The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: overheating

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Showing results 41 to 56 of 56
    Quote Originally Posted by 732Galant View Post
    I am still waiting for a nice day to put mine up on the jack and look around. I had my radiator changed a few weeks ago and now I am smelling antifreeze and occasionally see a drop or 5 underneath the passenger side front bumper, weird thing is there is no hose there, but thats where I see it. Temp guage seems to creep past mid, but my fans do come on.
    Your resovior is over on that side of the car along with the over flow tube. thats why you see it on that side.

Quote Originally Posted by IVORY_G View Post
    Had a new radiator installed along with new thermostat and radiator cap. Seems to have taken care of the problem. No more overheating or leaks. But sometimes I smell radiator fluid through my air vents now. Is that normal after a new install?
    Possibly normal if the engine bay got alot of coolent spilled on it during replacement of the radiator. Try cleaning out the engine bay then let it dry up. After go drive the car like you normally would. If you still have the smell a few days later, then go under the hood look for leaks. If you cant find any leaks then try flipping back and forth from heater hot to a/c cold. If it still smells when on a/c cold it most likely is not your heater core. But I would not count it out. From their it's up to you what you want to do.
    good luck on it!

Quote Originally Posted by 01blackG View Post
    Your resovior is over on that side of the car along with the over flow tube. thats why you see it on that side.
    So any idea on what to check for? I smell the coolant, and the car itself at idle after its been running for awhile appears to run hotter. It goes past mid way on the temp guage which it didnt do previous to the changing of the radiator nor did I ever smell coolant before.

So any idea on what to check for? I smell the coolant, and the car itself at idle after its been running for awhile appears to run hotter. It goes past mid way on the temp guage which it didnt do previous to the changing of the radiator nor did I ever smell coolant before.
    Make sure the coolent is topped off. After replacing the radiator, it could be a number of things. If there was not a 50/50 mix of coolent and water then that can cause funny things to happen some times. But if that was the case the mix would have to be way off.

Try replacing the termostat, also make sure the 2 hoses running from the radiator to the engine are tight and not leaking any.

If after doing the above if it still seems to be doing the same thing, I have been reading around on sopme threads and people have mentioned that the G has a coolent temp relay or somthing like that. And that could be the problem.
    Good luck!

Thermostat was replaced to when the radiator was changed. Its annoying, everything was done exactly as it should have been. I see no leaks, but I smell coolant and my temp guage creeps above mid and stays that way until I get going a little bit and then it cools to normal. Fans do come on though.

Thermostat was replaced to when the radiator was changed. Its annoying, everything was done exactly as it should have been. I see no leaks, but I smell coolant and my temp guage creeps above mid and stays that way until I get going a little bit and then it cools to normal. Fans do come on though.
    Also make sure the belt that drives the water pump is good and adjusted right. Could be the water pump going bad also. You might also want to buy a new radiator cap if they didnt give you one with the new radiator. Could be heating up pushing coolent through the cap and out the overflow bottle then that makes you low on coolent which then causes it to heat up. These are just some ideas or things to check. I really cant tell since I dont have it in front of me.

Quote Originally Posted by RafalGTZ00 View Post
    This may help......

ok, i have a question about this picture.

as far as i understand, on our 8g galants, the thermostat is in the lower hose. which means, that the cooled antifreeze has to go through it before the hot antifreeze can go into the radiator to be cooled. do i understand it right?

and even if so, why would mitsubishi make it like that? it doesn't make sense to me...
    Quote Originally Posted by bronxbombr View Post
    usually its either. Thermostat, water pump, hoses, radiator, coolant, and gaskets. But a majority of time when a 8G gets up to say about 130k on the OD the O-ring for the water pipe that goes from the water pump to the back of the engine block goes bad. THe whole pipe has to be replaced and can only be bought from the dealer for about 70+ dollars. I know i been down that road already.
    do you have the part number for that pipe?

TGC Regular
    thermostat is on the upper hose on galants. theres no reason for it to be on the lower hose.
    Your signature is too long.

anyone has different information?

i've changed the thermostat on my galant twice, and both times it was in the part that connects the lower hose to the engine.

TGC Regular
    i4 or v6? i know on the v6 its right on top where the upper pipe connects to the top of the engine next to the valve cover. i'll post a pic of either from the service manual when i get home tonight

TGC Regular
    hm... you're right lol. i got the 2 radiator hoses confused... i changed my thermostat a couple years ago and i could've sworn it was on the upper hose

do you happen to know why would mitsubishi go against the general rule of cooling system? i mean, what sense does it make to try and push cool antifreeze through the thermostat and expect it to stay open until the hot antifreeze reaches it?

Hi there, I found this site hopping to find the answers to my 4 week ordeal with my 8g Galant DE, 2.4L, AT, FI, GAS. As many of the people in this thread since i bought this car I´ve noticed that inside the car it was somewhat hot, I´ve been through the different steps many of you have: Replaced Thermostat, Repaired Radiator, Changed radiator cap twice, Replaced upper and lower hoses, Changed temperature sensor, coolent, purged many times and still have the overheating problems: start the engined and after 10 minutes temperature slowly climbs to mid and from there when ever in idle it gets hotter! as soon as I cruise temp goes down. The mechanic has told me that the head gasket had blown, we replaced and had cilynder head corrected....the end result the same, after two days out of the shop, same story as many of you wrote "And the problem still occurs."
    At the shop the mecanic says waterpump is ok. Going over the thread someone mentioned that there is a metal hose somewhere on the back side of the engine that carries coolent. The person replace the hose and it fixed all there over heating problems.
    Where is this pipe exactly located? we haven tried this yet. We even have considered replecing the whole engine or the cilynder head, for a great deal of money since i live in Bolivia and getting the engine here will cost around 2500$, at this point i´m going bananas, I just don´t know what to do, and help would be deppely appreciated

You are here entirely tooo much!!
    check to see if your water pipe is cracked, 8Gs are notorious for that also.

Not how fast your car goes but how good u drive going fast.
    Drive It Like You Stole It!
    7G Erubini Body Kit for sale
    http://thegalantcenter.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=57678

I had a similar problem and I repalced my whole radiator with a new one, changed to a lower temp thermostat and flushed the coolant and it it was fixed. About 6-7 months later I also changed my water pump and I never had problems since...

i had this problem also, i changed me coolant, still had it, guess what i had air in the system.... the guage climb all the way to about 1/8 inch away from the red on the temp guage, and then all the sudden it was like something kicked in and and then tempature fell, to normal, and when i got home i checked my radiator resevoir, it was empty... added ore to it, and then everything work as it should after that...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123