The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: V6 Twin Turbo Setup

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 51

V6 Twin Turbo Setup

I know that there is alot of controversy and bad comments that come out of people's mouth when there is talk about a twin turbo setup on a Galant. If I did a 6G72 swap on my I4 and wanted a twin turbo kit, could I get it to run effeciently? Most people prefer the EVO swap with 270 horsepower, but I would rather be unique.

WarmAndSCSI
    First off, doing a 6G72 swap is really quite a waste of money. It's going to cost more in parts and labor than a new V6 Galant.

You'll have to custom fab a twin turbo kit including exhaust, intake, oil piping. I estimate around $20k to do all of this and to do it right.

You are here entirely tooo much!! fatal1's Avatar
    there was one guy who tried to do it i believe he used the stock turbos from a 3kgtvr4 not possitive as i havent seen the thread in a while...but i do remember he got it running but it never really worked great...look on club 3g for the thread it is from a while ago

as far as the i4 to v6 swap it is way too much money to fab everything up and swap over what is needed.....the full evo swap or head swap does open a lot of possibilities and you can easilly make a lot of power

WarmAndSCSI
    Yes, but you can't use the manifolds from a 3000GT. The DOHC exhaust ports are oval whereas ours are round. I'm not sure about the bolt pattern, though.

Quote Originally Posted by WarmAndSCSI
    Yes, but you can't use the manifolds from a 3000GT. The DOHC exhaust ports are oval whereas ours are round. I'm not sure about the bolt pattern, though.
    Just a quick question about that, would swapping the heads from the VR4 to the Galant 6g72 be possible? I know they are a different orientation, but can't you use the front cylinder head for the back and vice versa? That got me thinking there for a second, then do a similar setup with the twin turbos. Maybe the engine bay might be too small for the dohc swap to be achievable. If i only had a V6 to find out. Anyway you might have come across this question before I believe when trying to get the most power out of your V6...

i dont understand how the swap could be so hard, arent all the mounts in the same place?
    RIP GALANT, GOOD MORNING BMW 330i

330i ZSP (E90) - S4 (B5) / hellaflush

WarmAndSCSI
    No... the subframe/crossmember and front roll stopper support are entirely different.

WarmAndSCSI
    Quote Originally Posted by DNSerrano
    Just a quick question about that, would swapping the heads from the VR4 to the Galant 6g72 be possible? I know they are a different orientation, but can't you use the front cylinder head for the back and vice versa? That got me thinking there for a second, then do a similar setup with the twin turbos. Maybe the engine bay might be too small for the dohc swap to be achievable. If i only had a V6 to find out. Anyway you might have come across this question before I believe when trying to get the most power out of your V6...
    That's fine and dandy but the water pipe inlet would be toward the back of the engine bay, and then you'd have to convert to DIS because there would be nothing to drive the distributor off of. There are a few more issues, both those are two of the more obvious ones.

It's known that there's not enough clearance in the engine bay of the 3G Eclipse for this, but I suspect there is enough with the Galant.

if you want to do a v6 swap, you might want to consider buying a v6. maybe even getting one that has a blown motor for cheap and then just drop a built motor into that. do your turbo etc etc.

a swap like that isn't gonna be one of those weekend jobs and since you'll still have your 4 cyl still running, you'll still have a car to drive around in the meantime.

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

Experienced TGC Member 6G72gearhead's Avatar
    Getting an excessive acceleration ticket.

That's fine and dandy but the water pipe inlet would be toward the back of the engine bay, and then you'd have to convert to DIS because there would be nothing to drive the distributor off of. There are a few more issues, both those are two of the more obvious ones.

It's known that there's not enough clearance in the engine bay of the 3G Eclipse for this, but I suspect there is enough with the Galant.
    What else is different about the Dohc heads, I know there is enough room for the heads in the galant engine bay, the intake mani may be a problem. To run the coil packs you would need to run a standalone since I highly doubt its going to be possible to hook up the coil packs to our computer thats designed for a distributor. The water inlet wouldnt be much of a problem, a small amount of welding and cutting would probably suffice.
    RIP: Colin McRae, you will be missed.
    "I shall go before thee and make the crooked places straight."

2001 ES V6 M/T under construction
    1991 Volvo 244ti 300 whp daily driver
    www.gooichimotorsports.com

WarmAndSCSI
    Quote Originally Posted by 6G72gearhead

What else is different about the Dohc heads, I know there is enough room for the heads in the galant engine bay, the intake mani may be a problem. To run the coil packs you would need to run a standalone since I highly doubt its going to be possible to hook up the coil packs to our computer thats designed for a distributor. The water inlet wouldnt be much of a problem, a small amount of welding and cutting would probably suffice.
    The coil pack setup could be adapted with an E-Manage Ultimate - it supports splitting the ignition trigger signal into up to 6 channels. You just need the power transistor/coil assembly out of a 3000GT VR-4 or 3 power transistors of your own and an MSD DIS-4 setup.

Quote Originally Posted by pinoyesv6
    if you want to do a v6 swap, you might want to consider buying a v6. maybe even getting one that has a blown motor for cheap and then just drop a built motor into that. do your turbo etc etc.

a swap like that isn't gonna be one of those weekend jobs and since you'll still have your 4 cyl still running, you'll still have a car to drive around in the meantime.
    That is what I was going to do. My other car is totaled and will be rebuilt when I start taking "shop" class at FTCC. The hard part is going to be finding a V6 from a Galant in my area.

give it up kid

Quote Originally Posted by fatal1
    there was one guy who tried to do it i believe he used the stock turbos from a 3kgtvr4 not possitive as i havent seen the thread in a while...but i do remember he got it running but it never really worked great...look on club 3g for the thread it is from a while ago
    If you are thinkig of Jbasol, actually his setup worked out just fine. As the matter of fact, he proved everyone wrong and run(s) a fairly high boost on a stock, high mileage engine without blowing it. Than again, that guy knows what he's doing...

Yepp, he used the Vr4 exh. manis, but welded on his own flanges

WarmAndSCSI
    Quote Originally Posted by gtx
    Welding cast iron? Leave that to a machine shop :shock:

You are here entirely tooo much!! Stewi's Avatar
    LOL

Welding cast anything is a PITA.

Hey Warm, I was looking at a 05 Kia Optima V6 today, and I saw on the engine cover it said DOHC 24v, has anyone tried using those heads for the swap, or even swapping that entire motor in? I dont know the performance value of the extra cam in an FI application, the cost versus performance gain might be way off, but im just speculating.
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

so how about a official 8g VR-4 twin turbo engine swap? would it fit without to many headaches?

WarmAndSCSI
    Quote Originally Posted by Stewi
    LOL

Welding cast anything is a PITA.

Hey Warm, I was looking at a 05 Kia Optima V6 today, and I saw on the engine cover it said DOHC 24v, has anyone tried using those heads for the swap, or even swapping that entire motor in? I dont know the performance value of the extra cam in an FI application, the cost versus performance gain might be way off, but im just speculating.
    Na, I think that's the same 2.7L as in the Tiburon. Not compatible, sadly.

there is a local wrecking yard that specalizes in hyundai/kia cars they have a ton of motors out in the shop area if you guys need some pictures of stuff i can grab some... thats where i got my sonata engine from
    Brandon - 2001 Galant GST 5speed
    Wiseco // Eagle // PTE // Holset // Turbonetics // Supertech // Blox // Prosport // Vibrant // Innovate // OpenEcu // Mishimoto // Magnaflow // Walbro // XXR // Rotora // Brembo // Hawk // R1 Concepts // Dc Sports

here is a picture of the dohc engine in a tiburon the passenger side mount looks like it might give you some trouble but that eaton supercharger looks sweet

Brandon - 2001 Galant GST 5speed
    Wiseco // Eagle // PTE // Holset // Turbonetics // Supertech // Blox // Prosport // Vibrant // Innovate // OpenEcu // Mishimoto // Magnaflow // Walbro // XXR // Rotora // Brembo // Hawk // R1 Concepts // Dc Sports

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast