The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

View Poll Results: Keep galant & don't do anything to the motor or buy an evo and leave as that?

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • Leave it the way it is "the galant"

4 40.00%
  • Buy an Evo

6 60.00%

Thread: I didn't pass Smog!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 34

I didn't pass Smog!!

Hey guys I didn't pass smog at all because of--- the CAI,some kind of gas leak I have, and i think the o2 sensor, It could be one thing that leads to another. Does the CAI make the Cat converter become hotter?? Thats what the mechanic said that happens to vehicles who modifies there car especially the Intake, is that true?? I have the codes, but I'll post them later. And now I feel like I can't do anything to my car anymore Which makes me upset. :evil: :x After doing a lot of research and hopes and dreams that I would love to do to my car is now gone, because of these stupid emissions here in CA. Somewhere down the line I'll get my Evo, then having to spend money all the time on my "G" and having to go threw the hassle of Smog. Don't get me wrong I love my galant, its just all these dumb things from the DMV. What things can I do to my engine without having a problem with emissions or by pass them??? Anybody?
    Racers Against Street Racing

hmm.. i'm wondering how an intake would have ANYTHING to do with emissions...

Experienced TGC Member o1naturalhigh's Avatar
    is your CEL light on? if so...it won't pass with that light on

mechanic is trying to get money out of you. correctly installed, a CAI will not make you fail emmissions. a CEL will make you fail automatically though.

he said that the intake makes your CAT become hotter so that is why its failing smog and so called "mix messages" to the system. But I never had my check engine light on, not even for a little while. I remember that my MAF sensor "the one that looks like a honeycomb inside" looks like if it was sort of smash in from the left side of it, could that be a problem? Becasue of the airflow?? But I agree with reelax, which is true. so the mechanic suggested that I remove it and put the old OEM back on to see if that might work. Plus I have a gas leak somewhere around my car"some kind of pressure problem". But is there a high power or a good CAT that I can buy so that my origanl CAT won't break on me so fast??

WTF does the intake have to do with freaking emissions?:x

seriously, try to take it somewhere else. Find someone who has knowledge with imports.

So you dont have a CEL but they wont pass you?? WTF???

I dont know how it is in CA but here in IL, as long as the ECU isnt throwing a code, no one gives a shit about whats under the hood. they dont even pop the hood or stick anything in the exhaust. Its a simple drive up they plug their diagnostic tool in and if it clears you pass. My buddies 1G passed without an exhaust after the rear O2.

Try replacing your O2 sensors and bring it back to a different place and see if it passes. i dont see what the intake has to do with the cat seriously. And if the cat was bad it would throw a code wouldn't it?
    Jigz-TGCIL Sosick Motorsports

R.I.P. Christopher "CRAZY CHRIS" Beckmann
    "you dont appreciate friendship until you lose your bestfriend...."
    I'd rather have the knowledge and ability to do it than the money to buy it already done.

You are here entirely tooo much!! 9G's Avatar
    buy an evo.

where abouts in san diego r u ruben?? i know this guy that owns this one place...possibly get you "plan b"... i went through him twice with that plan... it's right on paradise valley road...by the brook...

Quote Originally Posted by 4g63lover
    WTF does the intake have to do with freaking emissions?:x

seriously, try to take it somewhere else. Find someone who has knowledge with imports.

So you dont have a CEL but they wont pass you?? WTF???

I dont know how it is in CA but here in IL, as long as the ECU isnt throwing a code, no one gives a shit about whats under the hood. they dont even pop the hood or stick anything in the exhaust. Its a simple drive up they plug their diagnostic tool in and if it clears you pass. My buddies 1G passed without an exhaust after the rear O2.

Try replacing your O2 sensors and bring it back to a different place and see if it passes. i dont see what the intake has to do with the cat seriously. And if the cat was bad it would throw a code wouldn't it?
    CA is the toughest on emmissions in the nation... that's why only parts that get California Air Resource Board Exemption Order Number s(C.A.R.B. EO #) are considered 50 states legal. our cars are tested after the first 5 years then every other year after that. the ECU and muffler are hooked up to the car via cables and a sniffer, then the results are sent straight to the state capital DMV computers.

