The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: N/A Max Power

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 108

N/A Max Power

How many horses can you get out of the four banger galant, without a turbo. I know you can get a diffrent air intake, and a cat back, but with all that plus some other thingsa you could do how much horses can you actually get. Is it cost beneficial? or are you better of saving up for a v6?

WarmAndSCSI
    If you want N/A power, don't look for it in an inline 4 that can only safely rev to 6500 RPM.

You won't make virtually any difference without dropping some serious bank on your engine. Also you can't just drop a V6 into an I4 Galant... Search is your friend.

222whp/250wtq

WarmAndSCSI
    Quote Originally Posted by laxinwarrior
    You won't make virtually any difference without dropping some serious bank on your engine. Also you can't just drop a V6 into an I4 Galant... Search is your friend.
    You can with a new subframe

edit: and ECU.

edit2: and wiring harness.

edit3: and new exhaust downpipe.

edit4: and lots of money.

Honestly, people usually stay with N/A because they are intimidated by boost. There's nothing wrong with a turbocharger setup, it's not a cop out. They're used in stock cars all the way to WRC rally cars.

here i am about to say this.... the 4g series motors can be impressive NA.... if they are in a car that is only 2000lbs and has over 20k invested into the motor. there is a guy that runs a NA 1st gen dsm with a 4g63 and runs 12s all day but it is not a natural motor by any means. drag money equals drag car....sometimes. go boost man. there is a lot more support and a lot more potential. i mean really how will you feel after your build and are finally done but are still getting your ass handed to you by stock cars? do the right thing and go boost.

So whats the consensus for safe boost on a stock 4G64 bout 8-10 psi.

Quote Originally Posted by galant3jl12's
    Did you read the title of this thread?

And it all depends on the tune, I have boosted 12 and 15 psi on a stock 64 with no problems whatsoever.

222whp/250wtq

WarmAndSCSI
    Hi, you must have mistaken this thread for the "post whatever the fuck you feel like posting here" thread. :D

You are here entirely tooo much!! Jeffylou87's Avatar
    lol.. Hey warm.. you think i can borrow your engine for a while?

WarmAndSCSI
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffylou87
    lol.. Hey warm.. you think i can borrow your engine for a while?
    Ummm, nope. It's going back together this week and it'll soon be tearing up the highways again.

I hope you realize that if you do just an air intake, and exhaust, you wont get a whole lot of more power... if any. Besides, pretty much the only thing you can do with your exhaust is to increase the width of the exhasut... but without being turbocharged, you will lose a lot of torque. Doing an intake doesnt give you a whole lot of horsepower either, if any. A couple things you might wanna look into doing would be to bore and stroke the engine, get bigger cams, and change out the ECU. But ya, search around and you will find out information. When you look, look at what other people have done to other cars to increase horsepower to give you an idea. Because usually if something works on another car, it would probably work on yours.
    A ricer is someone who believes that lights, stickers, useless parts, stupid driving and any other abnormal or dangerous driving habits help them in their need for speed or attention.

WarmAndSCSI
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwikfox
    Besides, pretty much the only thing you can do with your exhaust is to increase the width of the exhasut... but without being turbocharged, you will lose a lot of torque.
    Not true, unless you mean just a few ft-lb. Now if he throws a 4" diesel exhaust on it, what you say might hold true.

yep thats why my NA exhaust will end up a 3" all the way back.

You are here entirely tooo much!! RAZ_76's Avatar
    Or get a 5spd swap in there first and then do an evo head swap and a 16 to 21 lb turbo and that will feel really good. Lots of work to get that 21lb Turbo but I have seen it done on 4g64 motor.

WarmAndSCSI
    Quote Originally Posted by GALANTOWNER
    Or get a 5spd swap in there first and then do an evo head swap and a 16 to 21 lb turbo and that will feel really good. Lots of work to get that 21lb Turbo but I have seen it done on 4g64 motor.
    16 or 21 lb turbo? Do you have any idea how stupid you sound?

16 lb or 21 lb refers to boost pressure in PSI, not the size or type or anything of a turbo. Did you possibly mean a 16G turbo?

Quote Originally Posted by WarmAndSCSI
    WTF is up with that comment, I realize you think you know everything about every generation of the G, but you dont have to be an asshole about it. That comment was very uncalled for. You need to stop going around and insulting people like that, you have insulted, or was a smart ass to "GALANTOWNER" and "Racesnos" that I know of. There is no need on this site to be a smart ass, or a prick.
    A ricer is someone who believes that lights, stickers, useless parts, stupid driving and any other abnormal or dangerous driving habits help them in their need for speed or attention.

Quote Originally Posted by laxinwarrior
    Did you read the title of this thread?

And it all depends on the tune, I have boosted 12 and 15 psi on a stock 64 with no problems whatsoever.
    Ya I read the title pal. But those other guys Warm and boostzealot w/ the high hp galants came in talking about boosting seemed like thread was going to shift to that and having read their other threads and posts while they're not very friendly and a little condescending they are very knowledgable.

It is good though to hear about your cars setup laxinwarrior.

WarmAndSCSI
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwikfox
    Quote Originally Posted by WarmAndSCSI
    WTF is up with that comment, I realize you think you know everything about every generation of the G, but you dont have to be an asshole about it. That comment was very uncalled for. You need to stop going around and insulting people like that, you have insulted, or was a smart ass to "GALANTOWNER" and "Racesnos" that I know of. There is no need on this site to be a smart ass, or a prick.
    Would you rather people ran around rampantly spouting off BS like this confusing people who are about to drop cash on their cars? I'll be sure to just ignore any PMs from you and others who want advice or questions answered in the future. People are too easily offended - get OVER it.

I could see you being upset if I said he sounded stupid without explaining why, but I took the time to qualify that statement. And note the wording - I said he sounded stupid by saying that, not that he is actually stupid. Again, what is so offensive about that?

edit: And where in the world do you get the idea that I think I know everything about every generation of Galant? I hardly ever give any advice about 6G's or 7G's unless I have a solid answer or personal experience (which I don't having never worked on either generation). That seems like a personal attack more than anything. Which I'm fine with, but definitely try harder next time. For example, "who thinks he knows everything about the 6G72 platform." Which would be a lot more accurate - find me somebody on this board who knows as much as I do about the V6 Galant/Eclipse GT/GTS engines and tuning thereof and I'll be very impressed.

edit2: and even then, I can think of at least one guy who knows his way around the 6G72, even founded most of his own business on that particular platform. He's not a frequent poster, but I admit he's pretty damn smart.

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    Maybe he meant 16 - 21lb/min.

Thats a small turbo :mrgreen:
    7g for life!

WarmAndSCSI
    Quote Originally Posted by seth98esT
    Maybe he meant 16 - 21lb/min.

Thats a small turbo :mrgreen:
    Na, I think people should just start being more accurate when giving engine/turbo/FI advice in general. It's not like he made that up himself, somebody else used that strange nomenclature and he picked it up.

edit: I guess he could have really been talking about the weight of the turbo... Maybe...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast