The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: She is Alive !

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
Showing results 21 to 40 of 248
    TGC Regular
    yea, its on the opposite side of the cam shaft. so its called the crank angle sensor ? this is the little metal thing that bolts to the cam, that the camshaft posistioning sensor reads from, it was like. This... CLANK

TGC Regular
    the actual service manual i have refers to it as a Camshaft posion sensing cylinder... But no parts stores knows what im talkin about, i need to find that part. It is right under the Camshaft posision sensor, this is the metal thing the maganateic sensor reads from.

WarmAndSCSI
    Ummm, that's for the Cam Angle Sensor, but you said "Crank Snexor Sensing Cylinder." Let me get a part number for you... one minute.

edit: no part store is going to know what you're talking about except the dealership.

edit2: MD346813 superseded by MD374910. $14.62 MSRP

TGC Regular
    damn dude, you fuckin rock. Your my idol ;) I wonder if they have them in the parts store, ill call here when they open :) see if i cant go get one, i dont know if it would work. But a friend came into the store yesterday. he has a 2.4 L 1997 Eclipse. ( parts one ) that has a untouched head, Im not sure if this model was ran with a distributor or not, like 1997 galants. If so, then i dont think it will have oone. Sorry i miss typed, i meant to say.
    Camshaft posistioning Sending Cylinder, Ex Part #15 under generator and ignition systems, but it sounds like you already found the part ;) Thanks alot man, i wish i knew where you got all your info from :) but you own ! thanks for bieng a member of TGC :)

WarmAndSCSI
    np, I find all that in the Mitsu CAPS part lookup app. I created a thread with links a while back - just search for Mitsubishi CAPS.

BTW, your part store is not going to have that, it's a Mitsu part number. You WILL have to go to the dealer.

TGC Regular
    i wonder if maybe they would have one on hand . Prolly not, would have to order it with my luck. They open in 22 minutes :)

TGC Regular
    Just for double verification, that is

MD374910

That i need correct ?

The Camshaft Cylinder ?

And thats the little thinggy i pictured that the camshaft positioning sensor reads from correct ?

And thats for the 1999 Galant 2.4 ? :) Just wanna make sure its what i need, i cant bring up a picture or anything, but i can have it here tomarrow morning. Time to call a few wrecking yards first.

TGC Regular
    im just glad there is no metal shavings that got into my oil at all. and the fact it didnt tear up the sensor, or worse yet. Tear off the whole sensor cover ! Definatly a trophy for my shelf.

WarmAndSCSI
    Yes, that's the right part. The dealership isn't going to have it on hand, but they can overnight it for you.

TGC Regular
    thanks hella for the help man. hehe, its sweet to know peeps :)

Btw . My compression checked out as followes. Thank you Digital snap-on :)

Psi.

Cylinder 1 : 175.1
    cylinder 2 : 174.9
    Cylinder 3 : 152.7
    Cylinder 4 : 175.3

Im not really sure to how this is affected. Or what lol. But this is what my compression checked out at.
    For some reason cylinder 3 was in its 150's

You are here entirely tooo much!! Stewi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eclipse97526
    thanks hella for the help man. hehe, its sweet to know peeps :)

Btw . My compression checked out as followes. Thank you Digital snap-on :)

Psi.

Cylinder 1 : 175.1
    cylinder 2 : 174.9
    Cylinder 3 : 152.7
    Cylinder 4 : 175.3

Im not really sure to how this is affected. Or what lol. But this is what my compression checked out at.
    For some reason cylinder 3 was in its 150's
    pour a cap full of engine oil into the #3 cylinder and do the compression test again, if i goes up to more than 160 you most likely have a bad ring seal in that cylinder.
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

TGC Regular
    wow really, pour a cap full like in threw the spark plug cylinder ? then compression test that cylinder ? what should it pressure check out at if its good ? with oil in it, I will consider this after i have my mitsu friend come over and fix my timing and see what he thinks.

WarmAndSCSI
    Quote Originally Posted by Eclipse97526
    wow really, pour a cap full like in threw the spark plug cylinder ? then compression test that cylinder ? what should it pressure check out at if its good ? with oil in it, I will consider this after i have my mitsu friend come over and fix my timing and see what he thinks.
    If the compression rises after letting the oil sit for a few minutes, you've got a ring sealing issue. If it stays the same, your rings are fine.

TGC Regular
    hehe, i would test this, but im just going to wait for my friend Who has built many many 2.4 mitsu motors, coming to town tonight. I went out and had my friend at the steel shop mod that cylinder thing back to its regular place ;)

i turned the key over real fast, before trying to start it. It putterd and choked. The timing is off. My friend who mainly works on 4g63 motors , set the timing for me, cause he had " done it so many times it was easy " but yea. I jacked the car up took all the shit off, looked at the belt. I dont know whats going on, but there were 3 of 5 bolts holding on the timing cover. The cam and the crank lined up on time. But after i took the cover off, the oil pump timing mark was 60 degrees to the left... Im guessing this would be the cause of my problem. every other timing mark looked good besides the oil pump one. It may have slipped off when the cam sensing cylinder hit the sensor cover. But he said " oh, well it was dark i coulda put it on wrong..... " So i dont know, Would that keep my engine from firing ? and chokin and makin the cam back up ? Sounds like it i turned it over, it would just backfire like a SOB

TGC Regular
    oh yea, did i mention a valve cover bolt was missing ? and the holes didnt even line up, they were all outta wack man, i shoulda done everything myself. i did The head work and the machinist said it was good, so good he didnt even charge me and told me i should open up my own shop lol.

execpt my friend used the sensor cylinder side of the cam to tourqe the camshaft down to spec, i dont think he should touch my car again. i nearly cried when i went out there, and saw what they had done. lol. I rebuilt the head myself. And i wasnt watching over like i should . while rob was sdoing the timing, i was putting back on the headers, and andrew was doin the valve cover. Well.

#1 the valve cover wasnt on, Timing is off 1/3 of a tooth . about 2mm
    #2 the oil timing mark is 60 degrees to the left ? or maybe 300 degrees to the right ? either way, my car was backfiring, and im having a real professional come out and finish this easy shit up, so its done right.

off the note, i noticed a little bit of oil down in my timing belt area... This cause the oil pump was off time maybe ?

WarmAndSCSI
    If you're making 170 PSI on those cylinders, your timing is not off.

TGC Regular
    Well when i pulled the timing cover, the oil pump timing was way off... Any way a balancing shaft got hashed or something??? God i hope not.

I noticed that now, my screwdriver goes into that plug hole even when the oil pump is not on time, when its 180 degrees off, it can be inserted. if its a litle off timing, the hole is blocked basicly, ( can only insert an inch or 2 ) but if its on, i can go all the way in, and if its 180 Off i can go in the same as if its on.... but if i turn it back on time again, it is blocked. So i said screw the plug. even thought i know there is a 360 degree point where it can be inserted, and a 360 degree point where it cannot be inserted. i figured it the shaft was not directly perfect, nothing could be inserted into the hole.... I may be wrong, but i thought thats how that shaft worked.

And did it steweis way. It seems it does want to roll either left or right when i point the timing mark on the oil pump directly up, and let go of it. one way it goes a good way right ( away from the timing mark, and if i turn it 360 degrees up again, and let go, it barely rolls ( left ) towards the timing mark. Notice it does not roll as far towards the timing mark as it rolls when it goes away. i spin the shaft fast, it dont feel like its loose or knocking around...

kevin will be able to tell tonight, for sure, what ever is wrong, he can fix it, or at least tell me whats wrong if its real time consuiming.

TGC Regular
    keep in mind, this car was running for 30 seconds, till the camshaft sensing cylinder taged the cam angle sensor . well the little area around it, barely scratched the sensor. then started up and ran for about 5 seconds, and died. with no clank, kinda went all vibraty dead, prolly cause at this time the oil shaft, and balanching shaft were knocked back a few teeth.

WarmAndSCSI
    Okay, I admit I don't know much about balance shafts, but would the balance shaft being off keep the engine from starting?

Any time your timing belt jumps, you should replace it. The teeth that jumped are now compromised.

TGC Regular
    Well its basicly 2 10 lb heavy shafts that run threw your engine. And ones on the intake side , ones on the exaust side. they coutner balance the weight out running in opposite directions, supposed to make it smoother if properly timed, also robs horsepower but... I mean, if it were broken, or disconnected, i would know buy when i turned it over, I mean, it woulda clankin and be hitting around in there either way, if the bearing was gone or what not. at least i think it would , its a huge shaft, But it seems more of wanting to backfire, like chugging, and almsot dying trying to start, then it like slowly turned past that point, Turned over again, kinda backfired, and chugged, lights went out like battery was dying car stoped trying to start for about half a second, turned over again, coughing, and backfired, and stalled out again, not turning over enuf to fire, if it were on time, but due to it backfiring, ( this is while holding the key down and all plugs in, ( before i took off timing cover and saw balancing shafts are not timed for a damn... Also i heard a Mechanical beep, come from the engine compartment, i heard it twice, im sure it was a Beeeeeeeeepppp. Definatly coming from the engine, Wierd... Whats that mean ? lmfao.... Saying, HEY TIMING IS OFF ? maybe ill ask the dealership ?

i would think its just completly off timing, I mean, if the shafts are off, they would be swinging together, making your engine shake ALOT more. ( like a rubber eraser on a eletric motor not centered ) and possibly yes, making it harder to get that first inital crank past its point to build up enuf compression to keep the motor going. so i would think if it were off, it could very well have a big factor on the car starting, seeing as how its going to be like trying to balance its self the same directions, which dont balance well. Just makes seicne to me, i cant figure anything else, cause i got fuel, i have spark. There was compression cause the crank and the cam were on time together, so they were making 170 lbs pressure, 150 in one, but it should still run reguardless. But it took 3 engine turns to make it up to 170 PSI . 2 was around 150 which should start no prob. if it could make it past the first inital crank, it would start... but its off timing, or something, either way, its backfiring, and getting fuel and spark. and holding PSI.

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast