The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 94-95 OBD Confusion (Logger related)

Showing results 1 to 6 of 6

94-95 OBD Confusion (Logger related)

I'll cut to the chase...I'm doing my turbo research...yadda yadda...

Now...for whatever reason the 94 and 95 Galant have the random OBD I / II halfbreed thing going on and so do some other model Mitsus.

So the issue is how does one log a 94/95 ECU?

www.pocketlogger.com
    The Pocketlogger seems like a great choice, but I can't seem to find any info on it functioning with one of our "half breed" OBD systems. I'd much rather go this route with an old m130 mounted with easy view in the vehicle.

http://www.limitless.co.nz/
    The next option that is guaranteed to work is Evoscan.
    The difference being that this operates on a Windows OS from a laptop. Granted it may have slightly more abilities and is visually more appealing, but I can't possibly imagine mounting my old laptop near the passenger seat and be able to safely view needed information.

My next question was what actually made the Evoscan work properly with Mitsu's numerous unreadable ODB's.

I can't possibly imagine the program code being much more complicated to understand the ECU. From what I see it would just seem to be the need of grounding out pin 1, which isn't done with the typical OBD II reader I believe.

EvoScan 1.4E USB OBDII DataLogger Cable
    High quality and high performance datalogger cable, capable of extreme high speeds.
    Perfect for EvoScan, and supports all OBDII vehicles, and all openport software. Specifically supports ALL Mitsubishi vehicles for datalogging - includes Pin1 grounded for full Mitsubishi diagnostic support. This is a perfect datalogger cable where no ecu reprogramming is required (ecu reprogramming is currently only available for Mitsubishi Evos 7/8/9)
    This added to my wacky thought too. I can't find a close view of the connection of the cable that would go to the OBD port, but is it possible that this cable only has a ground in place for pin 1 that allows it to be read and would modifying another OBD II reader in this method produce the same result?

Or am I nuts and just overlooking something..
    RIP
    1995 7G 4G64 / 63T DOHC Turbo
    Part Out Coming Soon

In search of 2G 3000GT VR4

Daily driving
    Dat '08 Cobalt Coupe

You know I ve been thinkin the same thing. When my CEL came on for the first time I looked up on Internet and I found that 94 ES have ODB2 connector, so I bought a scantool. It of course didnt work, cuz it was sayin that it was unable to make a connection. I got pissed off cuz I spend $100 on the scanner. Yeah, I read somewhere in the forum or on the web about the difference in the wires on the OBD2 plug for OBD1 ECUs. SO your idea may work only by swithing wires. Im not sure, but Ive heard that when u ground pin1 you can either count the flashes of the CEL or use a not digital voltmeter on one of the other pins and count the pulses. Someone correct me if Im wrong

Since no one can answer this than I'll go ahead and be the test dummy. I'll drop an update hopefully by the end of December.
    RIP
    1995 7G 4G64 / 63T DOHC Turbo
    Part Out Coming Soon

In search of 2G 3000GT VR4

Daily driving
    Dat '08 Cobalt Coupe

MKO is correct when he writes that you ground a pin on the 94 and 95 Galants and then count the flashes to determine the trouble code. The proceedure and how to read the flashes is covered in Haynes repair manuals. There have been postings on this forum and the galant forum that cover reading CEL. Try searching for "CEL" or "check engine light."
    jjj
    98 ES (5 spd), 94 GS (5 spd), 94 ES (rebuilt auto), 92 Toyota 4X4, 81 KZ550 A2, 67 Mercedes 250S, 58 Mercedes 190SL

our cars also have the 4-5 pin mitsu connector under the dash also. It is the same as the 1g connector.

I did a lilttle research and found that the 94-95 Galant comes with two connectors and are OBD1. So if you want to read codes you have to use both of them