The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: overheating

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Showing results 21 to 40 of 56
    Figured I'd bring this thread back from the dead as its related to an issue I am having now. I replaced my radiator and thermostat about 3 weeks ago. Ever since then I have noticed that it goes a bit passed mid level temp guage wise. I bled the radiator, I make sure its filled properly. It was mixed right. Everything was done correctly. However after a while it creeps past the mid point and stays alil passed there or at the middle line. I am afraid of this becoming a bigger problem with the summer coming up. Any ideas? Maybe a bad thermostat. I do occasionally smeell coolant but see no leaks.

Cliffnotes:
    Replaced Radiator,Thermostat
    Temp goes higher then normal, doesn't appear to be "overheating though" just a bit passed mid.
    Sometimes smell antifreeze, no visible leaks though.
    Don't want to f my car permanently.

I talked to a guy today that was having the same problem with his. He said he replaced almost everything and it was still doing it. He later found out that there is this pipe that goes from the water pump into the engine that seems to corrode after so many years he replaced that and said everything was fine. so try that out it goes directly from the water pump you will see it.

Does the fan run when the temp goes up? Does it slightly go down when the RPM goes up to higher levels? Had a similar problem. Actually, have the problem almost every year. I just flush the radiator. Costs only $15.

You should check the fluid grade and see if its contaminated. The device itself is only $5 from autozone. And also as a precaution, check for any leaks by dropping in a few drops of UV sensitive fluid, run the engine for 5 mins, and use a UV light to see any leaks in the form of vapor/liquid. Kit itself only $10 at autozone as well.

maybe the fan clutch...DSMs, it seems, sometimes have some issues with their fan clutch not kicking the fans on when needed...I dunno...was a problem on my last car..and I replaced everything....and it was the fan clutch

You are here entirely tooo much!! IVORY_G's Avatar
    Well now Im having this problem...
    Wasnt having any issues but, I decided to check my radiator fluid a couple days ago. So in the morning before I left for the day I took off the radiator cap to see or feel no fluid. (It was sitting all night) So I poured in some Coolant (concentrated not diluted). It suddenly topped off before I could stop, I'd say around 1/4 or less of the bottle went into the radiator. The rest is still in the bottle.
    Now today Im driving to the store and I see the gut wrenching "White Smoke" emitting from my hood. I pulled over and looked at the radiator and saw coolant seeping from the top seams of the radiator. I got it home, let it cool down, and removed the radiator cap. Theres no coolant visible again, Im guessing it boiled over so much that I lost coolant. But I still and always have had coolant/water in my resevoir.
    HELP!!!
    Last edited by IVORY_G; 05-02-2009 at 10:11 PM
    JDM Zenki Conversion

Lazy hands make for poverty, but diligent hands bring wealth. (Proverbs 10:4 NIV)

You are here entirely tooo much!!
    usually its either. Thermostat, water pump, hoses, radiator, coolant, and gaskets. But a majority of time when a 8G gets up to say about 130k on the OD the O-ring for the water pipe that goes from the water pump to the back of the engine block goes bad. THe whole pipe has to be replaced and can only be bought from the dealer for about 70+ dollars. I know i been down that road already.

Not how fast your car goes but how good u drive going fast.
    Drive It Like You Stole It!
    7G Erubini Body Kit for sale
    http://thegalantcenter.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=57678

Ok well last year I flushed and filled the coolant, and replaced the lower radiator hose I believe. Im gonna start with the radiator cap, then work from there. Im also gonna check the upper and lower radiator hose to see if they're both hot. If not I'll know the thermostat is busted. Rt now My mileage just hit 90,000 miles so, hopefully nothing major needs replacement...
    JDM Zenki Conversion

Lazy hands make for poverty, but diligent hands bring wealth. (Proverbs 10:4 NIV)

If you try replacing the
    coolent
    radiator
    pump
    thermostat
    And the problem still occurs.
    I was reading a thread one day and saw that there is a metal hose somewheres on the back side of the engine that carries coolent. The person replace the hose and it fixed all there over heating problems. I have no clue what thread it was or where this pipe is exactly located. Sorry I cant be of much more help then above.

Thx appreciate ur help. Took a look at it today and bought a new radiator cap poured in some more coolant. Before I started it to check the thermo, I noticed my radiator is seeping fluid from the top of the radiator. Which explains why my fluid was low, which means I need a new radiator :( (Correct me if Im wrong) This blows!! Looks like I'll be paying $300-400 total installed.
    JDM Zenki Conversion

Yeah, I would replace the radiator. That sounds like your problem.
    And if you have a place, tools, and a bit of know how. You could replace the radiator your self. Its really easy to do. I would say easier then doing breaks on the car. And if you did take it to a shop they would charge you a minamal starting price of 65 bucks an hour for labor at least. It could be more though I have seen 100 bucks an hour before.

Yeah I have the tools and know how, but not the time or place. So I'll prob have my friend whos a mechanic do it for me. He doesnt charge me much...
    JDM Zenki Conversion

TGC Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by IVORY_G View Post
    Yeah I have the tools and know how, but not the time or place. So I'll prob have my friend whos a mechanic do it for me. He doesnt charge me much...
    koyo evo aluminum radiator :)
    Your signature is too long.

Quote Originally Posted by hsinya View Post
    koyo evo aluminum radiator :)
    Lol!
    JDM Zenki Conversion

Had a new radiator installed along with new thermostat and radiator cap. Seems to have taken care of the problem. No more overheating or leaks. But sometimes I smell radiator fluid through my air vents now. Is that normal after a new install?
    JDM Zenki Conversion

I never had any smell after I replaced my radiator

But I'm having a similar problem. Replaced radiator and thermostat about 2 - 3 months ago along with the cap. Car dies the same thing. Creeps the heat past the middle and sometimes higher but not past 3/4 but I noticed also that my fan is not coming on when it went that high

The only options I have left is to flush and change the temp sensor and last would be my water pump
    '00 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64T (Samantha)
    '01 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64 (Daily)
    '02 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64 (SCRAPPED)
    '00 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64 (SCRAPPED)
    '91 Volvo 740 Turbo B230FT (SOLD)
    '88 Mitsubishi Mighty Max (SOLD)
    '91 Kawasaki ZX7 (SOLD)
    '95 Kawasaki ZX9R

Silver_8G
    Might just be air in the coolant system or a temp sensor causing the minor over heating. The heater core might be the cause of that sweet coolant smell coming threw your vents.
    Last edited by Silver_8G; 05-07-2009 at 03:31 PM

Quote Originally Posted by Silver_8G View Post
    Might just be air in the coolant system or a temp sensor causing the minor over heating. The heater core might be the cause of that sweet coolant smell coming threw your vents.
    So what the heater core is going bad? Or some fluid got inside the vents from the heater core?
    JDM Zenki Conversion

Silver_8G
    Drive it for awhile and see if the smell stops. If it doesnt locate your heater core and check around the fittings inside and under the hood. Also another way to tell is fill the top of the carpet on the passenger side to see if its damp or smells like coolant.

ok thx
    JDM Zenki Conversion

I am still waiting for a nice day to put mine up on the jack and look around. I had my radiator changed a few weeks ago and now I am smelling antifreeze and occasionally see a drop or 5 underneath the passenger side front bumper, weird thing is there is no hose there, but thats where I see it. Temp guage seems to creep past mid, but my fans do come on.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast