The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Camshaft Seal Leaking

Showing results 1 to 4 of 4

Camshaft Seal Leaking

1997 galant ES, 2.4L SOHC inline 4, AT, Stock with ~ 150K miles in decent condition except for a small oil leak that appears to be coming from the camshaft seal area (definitely not valve cover). I would like to tackle this replacement job myself, but I need some advice from the experts out there.

Is this something that an average person can handle and if so, what are the key things (tips and tricks) to look out for?
    Thanks for any help.

You are here entirely tooo much!!
    That all depends on how mechanically inclined you are, and if you got the right tools.

Not how fast your car goes but how good u drive going fast.
    Drive It Like You Stole It!
    7G Erubini Body Kit for sale
    http://thegalantcenter.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=57678

Quote Originally Posted by bronxbombr
    That all depends on how mechanically inclined you are, and if you got the right tools.
    I would say that I am above average, as far as "mechanically inclined" is concerned. I do have a set of the common craftsman tools.

I guess, my question is the following.

In order to pry out and replace the camshaft seal, do I need to fully remove the timing belt from the car, or can I just tie-wrap the belt onto the camshaft gear and carefully remove both together without disturbing the bottom portion of the belt?

If this question is ridiculous, please bear with me as I am a novice at this sort of thing.
    Thanks.

Experienced TGC Member
    I know im a little late on this.. But personally. i wouldnt trust tie wrapping anything and doing it that way.. id take my time.. pull the camshaft.. and replace the timing belt while i was there.. but thats just me personally.. As for the seal.. its easy.... Just unbolt the cam gear.. unbolt rocker arm shafts.. pull the cam gear out or atleast far enough to get the seal out then pull the seal. replace it.. then goes the installation process!