I'm located in Spring Valley right now. o1naturalhigh Where are u located?? Maybe we can meet up somewhere and help me out, that would be great :)

HERE ARE MY CODES---- P0421>warm up Cat efficiency below Threshold (bank1)
    P0136> 02 sensorFault (Bank 1 Sensor 2)
    p0455> Evap Cntrl System Gross Leak Detected
    P1500> which nobody knows
    Remember I have a CAI And an OBX Exuast pipe thats all.
    Any Ideas??

Quote Originally Posted by ruben71
    I'm located in Spring Valley right now. o1naturalhigh Where are u located?? Maybe we can meet up somewhere and help me out, that would be great :)
    i'm right next to 2 story mcdonalds on woodman and paradise valley rd.

ok I pretty sure I know where that is. I'm right off jamacha road and a right on Elkelton blvd. just for info, 2001 pearl white galant w/stickers. :D

just do the magic smog and call it a day...why buy an evo? making car payments blows chunks, and the insurance...lets not go there. plus everyone and their mom has an evo now. that joint on the corner still does magic smog? i remember the guy that was working there before (forgot his name) was doing magic smog. he had a sic ass ae86 hatch with a 7m in it... if they still do, imma get my truck done there. i pulled the egr on mine and i aint trying to put it back together.
    02 Galant ES I4 ~ DD. JDM Kit/BBS LM Gold/D2/EvoRecaro/EGR/JL Audio/Eclipse Audio/Greddy/Injen/Project Kics/Brembos
    2010 Lexus IS350c Tungsten Pearl Mica/Volk GTM/H&R Springs/F sport intake/Project Kics/Lems Shift knob
    2010 Lexus IS-F Ultrasonic Blue/Volk TE37/HKS Hipermax IV GT/Ventross Kit/Lexon/JoezPerformance/Tom's/Project Kics/RR-racing tune
    2009 Acura TL w/Tech package A-spec Kit/ BBS LM/Tein

you're never going to pass with those obx headers...that's your main problem right there and the reason you're throwing most of those codes. i remember warning you a while back about installing those....

if you want, bring me the car and 2 bills and voila, problem solved!
    From Boost Addicts to Carbon Fanatics™ www.socalautowerks.com

Censee: Im trying to pimp some hoes for money for the lsd. 3/28/2011
    Cali: Sig 3/28/2011

Quote Originally Posted by dronesurfboards
    i remember the guy that was working there before (forgot his name) was doing magic smog.
    oh you been there before too?? his name is tony. he owns the shop now.

*edit...i just realized it...us 4 got a white galant.

hey cali i got a problem with my car not having a OEM CF hood? can i give you 200 bucks and voila...problem solved?? haha! Oh btw who has a white galant with 3rd gen tail lights i saw on woodman a lil over a week ago? i saw it but i was busy text messaging to say yo plus it was like 1:30am and if i did that, i think shiet might go down in that area of town. haha!
    02 Galant ES I4 ~ DD. JDM Kit/BBS LM Gold/D2/EvoRecaro/EGR/JL Audio/Eclipse Audio/Greddy/Injen/Project Kics/Brembos
    2010 Lexus IS350c Tungsten Pearl Mica/Volk GTM/H&R Springs/F sport intake/Project Kics/Lems Shift knob
    2010 Lexus IS-F Ultrasonic Blue/Volk TE37/HKS Hipermax IV GT/Ventross Kit/Lexon/JoezPerformance/Tom's/Project Kics/RR-racing tune

hey cali, I don't have my kamikaze headers on at all. I still have them with me for sale still. The only thing I have is my intake and groundwires and an OBX Tailpipe(not headers). But does the intake make the CAT hotter? Thats what I want to know. Anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by dronesurfboards
    Oh btw who has a white galant with 3rd gen tail lights i saw on woodman a lil over a week ago? i saw it but i was busy text messaging to say yo plus it was like 1:30am and if i did that, i think shiet might go down in that area of town. haha!
    *raises hand...that be me....what you mean by shit might go down in that area??

haha! im just playin..that was my old stompin grounds for a good 18 years till i moved. so now ive seen 2 tgc members....you and fbi. who's next?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast