The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: is this turbo to big for my 64/63 setup

Showing results 1 to 14 of 14

is this turbo to big for my 64/63 setup

i just happen to stuble accross this on ebay with 2 mins left so in a hurry, i bidded on it.

its a brand new garrett. the listing said it was a t3/t4. it was supposly had the standard t3 flange, but when it got here today i seen that it had twin scroll big (t4?) flange. it have a vban dp which i am really not goning to use. i am not 100% sure if i am going to keep this turbo yet. i was going to save it for my 4g64/1g 4g63t galant build. i wasent expecting a twin scroll. i am some what new to turbos so i am not sure if this one is good for my set up, but i know it dosent fit my hald ass obx manifold

should i:

1: sell the turbo and but another
    2: keep this turbo, its better for my set up and get a different manifold

ar50 m-24 rc

i been debating on converting to awd, building the bottom end and adding a dpi nitrous kit
    parting out my 7g project. 1g turbo head with gs cam gears, talon tsi front and rear brakes/5lug conversion. xtc 2g fwd clutch and pressure plate. complete 7g 5spped swap. jdm e54a headlights stock 97 tails, interior trim pieces. [email protected]
    http://www.thegalantcenter.net/forum...211#post477211

That thing is huge O.o . Smaller housing.....maybe? I don't know about youre supporting mods or much about the turbo exactly, but based on the size alone I don't know how well this thing will spool.
    RIP
    1995 7G 4G64 / 63T DOHC Turbo
    Part Out Coming Soon

In search of 2G 3000GT VR4

Daily driving
    Dat '08 Cobalt Coupe

WarmAndSCSI
    Should be good if you plan to make upward of 400-500 WHP. I've seen GT-42R's on 4G63's before... the lag isn't too bad, either.

Would very much be possible on the 63 head, but I'm just confused as to what Garrett this is. :smt017

Usually they have more labelled on them.
    RIP
    Part Out Coming Soon

Daily driving
    Dat '08 Cobalt Coupe

WarmAndSCSI
    That's definitely a T4 hot side. Compressor kind of looks like a T3? Maybe somebody who made a T3/T4 hybrid decided to sell the assembled unused halves to you? A T4/T3 hybrid?

I really don't know, I'm not much of a turbo guy.

edit: okay, I think that 1.32 A/R turbine normally appears on a T04Z. The 0.50 A/R compressor is off a T3.

right now the motor is pretty stock, just a 64/63. but i do want to build it up nice. 550-600 whp will be great, thats where i am going to set my goal. plus awd.
    parting out my 7g project. 1g turbo head with gs cam gears, talon tsi front and rear brakes/5lug conversion. xtc 2g fwd clutch and pressure plate. complete 7g 5spped swap. jdm e54a headlights stock 97 tails, interior trim pieces. [email protected]

I've seen that turbo before. If I had to guess correctly it's a hybrid turbo. What co. did you get it from?? From ebay I mean?? Is it just oil pressured, or is it water cooled as well??

Car is sold, no more G.... Moved on to something a big more sporty.... lol

I'm curious to see what company this came from too. Has to be a rather large hybrid of some type. You can def handle 500-600 hp with the 63/64.

This turbo..though...stumped ..I can't find anything. :|
    RIP
    Part Out Coming Soon

Daily driving
    Dat '08 Cobalt Coupe

WarmAndSCSI
    I'm sorry man, but I've never seen that combination before. I'm not even sure it'll have decent spool characteristics. I've done some quick research, and, like I hypothesized before, it looks like somebody made a T3/T4 hybrid for their own use and then sold you the remaining T4/T3 combo...

That's a huge turbine for such a small compressor...

Quote Originally Posted by WarmAndSCSI
    I'm sorry man, but I've never seen that combination before. I'm not even sure it'll have decent spool characteristics. I've done some quick research, and, like I hypothesized before, it looks like somebody made a T3/T4 hybrid for their own use and then sold you the remaining T4/T3 combo...

That's a huge turbine for such a small compressor...
    Exactly my thoughts, that thing will take forever to spool up and by the time it does you will most likely be at the top of it's effective range.

How much did you end up paying for it if I may ask??

222whp/250wtq

You are here entirely tooo much!! Stewi's Avatar
    I'll tell you what that looks like to me....

A truck turbo.....

Really big hotside and small compressor side. They do this for big displacement motors that dont need high boost, but decent volume. I cant tell by the pics, but it looks ball bearing, If there are 4 ports on the center housing its typicaly ball bearing because its got one for oil feed and return and one for coolant feed and return, where as a majority of regular bearing turbos just have oil inlets and outlets.

That turbo isnt going to spool for crap on a 2.4 1.32 is way too big of a hotside. Even GT42R kits for EVO's use .93, .96 or 1.03 hotsides and on 2.3 motors they spool at like 5200RPMS, with that 1.32 hotside, you probably wont see 20-25psi until about 6,000RPMS. On a 2.4, your not revving more than 7500, so your powerband would SUCK! Sell that turbo.
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

got it from ebay for 217

its funny that stewi got to post that before i did. yeah man that which was said was quite accurate. the spool characteristics would not be beneficial to your build and would end up causing more anguish than pleasure. what you could do is find a compressor map for it and you (if you know how to read it) will be able to tell how it should perform. one option is that if it is a ball bearing center housing then you could make your own hybrid that would better suit your build and goals. use the center housing along with the compressor side and find out if you can get the ass end of a sc61 equivelant (gt35r) with no bigger than a .82 AR. .63 will spool well and that compressor should net you about 65lbs/ min depending on its true trim and housing specs. if you do make a hybrid then make certain to get it all rebalanced before making anything spin those blades.

i am going to sell the turbo. i had a few other people look at it, i guess its a truck turbo. this giys wants to buy it and told me its exactly what he has on his truck