The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Camshaft reluctor ? or Camshaft sending Cylinder. Same thing

Showing results 1 to 18 of 18
    TGC Regular

Camshaft reluctor ? or Camshaft sending Cylinder. Same thing

Ha, i knew i was a 7g in discuise, lol

anyways, i have been having a number of problems sience i have rebuilt my motor, Long story short, i messed this part up, and mitsubshi is a buncha idots ( the dealership where i live ) And i was going to have someone check out there ride for me, see if they cant help me.

Pictured on the left, Is the " Camshaft Reluctor " i pulled from my car that Tore some shit back we will say, lol. I modified it, And the car is really touchy to these. Anyways. It didnt work, So i bought 3 of them damn things now,
    ( the one on the right as pictured below )

My 8g galant was made in OCT 1998, and i belive it has the older 2.4 L
    ( thats usally flipped around pre 1999 ) and it takes a diffrent reluctor than what the dealership says for my VIN. The one i need is the one on the left

The one on the right is standard for any 8g ! At least, According to the dealership, Every 3g eclipse, 8g galant, and dodge seabrings. All have the reluctor on the right, they wont stop telling me to bring my car to them, and they will fix it.

I was wondering. Does the 7g 2.4 L Reluctor look all fat like the one on the left ? or is it completly difrent ? I notice, Mine only has 1 notch in it as well, where the " new one " has 2 little nothces.

This is all i need, cause the car runs like this with the OEM 8g Reluctor.

WarmAndSCSI
    No, stop making new threads. That part is the supersession just like I said. Mitsubishi replaced it for some reason and it IS backward compatible with all 8G 4G64's.

Nobody is going to help you if you don't take their advice seriously. Myself, bronxbomber, and underated have all given you loads of advice. You've ignored nearly half of it. Take your car to a professional mechanic.

Listen to the people that give you advice for once. They are some of the most knowledgeable people on these boards. Plus, if you actually did your homework you would know the 7g came with a distributor.

222whp/250wtq

TGC Regular
    Ok... Thanks for the advise, i guess im on my own on this one, sorry for inconviencing you. and the 1998 2.4 L Eclipse does have one, that is a difrent part number than the one i have. i just wasted 275 $ getting my timing belt set correctly, Thats all i had money for, And it runs EXACTLY the same. I was just hoping to replace this part with exactly what was in my car before is all, I think it would run fine... The only Half of it i have ignored is taking it to a mechanic, Cause i would if i could. But i cant man. So i dont know what to do.
    nobody told me it was backwards compatable, and i spoke with mitsubishi, they said that the part number was suppressed. They basicly spoke to me like my part never existed, and said it was a difrent engine....
    So than the Cylinder on the Right would work in any 8g ? as well as the cylinder on the left ? Cause i even spoke with underated. he said it was funny that the one i pulled out of my motor was diffrent.

I dont see what advice i can take... other than take it to a mechanic, And i cant.... mechanics around here sell your car if its not paid in 30 days. Im not down with that... I have a broken part, i think if i fixed this 12 dollar part, it would work fine. i dont see no need in loosing my car over it.

TGC Regular
    i dont get how the computer can even read them the same, they are 100 % diffrent, in every way... It would throw completly difrent signals. You said my issue was with timing, i paid all the cash i had to get it set correctly, I couldnt afford for him to do anything else, and i feel like an idot now. cause i did have it timed correctly. Mitsubishi even said themself, there is no need to tension an auto tensioner. And i had it set correctly in the first place, and once again, told me to bring my car to them and they will fix it.

WarmAndSCSI
    Okay, if you would have listened, you would know that I was talking about every aspect of timing. The entire valve train and the crankshaft/camshaft position sensors which give you your ignition timing. I'm willing to bet you've checked none of those.

And, yes, the fucking service manual has a strict procedure for setting the pre-tension on the tensioner pulley. Don't follow it and the auto tensioner will go bad and wreck your valvetrain.

That dealership is full of shit.

TGC Regular
    Well Thats why im so sceptical, i mean, i dont know how to check valvetrain timing. and i know the dealership is a buncha idots, and they are going to charge me prolly a grand for standing around looking at it.

You are here entirely tooo much!! Stewi's Avatar
    OK. Im going to say this as nice as possible.

Stop being ignorant.

It wasnt "supressed" it was "superceeded" (spelling is prob wrong)

Essentially what this means is they made a new part with a new part#, that is a compatible replacement for the old one, but not exactly the same.

It happens all the time. Mitsu will find a defect in a design, or adapt the part to be compatible with different engines yet still function with the old ones.

I have the mitsu CAPS factory parts database and it shows when parts are superceeded.

A bunch of people have tried helping you but you seem to not believe what they are telling you, if this is in fact the case, when why bother asking the question if you think they are giving inaccurate info?

I tried to sift thru all your posts and I dont even understand what the real problem is because 95% of the the thread is you ranting and raving about mechanics and spending money and about pre-transverse model and date of manufacture on the engine and stuff. Keep it simple. If you would like some more help, feel free to PM me, and explain what the problem is.
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

TGC Regular
    Well i did pull everything back apart that last time, the crank sensor was good, at least as far as i could tell. There was no damage, it was all snug and tourqued to spec. Thats why orginally went into this with somone that " knew what they were doing " and even my friend kevin, is just kinda bailin out on me, i dont know any other mitsu mechanic's

TGC Regular
    sorry man, i will just take it somewhere. my car runs like shit. after my friend helped me rebuild the motor. And its just a nightmare. i wish people woulda been more clear on that, i woulda stoped buying reloctors a while ago, there only 20 bucks a piece, but that adds up. Basicly im guessing my valvetrain timing is off, somehow. I dont know. i dont even know how to check it.

WarmAndSCSI
    Take it to a mechanic that has a computer diagnostic system. It basically monitors your ignition system inductively (clamps onto the spark plug wires) and diagnoses what's wrong by analyzing the waveform of the secondary ignition system. The stuff is really neat and will give you a diagnosis whether you have a mitsu or not.

edit: they can do a "compression test" or "engine balance" check this way too. It may be exactly what you're looking for. Most nice shops should have a system like this.

TGC Regular
    yea, he wanted 160 $ to do that, plus 75 $ an hour. so i dont know, i guess its to rich for my blood. ill have to save money first. my friend kevin has a whole diagnossis system, But he is just ignoring me now. im scared to let anyone touch my car.

TGC Regular
    i know that needs done, but we dont have any nice shops here man, they all suck, and ya. i have just heard nothing but bad things from mechanics around here. Im to afraid they will tell me a problem that i dont really have. and not even fix anything, as usal.

Seems that mechanic didnt have no trouble redoing my timing, exactly the way i had it done, and obviously didnt check anything else. he didnt even have the proper tools i bet ya.

Sorry for all the ranting, i just really want my car back, im sick of walking 5 mins in the cold ass rain and snow, and heavy winds, and we are getting pounded with storms and shit its nasty right now here in oregon.

WarmAndSCSI
    Can't you drive it somewhere where you can get a good diagnosis? I know Southern Oregon is in the middle of nowhere, but there's gotta be a high tech mechanic around somewhere.

TGC Regular
    would it be ok to drive it ?

TGC Regular
    i been askin everyone, i work in a gas station, but the mechanics i knew and used to use, ended up messin up my ex girlfriends car, and got sue'd buy a bunch of people. then i meet TGC, and done everything myself ever sense. Anyways. I could throw the new reluctor back in, then it will stay running, but its bad if i give it any gas, i dont know how it would drive.

You are here entirely tooo much!! Stewi's Avatar
    When you say, "bad" what do you mean? is it making crazy noises? is it starting to stall? what happens? Im guessing you already changed the cam angle sensor? When you said you had someone set the timing correctly, did they check and make sure you didnt have the balance shaft timing marks out of alignment?
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

You are here entirely tooo much!!
    Stop fucking talking about Kevin!! It aint his fault he got all these so called tools and computers and all that bullshit and he cant do the job right. I dont wanna hear any more about how the timing is right and you did everything to spec, because you know damn well you didnt! Its obvious, you complain about spending money but yet you have all this work done and buying all these parts and what not when you could have just went and took it to a mechanic. With that said, I say you listen to Stewi cuz you sure aint listening to anyone else. All you are doing is ranting and saying the same things over and over and over again. Its getting ridiculous

Go back to your other thread and cut and paste all of the ideas we were giving you to a notepad and i suggest you go rent, borrow, buy, or steal the fucking tools you need to get this shit right. And dont tell me ya its right and all this other junk cuz in your other thread somewhere in the beginning pages you said you didnt know much and this was your first build.

Send that plane ticket man.............

Not how fast your car goes but how good u drive going fast.
    Drive It Like You Stole It!
    7G Erubini Body Kit for sale
    http://thegalantcenter.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=57678