The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Buying 2001 Mitsubishi Galant Es

Showing results 1 to 18 of 18

Buying 2001 Mitsubishi Galant Es

Hey, guys!

I'm looking at a 2001 mitsu galant es. here's some info: http://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/car/491975381.html

the car seems to drive rather smooth, i liked it, but there is a little knocking sound while driving sometimes, we took it to midas, but they couldn't find anything wrong with it. they said, however, that the battery is somewhat low and the coolant is at -10 degrees, when it's supposed to be like -60, am i correct? other than that, they haven't noticed anything. am i getting a decent deal? told him, i'd give him $3900 and he agreed, should i try to push it lower? when it comes to cars, i'm a total newb, so forgive me for not knowing most of this stuff :) i love to drive, however..
    he has a pretty extensive car maintenance, not all, but a good chunk of it. seems like he was taking a good care of this car.
    anything specific to watch out for? any tips, help, etc. will be really appreciated.

Thank you,

BiG_V

p.s. the left passenger's window couldn't be opened with the driver's button, but can be operated by the passenger. is that an expensive fix?

You are here entirely tooo much!! RAZ_76's Avatar
    You dont take to Midas, take it to the dealer. Midas guy dont know crap. Knocking is not a good thing to hear, specialy when buying a car that you dontknow nothing about. $3900 is high for that milage, you'll need to service the timing belt, water pump, idlers, 400 to 700 job done by a shop. That window is going to need a new switch, you can find it on ebay for like 30 bucks maybe cheaper at the junk yard. New battery wil be like 60 bucks. I live in Oklahoma City, 5 minutes from Edmond and I would not mind to look at it for you if you like.

as far as i know, he already changed the timing belt at about 65k miles. yeah, that would be great, i'm supposed to meet up with the guy sometime monday afternoon. let me know! appreciate ur help! btw, i looked it up at kbb.com and the value for good condition is close to 5 g's...

p.s. and it's not really a knocking sound, dunno how to describe it, but it's not loud or anything. when u hit a road crack or something, it makes that sound, maybe something is loose? comes from the left-rear i think.

You are here entirely tooo much!! fatal1's Avatar
    nmmm sounds like a bad motor mount if it make a thump when you hit bumps and stuff

Experienced TGC Member glantv699's Avatar
    I wouldn't pay more than $3500 for that car.

> TGCPA - SOUTHEAST
    > 2010 Evolution X SE #183 of 340 (1 of 54 in Octane Blue)
    > 1999 ES V6 (Sold 2/2011)

also find out if he changed other belts when he did the timing. Because if not, you'ld still have to change the other belts and pulleys + water pump and have to remove the timing belt anyway. some people also use the cheap stuff when replacing belts. Mitsu OEM belts are very good quality. I do not trust the quality of generic brand belts. Had one break on me before.

You are here entirely tooo much!! RAZ_76's Avatar
    Timing belt will need to be replaced again at 125000 so thats something to think about, I think it's every 60000 miles. Where are you metting him at???

i go to school here at UCO, so somewhere on campus. we've met twice already. do u think u can make it today? i can call him up and arrange a meeting. check ur pm :)

Quote Originally Posted by glantv699
    I wouldn't pay more than $3500 for that car.
    what do u mean "for that car"? i just read this thread: https://thegalantcenter.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=58179 and the guy paid $3900 for an older car with more mileage

Well, the guy bailed on me, but i happened to find another galant
    http://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/car/460950996.html

right now she asks $5000, but said can take "a tad less", dunno how much is a tad, but i offered her $4300, we'll see what she says. what do u guys think?

p.s. dunno how u guys feel about civics, but one guy offered me a 2000 civic si for $5900 with 95k on it. what do u think?

Quote Originally Posted by BiG_V
    Well, the guy bailed on me, but i happened to find another galant
    http://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/car/460950996.html

right now she asks $5000, but said can take "a tad less", dunno how much is a tad, but i offered her $4300, we'll see what she says. what do u guys think?

p.s. dunno how u guys feel about civics, but one guy offered me a 2000 civic si for $5900 with 95k on it. what do u think?
    I'm with the others, you didn't miss anything.

Now this other Galant: It's a tiny bit better since it's newer and has less miles on it. But you'll still have to do the belts and such within a year. And that towing package would worry me, you are not supposed to tow with the Galant according to the manual.

Civics are ok, personally I'd rather get a Galant. (It's cheaper too.)

I sent you a message, check your messages.

Quote Originally Posted by gtx

Now this other Galant: It's a tiny bit better since it's newer and has less miles on it. But you'll still have to do the belts and such within a year. And that towing package would worry me, you are not supposed to tow with the Galant according to the manual.

Civics are ok, personally I'd rather get a Galant. (It's cheaper too.)
    what's a towing package? can you please explain.

I def. wouldn't get the first one, the second is alright. I only paid $8,000 for my 2001, which was back in 2002 (so only a year old) and with 34k miles on it.

I personally would try to find something under 70k miles if possible, although that can be difficult.

people keep posting that they would not get the first one, why not? it seemed like a nice car.... i know u'd know better, i just want to find out why u didn't like it.

people keep posting that they would not get the first one, why not? it seemed like a nice car.... i know u'd know better, i just want to find out why u didn't like it.
    I would have bought the first one.

Personally, i would never buy a car with over 100k miles, and with a knock on top of that, that you were not able to determine what it is, I would have stayed away. Personal preference.

get the civic u wont regret it