The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: STarter Problem

Showing results 1 to 8 of 8

STarter Problem

so i did alot of research through web and forums...and im in pretty sure i have a starter problem..well my car is taking 2-4 tries before firing up..im sure its not the battery got it replaced 18 months ago and all the lights and radio turn on when i try to start the car....i think i hear a clicking noise when i turn the ignition and nothing happens...

My question is it the starter? and is it easy to remove to get it tested?

Thanks in advance...............
    wise up or stand down

You are here entirely tooo much!! Jeffylou87's Avatar
    Hmm.. If its clicking it means that there's not enough current for the engine to kick over. When is the last time you checked the battery? I'm not saying it is the battery it could be either the starter or the battery. If the battery is fairly new, starters dont just give out one day, they slowly die.. This is a sign of a dying starter.

Thanks....because its been happening for about a week and im been sleeping on it... i wonder how hard it is to change..
    wise up or stand down

Its not very hard. Do you have an I4 or V6?

Experienced TGC Member Bloody Arro's Avatar
    Took me a little over an hour to change my starter on the i4. Then again, I had no clue what I was doing.

One was you can find out if it's your starter is the "hammer test".
    Locate your starter when you have troubles starting up and semi-lightly knock it with a hammer or something that is hard enough (I've used wire strippers at times). If your car starts up like normal after that, it's more that likely the starter.

The starter on the i4 is right under the exhaust mani. I'm not too sure about the V6.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue8g View Post
    And fwd grocery fetters are fun, you wouldn't be on this forum if you didn't agree
    Quote Originally Posted by 8thLS6 View Post
    Tuning to me is like magic... I don't understand it but it makes things happen lol

Same place on the V6.. Very easy to remove.

Experienced TGC Member 02redgalant's Avatar
    its not hard..but if i were test the replacement unit before you put it in i got reman unit turned out bad so i had to do the whole job 2x :/......for the I-4 disconnect the ground off the battery,take off the exhaust heat shield (4 bolts),starter heat shield (3 bolts),remove the ground and power wire,there's two bolts that hold the starter to the transmission ...one is easy to get with sockets, the other one you have to use a wrench there's like no room

here's a video that i checked before hand
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kx-iATU4_yA

THanks for the response fellas...just been busy trying to get valentines settled...testing it will be on my next to do list.. as of now its starting up normal.. but will get it tested.. Thanks again
    wise up or stand down