The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Nitrous Oxide on 8g?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 72

Nitrous Oxide on 8g?

Hi, my name is Jake and i drive a 01 mitsu Galant es. I started doing alot of research into types of things i could do with my 8g. I'm kinda stuck right now because i use my galant as my daily driver... but i can always find ways around things inorder to get work done to it. I first started planning into boosting it with a 5 speed swap, or going with nitrous. After a few months of service i decided im going with nitrous because u very rarely see nitrous galants. So far i have my set up as:
    Intake: Injen Cold Air intake
    Headers: OBX stainless steel headers
    Cata: magna flow
    Muffler: Megan Drift Spec Catback
    Suspension: Eithier megan coilovers or skunk 2
    Struts: DC sport bars
    Hood/Trunk: CF stock oem hood, CF truck, stock wing
    Lights: aftermarket tail lights
    Already has 2x12" rockford p2s with 2x480 watt alephasonic amps "BUMPS"
    Rims: Axis Seven
    Tires: nitto nt 555rs
    NOS: NX direct port stage 1 kit
    NX access: bottle heater, pressure gauge, window switch, auto opener
    But i guess my question is what else would i need inorder to run my NX set up optuim on stock internals. I know i cant use 80-200shot caz that would just blow it all up. Im trying to shoot for a safe shot with out much work. I also have another question what guages would i need and controllers to run it? I have a stock 4g64 but i plan on doing mods listed. But would there be any other mods i would need prior to doing so? I know at this point in time you guys are prob saying to yourselfs " What a noob?" well the answer to that question is yes when it comes to NOS. I did lots of research and found out that the bottle has to stay at 160-200 degrees and psi in bottle cant exceed 1050psi or it will run to lean. Also 1 last quick question how would i know when to engage the nos for optium output?
    Thank You for your help! i will be looking forward to show answers to guide me in the right direction

WarmAndSCSI
    I'm pretty sure the nitrous will get you back the acceleration you lost with throwing all that extra weight in the back Remember, extra weight in the back makes the problem with FWD cars even worse.

Just in case you didn't know, nitrous isn't going to make your care "unique." It's probably the most common performance mod among all ricers who can afford more than a $15 fart can from AutoZone.

edit: I forgot to mention that you're going to have all kinds of fun blowing up your engine with a direct port nitrous setup without having any means of tuning...

You are here entirely tooo much!! Serstylz2's Avatar
    ^^ rude!! He's jus mad because his car won't run...

Anyway, I know you will need an EGT gauge to monitor the exhaust temperature when running Nitrous, and I believe you get EGT readings on the Emanage, not sure about the S-AFC, but you will need one of those as well to tune the car for proper performance. Also I believe you only spray at low rpms in 4th gear.. maybe 3rd? Dunnooo

WarmAndSCSI
    Quote Originally Posted by Serstylz2
    ^^ rude!! He's jus mad because his car won't run...

Anyway, I know you will need an EGT gauge to monitor the exhaust temperature when running Nitrous, and I believe you get EGT readings on the Emanage, not sure about the S-AFC, but you will need one of those as well to tune the car for proper performance. Also I believe you only spray at low rpms in 4th gear.. maybe 3rd? Dunnooo
    Don't come in here quasi-insulting me and then give false information to somebody who doesn't know any better.

edit: never mind that comment, please don't give information if you're not sure about its validity, ever. Not in this forum, not in any technically-oriented forum anywhere. Your comment concerning me has nothing to do with the OP's question.

The E-Manage has nothing to do with Exhaust Gas Temperature (EGT/Pyro) monitoring unless you use the auxiliary input to monitor it and then correlate the voltage to a meaningful reading in Excel. Not very useful. Same with the SAFC... nothing to do with EGT.

... you don't EVER spray at low RPM without some way of regulating the shot. Think about it - the nitrous shot is constant - you don't want to use the same volume at 2000 RPM as you do at 6000 RPM.

Plus, if you're using nitrous in 4TH GEAR on an automatic, you're PROBABLY not at the track in a controlled environment. You would be flying down the highway at around 115... Hell, stock Galants barely shift into third at the strip.

ok.... this really didnt answer any of my questions, but thank you for takeing your fustrations out on my thread..... anyways im new to the hole NOS scene and im not very sure on what to do inorder to run NOS the right way without running into problems. Thats what i made this thread for.... I have an auto tranny which it says on alot of sites thats its good to run nos on an auto tranny so thats why im sticking with it. Plus i dont have very deep pockets i work for everything i own and have. I OWE nothing and steal nothing, i work hard for all i have. I made this thread in hopes to get a response that would actually help me but as it looks i guess not... I guess ill try else were... but if there is anyone out there who maybe could run by me with a thread about Nitrous for dummies that would be great. I get were NOS come from and how it works, i would just like to know what i would need for a good system and everything included. I got a genral idea... But seince ive never used it before i have alot of questions thats why im addressing them so that way i can run it safely without blowing up my car. Thank for your input

WarmAndSCSI
    Quote Originally Posted by 716GalantES
    ok.... this really didnt answer any of my questions, but thank you for takeing your fustrations out on my thread..... anyways im new to the hole NOS scene and im not very sure on what to do inorder to run NOS the right way without running into problems. Thats what i made this thread for.... I have an auto tranny which it says on alot of sites thats its good to run nos on an auto tranny so thats why im sticking with it. Plus i dont have very deep pockets i work for everything i own and have. I OWE nothing and steal nothing, i work hard for all i have. I made this thread in hopes to get a response that would actually help me but as it looks i guess not... I guess ill try else were... but if there is anyone out there who maybe could run by me with a thread about Nitrous for dummies that would be great. I get were NOS come from and how it works, i would just like to know what i would need for a good system and everything included. I got a genral idea... But seince ive never used it before i have alot of questions thats why im addressing them so that way i can run it safely without blowing up my car. Thank for your input
    Dude, I gave you alot of good information in my posts. Read it again. A lot of that stuff is how a lot of people lose their engines running nitrous: spraying at low RPM, direct port nitrous without supporting mods, how to properly monitor EGT.

Have specific questions if you want specific answers. Do your homework beforehand. Don't expect handouts. Unless you want to be fed false information (no offense to anybody), you need to know the basics yourself. You do that by reading all you can about nitrous systems and THEN you ask intelligent questions that people can answer with tact.

BTW, you're not going to get any help around car forums calling nitrous "NOS" unless you really mean the brand of nitrous systems called Nitrous Oxide Systems (NOS).

People on here are so funny.

All I know is that ZEX is the best NOS system for our cars. A member down here in Miami was using that system and it worked flawlessly, spraying 75 shot SAFELY on an 8g.

WarmAndSCSI
    Quote Originally Posted by DNSerrano
    All I know is that ZEX is the best NOS system for our cars. A member down here in Miami was using that system and it worked flawlessly, spraying 75 shot SAFELY on an 8g.
    I really hope you're completely joking with this post. This guy came here for advice...

"ZEX is the best NOS system for our cars"?! WTF, seriously, WTF. NOS != nitrous. ZEX is DEFINITELY not equal to NOS. That's an oxymoron at its finest. Sorry, if you are going to try to have intelligent conversation about nitrous injection, ditch the out-of-context "NOS" teminology.

And, no ZEX is not the best "NOS" system for our cars. In fact, some people despise ZEX. Nitrous Express (NX) is also a very good option.

It's good to know that somebody was running a 75 shot safely, but are you talking 4G64, 6G72? Qualify your statements. Smaller displacement = smaller shot, as a rule of thumb. Lower end strength, head flow characteristics, and quench area are also of importance, but like I said, a general rule of thumb.

I have a "NOS" direct port in my toyota truck and im running a 100 shot. In regards to what you can do, to be safe, run a 50-60 shot if you dont plan on upgrading your fuel. In regards to engaging the Nitrous, i personally squeeze at 3000-3500 rpms WOT to redline. Im not familiar with the electronics for tuning the galant with nitrous, but in my truck, all i had was a EGT gauge, Jacobs ITC, and colder plugs. I dont know why everyone hates nitrous, If you use it responsibly, its a good power adder. At the end of the day, it all comes down to who hits the finish line 1st.
    02 Galant ES I4 ~ DD. JDM Kit/BBS LM Gold/D2/EvoRecaro/EGR/JL Audio/Eclipse Audio/Greddy/Injen/Project Kics/Brembos
    2010 Lexus IS350c Tungsten Pearl Mica/Volk GTM/H&R Springs/F sport intake/Project Kics/Lems Shift knob
    2010 Lexus IS-F Ultrasonic Blue/Volk TE37/HKS Hipermax IV GT/Ventross Kit/Lexon/JoezPerformance/Tom's/Project Kics/RR-racing tune
    2009 Acura TL w/Tech package A-spec Kit/ BBS LM/Tein

nitrous

guys, obv hes got his pantys in a bunch today.. im sorry i dont much about running "nitrous" but i asked this thread to find out. if you dont wanna answer fine.. but i deff understand u saying that some info ill get is wrong obv thats why its a thread i was expecting that, but i could short threw the bad and the good to find out what i need. asked a simple questions and left it at that such as " which gauges do i use?" and " is there any special controlers i would need?" i really dont see whats so hard with that.... But Nitrous on a 8g galant to me is VERY RARE! you never see galants made for nos. Thats what im trying to do. i understand also on stock internals its very risky to run any shot over 60. But thats why im useing this fourm to find out what i would need for a nice stock internal setup, along with what else i would need to run a proper set-up. As i said before i have done lots of research in the nitrous feild but theres nothing ever lised about galants and nitrous thats why i made this thread and asked these questions because its a site all about galants so i was hopeing for some solid answers so far its been 2/10 i would rate respones from this thread in how well its helped about what ive asked! once again thank you for input

WarmAndSCSI
    Quote Originally Posted by dronesurfboards
    I have a "NOS" direct port in my toyota truck and im running a 100 shot. In regards to what you can do, to be safe, run a 50-60 shot if you dont plan on upgrading your fuel. In regards to engaging the Nitrous, i personally squeeze at 3000-3500 rpms WOT to redline. Im not familiar with the electronics for tuning the galant with nitrous, but in my truck, all i had was a EGT gauge, Jacobs ITC, and colder plugs. I dont know why everyone hates nitrous, If you use it responsibly, its a good power adder. At the end of the day, it all comes down to who hits the finish line 1st.
    Good info. Thanks.

I, personally, don't run and never have run nitrous, but I know the dos-and-don'ts.

Another thing you might consider is a window switch, so you don't spray in an unsafe RPM range (too low).

Colder plugs are good tip, but you'll lose steetability if they are too cold (I run an 8 range and they are too cold for a good idle, but I compensate with a hotter spark - MSD ignition). Try one step colder at an NGK "6" range. BKR6ES or BKR6E (the difference is the V-Power grooved center electrode design and the optional -11 at the end will start you at a 0.044" gap) gapped to 0.038" would be a good choice - that's slightly smaller than the stock gap and one heat range colder.

WarmAndSCSI
    What on Earth are you creating another thread for!? :?

Go read your other thread - there's a bunch of people in there trying to contribute. I'm sick of your attitude - learn to take criticism with your help. You're going to be treated like a noob whenever you are around die-hard gearheads.

And nitrous on any car is not "very rare." No car is "made for NOS," either.

WarmAndSCSI
    Okay, I'm going to give what I think is the best advice of the night: go over to club3g.com and read over there on nitrous applications for the GS/RS 4G64. That is the IDENTICAL engine to yours.

The way you're bitching and moaning about not getting the answers you want is not going to help you around here.

very tru! thats why im trying to run a nitrous kit but fully build my 01 around it. my overall goal is to run 100shot and make 300whp. im deff going with NX as my kit. im getting all the fixings with it to such as bottle warmer,pressure gauge, bottle opner and a plurge kit. But i guess in genral what i was trying to ask is what im modding 2 is it capable of running 100shot on stock internals on a 4g64? I got an auto tranny which is good for nitrous and im obv ganna get it tuned and installed at a nitrous proffesional shop along with tuneing it properly. Another quick question i had is when on then 01 is is WOT? thats key when spraying. Im prob ganna run the system were it activates at a certin rpm and shuts off before redline. im hopeing in all the system will work out well. Im also going this route because i pay for everything i own and its my daily driver. So theres not meny options there. Like i said any input on what i would need as far as the system goes all the way down to what guages and controllers i would need? another thing thats been bothering me is that a few months ago super street ran an issue on all new tech thats coming out and in there it had a controller deadicated to running nos in stages safely is that really worth it? and if so could i use it? anyways people keep it coming ill keep you posted on what goes on.

WarmAndSCSI
    The 100 shot is safe if you have the supporting fuel mods - Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator (AFPR), high-flow, high-pressure fuel pump (Walbro 255 L/h is a good choice), and, in my opinion, some way to retard timing. Remember, 100 WHP on top of your stock ~120 WHP is a HUGE increase - 83%!

Yes, you can do this on stock internals, but I really don't recomend it. Too much can go wrong in the blink of an eye. All of the nitrous system goodies/failsafes will make it nearly bullet-proof, however.

The automatic tranny is only good for nitrous because A) you can spray in first without massive wheel spin B) related, you have longer gears so you can stay on the nitrous for longer C) you can stay on the nitrous between shifts because you're not letting off. You can spray through redline on an automatic.

The downside to the automatic is that it simply cannot hold much power - it's even weaker than the F4A51 in the V6 model, which doesn't hold power worth a CRAP. You will shatter the pump and burn up your clutch packs much quicker if you like using the nitrous.

