Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 65

bangin bass

my car audio set up is

1 12" kicker L7 in ported box
    Sony xm2002gtw 1200 watt amp
    Dual xdmr7700 head unit
    front door alpine speakers
    scosche 500k farad cap ( thinkin about upgrading to a tsunami 2 farad cap )

but its not pushin amazingly hard like a i hear people say the L7 pushes. What amp should i get to really get this thin' bangin? i was thinkin a kicker 1000 watt mono amp or a good mtx amp. Also, if i blast the volume too high there's distortion kinda. maybe its cuz i got a cheap dual head unit. (xdmr7700). Any help on gettin this thing louder and better? thanks

get a kicker 750w at 1ohm amp, i think it was made spcifically for the l7..another option is to get the hifonics amp 1000w at 1 ohm...that should get you right...sony i know has some weak amps (not true power at all).

Experienced TGC Member Divinity's Avatar
    This is what I suggest... The Kicker L7 is rated having 750 watts RMS, 1500 watts peak, and the Sony XM2002GTW is rated having 500 watts RMS, 1200 watts peak. So what that means.... you are underpowering your subwoofer. You need to find an amplifer that can match the RMS of your subwoofer to get it's optimal performance. As for the headunit... from what I see for the specs, it seems okay. As long as you can adjust the sound with it, you should be okay. A lot of people swear by Alpine or Pioneer (I love Pioneer head units myself) but I think you'll be fine for a while.
    ~Lady Driven~

is the kicker a dual 2 or dual 4 ohm?

i believe the L7's are 1000w RMS

if you have the dual 2, get an amp that can put out 1000RMS @ 1 ohm

if you have the dual 4, get an amp that can put out 1000RMS @ 2 ohm

also, the box might be part of your problem. is it a prefab box? what is it tuned to? i would suggest either building a box to the correct specifications or having a good shop build one for you

as far as distortion, you may have the gains turned up too high on your current amp. especially if the amp is only 500w RMS. trying using a digital multimeter to properly adjust your gains. there is a tutorial on JL audio's website
    ...pain is temporary, pride is forever...

Quote Originally Posted by nycking23

The 15"L7 is 1000watts RMS, the 12" is 750watts RMS. And I think they are 2 and/or 4ohms
    ~Lady Driven~

Quote Originally Posted by Divinity
    Quote Originally Posted by nycking23

The 15"L7 is 1000watts RMS, the 12" is 750watts RMS. And I think they are 2 and/or 4ohms
    oops, i could have sworn he said he had a 15

well scratch what i said about 1000, and replace it with 750

but they are still DVC subs
    ...pain is temporary, pride is forever...

You are here entirely tooo much!! fatal1's Avatar
    before they were stolen out of my other car i had 2 12" l7s in a ported box...i had the kicker 1000 watt amp pushing both but the sq was lacking a bit i wound up switching to the hifonics brutus and it banged and was a lot clearer

You are here entirely tooo much!! Serstylz2's Avatar
    Dual headunits are just pretty.. not the best or highest quality.. def get rid of the amp first and foremost though

yea the amp is not so good i was jus lookin for a cheap, decent amp. I guess I'll switch to the kicker 750 cuz the kicker zx1000 seems like too much power i dont wanna blow the sub. but thanks everyone cuz that helped out a lot. I live in Miami and i went to cartronics to get my stuff installed, they ordered the box for me so i guess the box is good quality, i dk the specs on it, but they know their shit about car audio so i think the box should be good.

and yea the sub i have is 2 ohms

I would get an amp that puts out ~1000W @ 1 ohm since you have the DVC 2 ohm model. This will give your amp more headroom as you can always set the amps gain to match the wattage your seeking and you wouldn't have to push the amp to its full potential. This also leaves you more wattage in case you plan to upgrade your subwoofer(s) in the future. The 750W kicker amp would be perfectly fine though since their amps are underrated. My kx1200.1 actually puts outs ~1400W @ 1ohm according to the birthsheet. I have that amp pushing my 500W type R which is seeing ~900W. I wouldn't recommend getting an amp drastically larger than 1000W @ 1ohm unless you have or plan on getting a H.O. alternator....they cost more anyway!
    It you look straight in my eyes you still might see a disguise

Quote Originally Posted by cutthrote
    I would get an amp that puts out ~1000W @ 1 ohm since you have the DVC 2 ohm model. This will give your amp more headroom as you can always set the amps gain to match the wattage your seeking and you wouldn't have to push the amp to its full potential. This also leaves you more wattage in case you plan to upgrade your subwoofer(s) in the future. The 750W kicker amp would be perfectly fine though since their amps are underrated. My kx1200.1 actually puts outs ~1400W @ 1ohm according to the birthsheet. I have that amp pushing my 500W type R which is seeing ~900W. I wouldn't recommend getting an amp drastically larger than 1000W @ 1ohm unless you have or plan on getting a H.O. alternator....they cost more anyway!
    oh yeah about that, my headlights and interior lights blink when my system is up. does this mean i need a H.O alternator, or a better capacitor cuz now i only have the cheap schosche 500k cap. im thinkin about gettin the tsunami 2 farad or atleast 1.2. my friend told me when i get my hid lights they wont blink but i jus wanna know if my battery and alternator are gonna die out . thanx bro

i dont get the whole 1 ohm, 2 ohm, 4 ohm thing but dont waste ur time explainin that to me. ima jus go with the kicker zx750.1 amp. i've seen videos of pple runnin that amp with one 12" L7 and its bangin. As long as that has my bass shakin the block im good.

Quote Originally Posted by galantgtz36
    oh yeah about that, my headlights and interior lights blink when my system is up. does this mean i need a H.O alternator, or a better capacitor cuz now i only have the cheap schosche 500k cap. im thinkin about gettin the tsunami 2 farad or atleast 1.2. my friend told me when i get my hid lights they wont blink but i jus wanna know if my battery and alternator are gonna die out . thanx bro
    Get a better capacitor.
    1997 Volvo 850 T5

Quote Originally Posted by Distort
    Quote Originally Posted by galantgtz36
    Get a better capacitor.
    Are you running on a stock battery? If you are, get an Optima yellow or red top battery, or some kind of deep cycle battery
    ~Lady Driven~

sony amps suck....

Quote Originally Posted by cutthrote
    ur pushin over 1000 watts, did u have to upgrade to a HO alternator or anythin?

You are here entirely tooo much!! Jeffylou87's Avatar
    Haha Im pushing well over 2000 watts and my alty is on the fritz... Ha never changed the battery either

Get yourself a better head unit, Eclipse preferably :D
    The Altima

You are here entirely tooo much!! fatal1's Avatar
    the head unit will just effect the interior speakers the subs will be seperate and controlled pretty much soley by the amp you have...considering you hve a gtz (going by your user name) you have an interior amp that came with the stock infinity system, and if everything was done correctly and that amp wasnt bypassed the interiors should stuill be functioning the same....all you really need is a "pretty head unit" to get better clarity in the interior speakers you should 1 upgrade them to better speakers and 2 replace the stock amp with a better one...

your choice in the 750 amp is a good idea although im not a huge fan of kicker amps myself because of the clarity they are on par with the rms watage and if you just want hard hitting bass they are great....it is a safe wattage for that sub and will in the long run make it last longer...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast