous post, but some people are having trouble finding them. If I were you I'd drain that fluid and replace it with the Diamond SPIII or equivalent. Chalk the experience up to not using the search button.
    Chip

2000 Basalt Black Metallic GTZ
    (Paint Code: Porsche LC9Z)

Genuine experience carries a lot more credibility than the ability to answer a question.

:(

You are here entirely tooo much!! RAZ_76's Avatar
    From what ive heard, the 99 Galants have an external trans. fluid filter. The newer Galants have an internal filter. I was told that my 03 had an internal.
    Yes my 99 has transmission filter on top right next to the dip stick and looks similar to an oil filter, costs 25 at dealer. My 02 does not have an external one.

Experienced TGC Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishboy55
    Dextron 3 and Diamond SPIII are NOT the same. If you start having transmission problems like slipping, hesitation or noise when you drop it in gear, it's because you put the wrong fluid in. There are a couple of equivalents to Diamond SPIII that I noted in a previous post, but some people are having trouble finding them. If I were you I'd drain that fluid and replace it with the Diamond SPIII or equivalent. Chalk the experience up to not using the search button.
    Mind posting those equivalents? I think i read somewhere on these forums that it was Diamond SPII, I and M??? Those are supposed to be the equivalents i think. :?

Quote Originally Posted by 6G72Galant
    Mind posting those equivalents? I think i read somewhere on these forums that it was Diamond SPII, I and M??? Those are supposed to be the equivalents i think. :?
    Click Me
    Chip

2000 Basalt Black Metallic GTZ
    (Paint Code: Porsche LC9Z)

Genuine experience carries a lot more credibility than the ability to answer a question.

Experienced TGC Member
    I know all the warnings about only using Mitsubishi Diamond SP III, yadda, yadda, yadda. However in the last couple of years both Castrol and Kendall have manufactured new formulas of transmission fluid that are compatible with our auto trans.

Now before you guys go flaming me, both products are guaranteed by the manufacturer, both of which are major lubricant manufacturers. Secondly, I've been running the Castrol Synthetic for about 13k miles and I push my transmission as hard as anyone else. I've had no problems and none of the symptoms associated with using non-mitsu fluid. It's your choice, just know that there are alternatives out there.

Castrol Multi-Vehicle ATF Synthetic

Kendall VersaTrans ATF

Check with your sources and verify what I found out.
    Wow. Thanks. We carry Kendalls at my job at Goodyear. Good info! :smt023

WarmAndSCSI
    Make sure the Castrol stuff you buy is the Import Multi-Vehicle ATF... my local auto parts stores don't stock the import stuff.

well it seems like i saved my tranny for now after going to the dealer and getting the ONE the only... DIAMOND III. 8) drives detter im still thinking about trying some of the lucus tranny stuff or some kind of GOOD slip stop stuff. it realy doesnt slip very much at all it might just be the mounts. i just dont wont it to start getting worse. any ideas lucus or just start saving up for tranny day? :?:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12