The window system, like I said before, is an awesome idea.

Staged NOS is really good for turbo cars that need more nitrous down low (I mean relatively low, not idle) to help spool the turbo and high HP cars that need more traction in lower gears. That's my understanding at least.

Gauges: you'll probably want a REAL wideband AF/R gauge like an AEM gauge-type UEGO, an EGT gauge, fuel pressure gauge, and nitrous pressure gauge. The first is the most critical, IMO. If you run lean, your engine is gone. End of story.

im deff doing a window switch without a dout!!!! its the safest and most relaibe upgrade for nitrous. fuel pump and AFPR i read before is deff needed with a 80+ shot. My goal is to use my car for 1/4 drags on the weekend. And in my sitsuation its my dialy driver so its the cheapest and least amount of time ill be without it to do it. but i belive with the mods i mentoned before with 100 shot to back it up it will deff hold its own aginst them damn V-Tecs . im prob ganna get ride of my system along with gut anything and everyhting in my car to reduce weight which is huge in the quarter. But i belive it will deff hold its own and thank you for all your input so far keep it coming its deff helping alot.

WarmAndSCSI
    Quote Originally Posted by 716GalantES
    im deff doing a window switch without a dout!!!! its the safest and most relaibe upgrade for nitrous. fuel pump and AFPR i read before is deff needed with a 80+ shot. My goal is to use my car for 1/4 drags on the weekend. And in my sitsuation its my dialy driver so its the cheapest and least amount of time ill be without it to do it. but i belive with the mods i mentoned before with 100 shot to back it up it will deff hold its own aginst them damn V-Tecs . im prob ganna get ride of my system along with gut anything and everyhting in my car to reduce weight which is huge in the quarter. But i belive it will deff hold its own and thank you for all your input so far keep it coming its deff helping alot.
    Nitrous is the most cost effective way so long as you're smart about it.

Don't get rid of your system alltogether (that's what I did :() Just pull it out on drag weekends.

There's a lot on the technical side of running a big shot of nitrous. Get ready for a bunch of relay wiring and tuning if you plan to be successful.

Please go read over on Club3G - they're going to know a LOT more than I do about nitrous. Anybody who knows forced induction in general can help you out with the fuel mods and tuning, though.

About adding nitrous to your engine...youre really looking into it too much. My system was simple. You really dont need a purge kit, bottle warmer, etc. I used a towel and stuffed it in bazooka tube case when i ran on the street. having those extras dont really help you gain horsepower. If youre looking to running a 100 shot in a reliable way and actually having useable horsepower, drop the auto tranny immediately since from what i hear cant hold much hp, run a more aggressive cam with higher lift and duration, port your head, bottom end should be okay cuz everyone says the 4g64 shares the same bottom end as the Evo, Run a slightly larger fuel pump just like scsi said, 1 step colder ngk plugs and a better ignition system. I dont know if MSD ignition would work on our system since my truck ignition is different than the galant. All the little extras are just that....extras, if youre thinking about all the little things...then youre not ready for nitrous. Ive ran my 4 fogger reliably since 96. besides a blown head gasket and burnt clutch...my truck runs fine. Ive squeezed 100 shot through 1st to 4th gear, and 4th and 5th gear to be honest...you wont feel the extra hp at all.
    02 Galant ES I4 ~ DD. JDM Kit/BBS LM Gold/D2/EvoRecaro/EGR/JL Audio/Eclipse Audio/Greddy/Injen/Project Kics/Brembos
    2010 Lexus IS350c Tungsten Pearl Mica/Volk GTM/H&R Springs/F sport intake/Project Kics/Lems Shift knob
    2010 Lexus IS-F Ultrasonic Blue/Volk TE37/HKS Hipermax IV GT/Ventross Kit/Lexon/JoezPerformance/Tom's/Project Kics/RR-racing tune
    2009 Acura TL w/Tech package A-spec Kit/ BBS LM/Tein

WarmAndSCSI
    The MSD system wouldn't be necessary on the 4G64 - the 2 coil setup is MORE than adequate. I was just talking about my distributor-based V6 setup.

The other stuff (purge, warmer) is nice if you want a consistent nitrous setup at the track, but not necessary at all.

The bottom end is similar to the Evo, but obviously not the same. Your pistons aren't as strong and have ring end gaps set for N/A not FI. A 100 shot is pushing it on the stock ring gaps, but you'll be safe with a conservative tune and proper fail-safes. The crank and rods are plenty strong for what you want to do, though.

Running cams with your nitrous setup may be a little bit out of your league right now. That's just more tuning and more lean air flowing through your engine if something goes wrong with your fuel system.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast