The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: why do i always pull plugs like this?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 23

why do i always pull plugs like this?

8 months ago i never pulled messed up plugs. 3 spark plug changes later still same shit.

the car hesitates like i don't know what.

when motor is cold and only cold it trys to die on me. i can't hold it at a steady rpm. goes up and down about 300-400

car goes ok at half throttle, any more and the car doesn't pull harder. still pulls the same if not worse

i'm gonna buy a compression checker.

after that a new motor.

any thoughts anyone?

"DSM's, making people mechanics since 1985"
    Quote Originally Posted by polishmafia
    You want real respect from those fools? Don't race him. Tell him racing is a sport left to young boys who are still waiting for their balls to drop. Then while he's out racing, fuck his girlfriend in the ass, take pics, and leave them on his car while hes at school.

Experienced TGC Member
    You know.. I havent checked my spark plugs.. But when my car is cold the fucker just doesnt want to go at all....... IDK... I thought it was only me.. But if i figure it out ill let you know.. As of now.. I just replaced the egr valve and it worked fine with no hesitation for like a day or so and now its getting back to its normal self...........................

WarmAndSCSI
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow19
    You know.. I havent checked my spark plugs.. But when my car is cold the fucker just doesnt want to go at all....... IDK... I thought it was only me.. But if i figure it out ill let you know.. As of now.. I just replaced the egr valve and it worked fine with no hesitation for like a day or so and now its getting back to its normal self...........................
    Why would you wanting yo make your car "go" when it's cold??? :?

Always let your oil come up to operating temperature before giving your car over 1/4 throttle or letting it rev above 3000 RPM.

Experienced TGC Member
    Check your tps sensor at idle. The voltage should be .48 to .52. with the car running. If it is over that at idle your car wont go into idle properly. I had this problem with my 7g. I adjusted the tps and problem solved. It only happened when it was cold. The ecu richens up the fuel mixture while cold on startup. If tps is off the ecu doesn't see idle so doesn't do it.
    ASE Certified Master Automotive Tech
    2000 Galant ES = Daily Driver
    1996 Galant Turbo + 5 speed & lsd = fun ****SOLD****
    1992 Galant VR-4 #372/1000 Kensington Grey ***SOLD***

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    For the idle issue, sounds likes it is a bad IAC. Could be a bad/stuck open EGR as well.

The plugs look like the car has been running lean. What all have you replaced in the ignition system? Have you tried any fuel injector cleaners? Replaced the fuel filter?

And no check engine lights on?
    7g for life!

Quote Originally Posted by WarmAndSCSI

Always let your oil come up to operating temperature before giving your car over 1/4 throttle or letting it rev above 3000 RPM.
    i let it warm up for 5-7 min before i leave in the morning. it only does it if the engine sits fro over 5 hours

Quote Originally Posted by seth98esT
    The plugs look like the car has been running lean. What all have you replaced in the ignition system? Have you tried any fuel injector cleaners? Replaced the fuel filter?

no check engine lights. fuel filter was changed 1 month ago. the rest is stock. the car only has 88k on the odo. i just hit 88k yesterday

the one side of the insulator is white like it came with the other is black. the middle electrode thing has been worn down. these plugs have maybe 5k probably less

if i pull out the other ngks i bet they are the same way now. i put the new ones in 2 weeks ago. everytime i change the plugs it stops doing it for that day.

to clarify on the idele issue the first 90 seconds of starting the car tries to stall. the ecu revs it a tad bit more for a couple second then tries to go to normal and tries to die again. after 2 min it idles fine. until i pull off. the first time i pull off it tries to die no matter how much gas i give it. the engine sounds like it's gargaling and resumes like normal.

ever since the clutch failed the car has pulled like shit

my ecu is retarded, took 3 weeks for it to throw the code for the rear o2 sensor. even the mitsubishi techs said it was supposed to throw it right away. even when the were "communicating" with the ecu it said everything was ok.

i'm about to sell the POS......... not really but close

You want real respect from those fools? Don't race him. Tell him racing is a sport left to young boys who are still waiting for their balls to drop. Then while he's out racing, fuck his girlfriend in the ass, take pics, and leave them on his car while hes at school.

Experienced TGC Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kolio
    Quote Originally Posted by WarmAndSCSI

i let it warm up for 5-7 min before i leave in the morning. it only does it if the engine sits fro over 5 hours

Quote Originally Posted by seth98esT

no check engine lights. fuel filter was changed 1 month ago. the rest is stock. the car only has 88k on the odo. i just hit 88k yesterday

the one side of the insulator is white like it came with the other is black. the middle electrode thing has been worn down. these plugs have maybe 5k probably less

if i pull out the other ngks i bet they are the same way now. i put the new ones in 2 weeks ago. everytime i change the plugs it stops doing it for that day.

to clarify on the idele issue the first 90 seconds of starting the car tries to stall. the ecu revs it a tad bit more for a couple second then tries to go to normal and tries to die again. after 2 min it idles fine. until i pull off. the first time i pull off it tries to die no matter how much gas i give it. the engine sounds like it's gargaling and resumes like normal.

ever since the clutch failed the car has pulled like shit

my ecu is retarded, took 3 weeks for it to throw the code for the rear o2 sensor. even the mitsubishi techs said it was supposed to throw it right away. even when the were "communicating" with the ecu it said everything was ok.

i'm about to sell the POS......... not really but close
    Dont feel bad bro.... When i first fixed my egr (hooked it back up from it being blocked off) last year.. it literally took 7-800 miles before the ecu realized it was fixed.... This is what my car does. I start it up.. it surges for like 4 seconds.. Then it catches up.. Then it surges again for about another 4 seconds.. After about 30 seconds no more surging and its normal idle... As for the "go" when its cold.. I never drive my car before i atleast let it warm up for a little while... but when i take off before normal operating temperature it doesnt like to go.. And that doesnt mean im trying to haul ass in my car and gun it off the rip before it warms up.. Im just saying it takes a little more than normal throttle to get it up and going... But. Once it warms up its ok minus a little hesitation... The only thing i havent tried is the front o2 sensor.. I read somewhere that they dont respond till they get 600 degrees or some shit like that... So im thinking maybe the heating element in mine is bad and it needs replacing... Im not sure.. Ill try it eventually and ill let you know how it goes.. As for now.. its a galant.. Just learn to deal with it. Ive learned to let my OCD go when it comes to this car.. THere is no way in hell it will ever run like new even with a rebuilt motor... SO screw it.. it still runs (sorry if it seems like im thread jacking you dude)

don't worry brother thats why we make threads.

i just want to fugure out what the hell is wrong with it.

since we bought it in 2000 it was fine up until 8-9 months ago.

my dad thinks it might be the 8lb flywheel. i don't know. sometimes it runs decent than other times like shit

I had rough idle and hessitation when the engine is cold for long time. I posted threads and I got suggestions for EGR, fuel filter, air filter, but all I had to do was to replace the PCV valve. It has never done it since then.

Quote Originally Posted by mko
    I had rough idle and hessitation when the engine is cold for long time. I posted threads and I got suggestions for EGR, fuel filter, air filter, but all I had to do was to replace the PCV valve. It has never done it since then.
    i'll stop by the dealer and get one

come to think of it i blew the gasket for it twice in 1 week

Quote Originally Posted by 4g63t
    Try stock NGK plugs. Secondary ignition miss.
    those in the pick are the iridium ones

the ones in there now are v power, nothing special

i guess i'll try them

Proto
    Did you quit adding octane booster?

Quote Originally Posted by Proto
    i never put octane booster.

i'm actually looking for a motor, but as rare one.

i need this one to last about a year

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kolio
    Quote Originally Posted by Proto
    i never put octane booster.

i'm actually looking for a motor, but as rare one.

i need this one to last about a year
    I know someone with a GS engine, might need a basic rebuild, not sure what compression is. PM me for info.
    7g for life!

alexstayboostn
    im also having the same problems.. at start up the car tends to die out on me unless i have my foot on the gas and keep it around 1k or 2k rpm's after like 30 or 40 seconds..and once i let it go it wont die out but my idle would normally be low maybe around 400, or 300's sometimes.. some mechanic at my old job told me it could possibly be the egr soleniod... so i donno?

Quote Originally Posted by Sleepervr-4
    Check your tps sensor at idle. The voltage should be .48 to .52. with the car running. If it is over that at idle your car wont go into idle properly. I had this problem with my 7g. I adjusted the tps and problem solved. It only happened when it was cold. The ecu richens up the fuel mixture while cold on startup. If tps is off the ecu doesn't see idle so doesn't do it.
    Alex, chances are this is where your problem is. If it was the EGR valve then you would be getting a CEL but if your TPS isn't reading the proper voltage it will cause you to idle ridiculously low like that ... I know mine did it for months until I talked to Angel and he told me this same exact thing.

222whp/250wtq

You are here entirely tooo much!! 4-G-rim's Avatar
    From your plugs..you are definitely running lean. I had a similar experience a few months ago with my GVR4. Had similar problems as far as hesitation, but from my logger and stock knock gauge I could had a idea what my problem was. Come to found out that 2 of my FIC injectors were dying and cylinders 2 & 3 were running lean. Replaced my injectors and problem solved.

I would say to have your injectors checked, its could be the problem. I could find the service bulletin to find out how to diag injector or you could take them out and find a place locally to get them flow checked and diag. If you do come to find out you need some stock injectors...I got 2 sets.

1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000_________1996 Galant "S" 5 speed 2.4L turbo

Experienced TGC Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 4-G-rim
    From your plugs..you are definitely running lean. I had a similar experience a few months ago with my GVR4. Had similar problems as far as hesitation, but from my logger and stock knock gauge I could had a idea what my problem was. Come to found out that 2 of my FIC injectors were dying and cylinders 2 & 3 were running lean. Replaced my injectors and problem solved.

I would say to have your injectors checked, its could be the problem. I could find the service bulletin to find out how to diag injector or you could take them out and find a place locally to get them flow checked and diag. If you do come to find out you need some stock injectors...I got 2 sets.
    For some odd reason.. I was thinking this was where my problem was at.... without a doubt.. Damn near every electronic under my hood is brand new minus the o2 sensor and injectors............. Hmmmmmm..

Quote Originally Posted by 4-G-rim

you seriously got me thninking now. all of my spark plugs look that way. it would make sense that i feel like i hit fuel cut at half throttle

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast