The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 1996 2.4 sohc timing marks

Showing results 1 to 10 of 10

1996 2.4 sohc timing marks

Thru a timing belt the other day. I got the new belts and I'm going to change them this weekend.
    I need help with the timing marks. I do not have a book.

You are here entirely tooo much!!
    threw a timing belt? that sounds very bad.

Not how fast your car goes but how good u drive going fast.
    Drive It Like You Stole It!
    7G Erubini Body Kit for sale
    http://thegalantcenter.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=57678

Yea I hope it is going to be OK. Not a sound when it went.
    What are the odds of the valves being OK?

You are here entirely tooo much!!
    little to slim.

Not how fast your car goes but how good u drive going fast.
    Drive It Like You Stole It!
    7G Erubini Body Kit for sale
    http://thegalantcenter.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=57678

While not optimistic once in a while you get lucky. My 94 ES has blown 3 timing belts and is still going strong at 230K miles. I have a very early 94 (bought in 1993) so perhaps that is why I have not trashed my valves.
    I highly recommend you get a Haynes or Chilton manual for your car. Autozone has Haynes manuals for around $20. Money well spent if you plan to work on your car.
    jjj
    98 ES (5 spd), 94 GS (5 spd), 94 ES (rebuilt auto), 92 Toyota 4X4, 81 KZ550 A2, 67 Mercedes 250S, 58 Mercedes 190SL

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    I dont see how people break a belt and DONT bend any valves, I dont see how it is possible. My belt just slipped while in neutral at idle rpms and I bent almost all my valves.

You can try to just put the belt back on, but chances are, you bent valves. I would also replace the auto tensioner if you havent already.
    7g for life!

Well I hit 6 intake valves. just small marks on three pistons.
    The head is in the shop right now. $225 - $325 will be the price.
    Can someone help with the head install bolt torque and clocking for the bolt torque?
    170K miles and the cyl. walls look great. Castroil 10-40 GTX must be good oil.

Edit!
    Well the price is in $425 for the head. Seven valves bent..along with cleaning, flycut, and valve grind of all, guides ,and seals :shock:

Seth,
    I don't understand it either especially after reading of other owner's experiences. My 7g that has blown the three T-belts is a very early 1994 (bought in 1993). It likes to eat its T-belt right at 60K miles. In fact the first time it ate a T-belt it had 60,001 miles on it. I l've lost a belt doing 80+mph and while it was just idling. No rhyme or reason to why it breaks T-belts and has not cause any damage. Engine has 230+K miles, is still going strong and averages 28 MPG city/highway combined.

Mits make a strong engine. I had a 88 Tredia that I put well over 200K miles on it before passing it on to my brother. It had somethig called a jet valve (as best can remember it allowed extra fuel-air mixture in the cylinder on the intake stroke). One day I heard this huge "bang" from the engine followed by a loud exhaust noise. I pulled over but as it was dark, I didn't see anythig wrong. I drove home about 10 miles with it sounding like it no longer had an exhaust system. Next day I got under the hood and found there was a hole through the valve cover and the exhaust was exiting through it. Digging into it I found the jet valve had burned up the wide part of the valve head and launched the valve stem through the valve cover (also dented the car's hood). Despite the missing jet valve and hole in the valve cover she still ran. I installed a new jet valve and had the hole in the valve cover welded shut. I also blew a timing belt on that car without any valve issues.

Because of thse exeriences I am a firm belever ithat even if you break a T-belt, go ahead and slap a timing belt on it to see if the the engine will run. jjj
    jjj
    98 ES (5 spd), 94 GS (5 spd), 94 ES (rebuilt auto), 92 Toyota 4X4, 81 KZ550 A2, 67 Mercedes 250S, 58 Mercedes 190SL

Experienced TGC Member
    Hey man. If you go to www.galantforums.com and sign up.. click the downloads button.. and there is an almost complete service manual for the 7g and it does have timing..... Dont buy haynes. They fucking suck.... If you waste any of your time with any book.. The best ive used so far was alldatadiy.com but the one at galantforums i believe is from the dealer. Good luck.

Thanks Shadow!! 8)
    I'll get it from work monday.
    Dial up at home is 28.8 on a good day