The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: V6 Twin Turbo Setup

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Showing results 21 to 40 of 51
    You are here entirely tooo much!! Stewi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by underated
    here is a picture of the dohc engine in a tiburon the passenger side mount looks like it might give you some trouble but that eaton supercharger looks sweet

Hott

The Kia I saw, the passenger side mount didnt look like that, it looks just like my 8g mount.
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

You are here entirely tooo much!! fatal1's Avatar
    [quote="gtx"]
    Quote Originally Posted by fatal1
    there was one guy who tried to do it i believe he used the stock turbos from a 3kgtvr4 not possitive as i havent seen the thread in a while...but i do remember he got it running but it never really worked great...look on club 3g for the thread it is from a while ago
    If you are thinkig of Jbasol, actually his setup worked out just fine. As the matter of fact, he proved everyone wrong and run(s) a fairly high boost on a stock, high mileage engine without blowing it. Than again, that guy knows what he's doing...

did he? awesome... i havent checked that thread in a long time i may have to read up a bit then..... didnt know he ever got it running smoothly...last i read he had it up and running but was hveing some problems...and was looking to sell it

havent heard anything really since then

Quote Originally Posted by Stewi
    here is a picture of the dohc engine in a tiburon the passenger side mount looks like it might give you some trouble but that eaton supercharger looks sweet

Hott

The Kia I saw, the passenger side mount didnt look like that, it looks just like my 8g mount.
    i just did a little more checking and the tiburon is a 2.7L v6
    Brandon - 2001 Galant GST 5speed
    Wiseco // Eagle // PTE // Holset // Turbonetics // Supertech // Blox // Prosport // Vibrant // Innovate // OpenEcu // Mishimoto // Magnaflow // Walbro // XXR // Rotora // Brembo // Hawk // R1 Concepts // Dc Sports

Quote Originally Posted by fatal1
    did he? awesome... i havent checked that thread in a long time i may have to read up a bit then..... didnt know he ever got it running smoothly...last i read he had it up and running but was hveing some problems...and was looking to sell it

havent heard anything really since then
    Yeah, he was back some months ago on Club3G, and said he decided to keep the Eclipse and build it up/take it further. But who knows what happened since?

WarmAndSCSI
    Quote Originally Posted by Stewi

Hott

i just did a little more checking and the tiburon is a 2.7L v6
    Didn't I already say that ^^^

Experienced TGC Member 6G72gearhead's Avatar
    Getting an excessive acceleration ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by WarmAndSCSI
    Quote Originally Posted by 6G72gearhead
    Quote Originally Posted by DNSerrano
    Yes, but you can't use the manifolds from a 3000GT. The DOHC exhaust ports are oval whereas ours are round. I'm not sure about the bolt pattern, though.
    Just a quick question about that, would swapping the heads from the VR4 to the Galant 6g72 be possible? I know they are a different orientation, but can't you use the front cylinder head for the back and vice versa? That got me thinking there for a second, then do a similar setup with the twin turbos. Maybe the engine bay might be too small for the dohc swap to be achievable. If i only had a V6 to find out. Anyway you might have come across this question before I believe when trying to get the most power out of your V6...
    That's fine and dandy but the water pipe inlet would be toward the back of the engine bay, and then you'd have to convert to DIS because there would be nothing to drive the distributor off of. There are a few more issues, both those are two of the more obvious ones.

It's known that there's not enough clearance in the engine bay of the 3G Eclipse for this, but I suspect there is enough with the Galant.
    What else is different about the Dohc heads, I know there is enough room for the heads in the galant engine bay, the intake mani may be a problem. To run the coil packs you would need to run a standalone since I highly doubt its going to be possible to hook up the coil packs to our computer thats designed for a distributor. The water inlet wouldnt be much of a problem, a small amount of welding and cutting would probably suffice.
    The coil pack setup could be adapted with an E-Manage Ultimate - it supports splitting the ignition trigger signal into up to 6 channels. You just need the power transistor/coil assembly out of a 3000GT VR-4 or 3 power transistors of your own and an MSD DIS-4 setup.
    So would I run my ignition timing off the crankshaft position sensor, or is there another sensor used for more accurate timing.
    RIP: Colin McRae, you will be missed.
    "I shall go before thee and make the crooked places straight."

2001 ES V6 M/T under construction
    1991 Volvo 244ti 300 whp daily driver
    www.gooichimotorsports.com

Quote Originally Posted by gtx
    Yepp, he used the Vr4 exh. manis, but welded on his own flanges
    not exactly. what he did was cut his own flanges to match the 9b turbos and used fed spec mani's. it worked out rather nicely, the major concern he had to deal with was the turbos being mounted too low and not offering proper oil drainage.

WarmAndSCSI
    Quote Originally Posted by DNSerrano
    Yes, but you can't use the manifolds from a 3000GT. The DOHC exhaust ports are oval whereas ours are round. I'm not sure about the bolt pattern, though.
    Just a quick question about that, would swapping the heads from the VR4 to the Galant 6g72 be possible? I know they are a different orientation, but can't you use the front cylinder head for the back and vice versa? That got me thinking there for a second, then do a similar setup with the twin turbos. Maybe the engine bay might be too small for the dohc swap to be achievable. If i only had a V6 to find out. Anyway you might have come across this question before I believe when trying to get the most power out of your V6...
    That's fine and dandy but the water pipe inlet would be toward the back of the engine bay, and then you'd have to convert to DIS because there would be nothing to drive the distributor off of. There are a few more issues, both those are two of the more obvious ones.

It's known that there's not enough clearance in the engine bay of the 3G Eclipse for this, but I suspect there is enough with the Galant.
    What else is different about the Dohc heads, I know there is enough room for the heads in the galant engine bay, the intake mani may be a problem. To run the coil packs you would need to run a standalone since I highly doubt its going to be possible to hook up the coil packs to our computer thats designed for a distributor. The water inlet wouldnt be much of a problem, a small amount of welding and cutting would probably suffice.
    The coil pack setup could be adapted with an E-Manage Ultimate - it supports splitting the ignition trigger signal into up to 6 channels. You just need the power transistor/coil assembly out of a 3000GT VR-4 or 3 power transistors of your own and an MSD DIS-4 setup.
    So would I run my ignition timing off the crankshaft position sensor, or is there another sensor used for more accurate timing.
    The Ultimate uses both the cam and crank sensors to determine how to split the timing IIRC.

this is a little off topic but did anyone notice the size of the tibby's fuel rails? they look as big as mine and they have a removable crossover tube. hmmm too bad its still an inferior motor

WarmAndSCSI
    Quote Originally Posted by boostzealot
    this is a little off topic but did anyone notice the size of the tibby's fuel rails? they look as big as mine and they have a removable crossover tube. hmmm too bad its still an inferior motor
    According to RIPP, it's far superior to the 6G72. What a bunch of idiots

according to RIPP their SDS is the shit. more like a piece of.... well at least their fuel and tuning concerns. funny, they never advertise the negatives to give buyers a heads up.

Too bad it's a Kia!!

WarmAndSCSI
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Rom

Too bad it's a Kia!!
    Hyundai, same thing. Korean trash. Same with their tires. I've run nothing but Kumho's on this car so far and they're absolute garbage.

i dont wanna make a new thread, is there any chance the 6g75 would fit? probably not..

WarmAndSCSI
    Quote Originally Posted by dknight3
    i dont wanna make a new thread, is there any chance the 6g75 would fit? probably not..
    Potentially, the Eclipse guys say there's not enough room for the transmission, but they're nearly always wrong. The engine has the same mounting points IIRC, so just take some measurements and draw your own conclusions. It's more likely to fit in a Galant than in an Eclipse.

You will, however, probably want to retain your own throttle body as the 6G75 is drive by wire.

hmmm interesting... whats the difference between the 230 hp and the 268 hp ones?

WarmAndSCSI
    Quote Originally Posted by dknight3
    hmmm interesting... whats the difference between the 230 hp and the 268 hp ones?
    Isn't the 268 HP one a MIVEC engine?

oh yea thats probably it i just assumed all the engines were mivec..

Most people prefer the EVO swap with 270 horsepower, but I would rather be unique
    u make it sound like thousands of galant owner swapped evo engines into their G's

and may i remind u thats STOCK 270 hp , and with that platform as an initial setup , u can easily double that ( maybe a little less) by dumping a good 5 k , so for a 10 k project, u can get 420 hp more or less

and if ur lucky u can sell the 4g64 and access. for a few $

and as a mitsubishi engine , its top of the line quality

(and in canada all the previous EVO's 1-9 were banned caus of the front not fitting the security crash test norms or whatnot ... anyway but good news is the X should be in in January if im not mistaken ... cant wait to take one on .

2002 blue G RIP07
    2003 grey G with the heart of an Evo 8
    1999 beige G . winter beater and well its beige

WarmAndSCSI
    Quote Originally Posted by Qs
    Most people prefer the EVO swap with 270 horsepower, but I would rather be unique
    u make it sound like thousands of galant owner swapped evo engines into their G's
    I think he might mean the fact that the 4G63T is an extremely common tuner engine in general.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast