The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Front End Popping Noise

Showing results 1 to 5 of 5
    Experienced TGC Member 02redgalant's Avatar

Front End Popping Noise

Some back round to the car..
    91k on the clock

I've replaced Struts/Shocks KYB GR2,Strut Mounts,Inner Tie Rods,Tie Rod Ends(they have grease fittings),Sway Bar Links,Sway Bar Bushings....I've Torque'd Everything down to spec......

Now I get a popping noise on the both side's (never at the same time its either one or the other) when I take harder turns or I brake..

I think its the ball joints would that be a bad guess? or is there a way to test them?

You are here entirely tooo much!! 9G's Avatar
    maybe the springs arent seated well?

Did you have that noise before your repairs?

The balljoints can be tested using two methods depending on suspension design.

#1 Lift the vehicle of the normal lift points and hold the front lower portion of the tire and wheel and physically shake it back and forth.

#2 Lift off the control arm itself (don't worry its safe to lift it there), that will unload the vehicle's weight to allow for you to check for suspension movement. After lifting off the control arm you can hold the front lower portion of the tire/wheel and shake it back and forth.

Experienced TGC Member 02redgalant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 9G
    maybe the springs arent seated well?
    There seated correctly..

Quote Originally Posted by RedGalant2k1
    Did you have that noise before your repairs?

The balljoints can be tested using two methods depending on suspension design.

#1 Lift the vehicle of the normal lift points and hold the front lower portion of the tire and wheel and physically shake it back and forth.

#2 Lift off the control arm itself (don't worry its safe to lift it there), that will unload the vehicle's weight to allow for you to check for suspension movement. After lifting off the control arm you can hold the front lower portion of the tire/wheel and shake it back and forth.

Nope didn't have it before..
    Im not gonna lie my driving is a little bit more aggresive because car feels so much tighter
    what exactly am I looking for?Excessive play?the noise?

Quote Originally Posted by 02redgalant
    Nope didn't have it before..
    Im not gonna lie my driving is a little bit more aggresive because car feels so much tighter
    what exactly am I looking for?Excessive play?the noise?
    If it wasn't there before you should first reinspect everything you replaced. You may have a defective strut mount, defective sway link, or even possibly other worn parts (i.e. balljoints as you seem to suspect).

As for the balljoints, you are looking for excessive play.